Premier (PAL): Auto Expo 2012 Coverage (Pictures, News, Updates)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Just like Force Motors, Premier Automobiles is one of the latest Indian entrants in the passenger car market which is selling the cars in collaboration with China-developed vehicles but under their own name badge. Yesterday, it was good enough to see them participating in Auto Expo 2012 with complete enthusiasm when they officially highlighted the New Rio SUV. Ever since launch, Rio has never been able to successfully grab the attention of market and it was always criticized, especially for dated design, engine and poor after sales network of Premier Automobiles Limited (PAL). However, the new Rio is packed with a better design and advanced BS-4 compliant 1.2 Litre Petrol engine. Quality wise the car is much better than previous models but from my observation, I believe there is still a huge scope for improvement, especially in terms of plastics quality (Door pads look cheap) and features. Have a look at these photographs to judge yourself.

Premier has chosen to keep their exhibit in a very prominent location; in midst of the pavilion of two renowned auto manufacturers and top of that, it is located right in front of the entry gate of the pavilion. Although the exhibit area is not very big but it is vibrantly designed and features total three Rio’s (i.e. in White, Red and Silver) along with along with the engine and its specifications tagged beside.

Thread Starter #2

350Z

Core Team
Re: Premier Auto Pavilion Auto Expo 2012 Coverage (Pictures, News, Updates)

DSC06501.jpg

DSC06503.jpg

DSC06511.jpg

DSC06509.jpg

DSC06510.jpg

DSC06507.jpg

DSC06508.jpg

DSC06506.jpg

DSC06505.jpg

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team

PAL AE 2012 added and updated.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thanks 350Z for covering the new Rio. I was looking forward to see it.
It does look nice. [clap] Have they disclosed the prices? And when will it be launched?
And does it have the Fiat engine?

Last edited:
Re: Premier Auto: Pavilion Auto Expo 2012 Coverage (Pictures, News, Updates)

Both the interiors and exteriors are good looking and the airy cabin feels comfy.
Anyway thanks for the coverage[clap]

Thread Starter #6

350Z

Core Team
Got the brochure of New Rio. Will update with more information soon.

Drive Safe,
350Z

The Rio is available with a 1.2L petrol engine with 77 bhp. Premier promises 15 km/l of fuel efficiency. It is also available with a 1.5L diesel engine delivering 65bhp and 16 km/L.

Premier said the Multijet Rio will be available by April 2012.

Rio is available in Red, White, Silver and Black. All models come with:

Power steering

Front power windows

Electrically operated mirrors

Central locking

CD/MP3 Player

Higher models come with ABS, keyless entry and alloy wheels.

Prices of the Rio start from 4.7 lakhs right up to 6.35 lakhs (ex-showroom Pune).

But there are no sales outlets ? not even in Pune, how they can expect this car to sell well ?

Though I have seen some Rios on the road, I wonder what is it about this contraption that makes people go out and buy it - It is not a car, it is not a MUV (though it is derived out of one), it is definitely not a SUV. It has only got (till very recently) a neanderthal TUD5 diesel engine (remember the Peugeot 309 GLD/Premier Padmini D/118 NE D?), zero brand recall, inexistent dealership network, and is not that cheap either. And everytime I think this I end up with one conclusion. NO TASTE. This could only be bought by someone who has no taste. Just look at it. If I don't have the money to buy a proper SUV and I also think that by buying this thing for Rs 6 lakh, I can fool people that I am driving around in a proper SUV, would you say that I am a man of great taste?

On the other hand, I think its a pretty good marketing move by premier. They knew no one would buy a Rs 6 lakh Premier car over a Maruti/Hyundai/Toyota/Ford/Chevy/er...Tata, so they created a USP - let's build this thing - a SUV that isn't a SUV but could be sold as an SUV at a price no one could hope to buy a SUV for and sell it to someone who has Rs 6 lakhs but no taste. Et voila ! Another niche was born ! Bring on the Rio for the tasteless masses !

Isn't there a reason why there is no premier Rio owner on TAI? Think.

The new Rio can't be written off just because there is no single Rio owner on TAI.
Agree, that the interior quality is not good in existing Rio, no dealer network, old engine, perhaps under-powered as well. But Premier is all set to correct all the short-comings in the new Rio. The new Rio (Zotye-Nomad-II) looks great (looks are subjective & can't be called as of the tasteless people!). Add to it the Fiat MJD engine. They have announced to spread the dealer network in 2012.
For some, it is the price that matters & Ford Ecosport or Renault Duster which are trying to enter this segment will be launched at higher price than Rio.

The new Rio can't be written off just because there is no single Rio owner on TAI.
Agree, that the interior quality is not good in existing Rio, no dealer network, old engine, perhaps under-powered as well. But Premier is all set to correct all the short-comings in the new Rio. The new Rio (Zotye-Nomad-II) looks great (looks are subjective & can't be called as of the tasteless people!). Add to it the Fiat MJD engine. They have announced to spread the dealer network in 2012.
For some, it is the price that matters & Ford Ecosport or Renault Duster which are trying to enter this segment will be launched at higher price than Rio.
Though I have seen some Rios on the road, I wonder what is it about this contraption that makes people go out and buy it - It is not a car, it is not a MUV (though it is derived out of one), it is definitely not a SUV. It has only got (till very recently) a neanderthal TUD5 diesel engine (remember the Peugeot 309 GLD/Premier Padmini D/118 NE D?), zero brand recall, inexistent dealership network, and is not that cheap either. And everytime I think this I end up with one conclusion. NO TASTE. This could only be bought by someone who has no taste. Just look at it. If I don't have the money to buy a proper SUV and I also think that by buying this thing for Rs 6 lakh, I can fool people that I am driving around in a proper SUV, would you say that I am a man of great taste?

On the other hand, I think its a pretty good marketing move by premier. They knew no one would buy a Rs 6 lakh Premier car over a Maruti/Hyundai/Toyota/Ford/Chevy/er...Tata, so they created a USP - let's build this thing - a SUV that isn't a SUV but could be sold as an SUV at a price no one could hope to buy a SUV for and sell it to someone who has Rs 6 lakhs but no taste. Et voila ! Another niche was born ! Bring on the Rio for the tasteless masses !

Isn't there a reason why there is no premier Rio owner on TAI? Think.
Agree, that many who can't own a proper SUV will go for Rio.With new engine and the Fiat diesel engine Coming in April Rio could be a hit among the masses.May be Rio is for someone who want little bit different,may not a hatch or a sedan. Well coming to looks that it is not bad nor excellent design can say better than a Tata Manza.Surely there is a fan following of Rio.

Last edited:
Count me in on this as well, this isn't a looker however I agree with others that this will bridge the gap for people who want a mid size SUV at a cheaper price. All in all a good marketing strategy by PAL to unveil it at the Expo & in the meantime build the network to make it available for the masses

I had seen this model at the ACI performance show, frankly speaking, i would have bought it if it had a maruti tag to it. It looks decent, has decent interiors. Just because PAL lost out on the first mover advantage, doesnt mean that the car is bad. Look at it this way, because of Premier, Mahindra, Renault, Ecosport, Maruti are all eyeing the micro SUV arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom