Precautions To Be Taken Before Long Drive?

I have filled 32 PSI nitrogen in all four wheels. Is that okie? and should i have more points in spare wheels?

I always fill 32PSI at front because of engine weight & 30PSI at rear.

for spare wheel I keep 34PSI.

I think you can keep 30PSI at rear & for Spare wheel just add 2 points more. that is enough.

Have a safe Journey[:)]

Thread Starter #17
Guys, I will be starting the trip in another hour or so. It is raining here in chennai. Do not know about enroute and Madurai.

I might not have access to net for couple of days. Meet you again on Monday Evening.

Guys, I will be starting the trip in another hour or so. It is raining here in chennai. Do not know about enroute and Madurai.

I might not have access to net for couple of days. Meet you again on Monday Evening.
Raining in Chennai at this point of season !![frustration] oh God !! if so, be bit careful while driving Sethu, things to keep in mind are low visibility and sudden braking !!

I wish you a very nice journey ahead and come back safe !!

Oh that is the reason I told you to buy a nice Android/Windows to stay connected with us[cry]

Thread Starter #19
Am back to TAI i would say rather than to chennai. It was raining for 150 KMs but after that nothing.

I had wonderful drive up and down for around 900 KMs. Met my collage room mates after 22 years. It was superb Experience.

Will write about it later with some pics.

I have to get one guralla sir. Since I cant use camera phone, I thought of going for some low cost TAB. let me see.

Welcome back Sethu Sir!! Wish you and your family a very happy new year.
Please post your travelogue as soon as possible. waiting for pics and do let us know about the FE of your Sparky.

Preparation for Road Trip

Dear all,
Since I am planning a 10 days road trip to Southern India in coming December, request your guidance in order to prepare for the same.
I have almost finalized the route, but at the same time I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to preparation of the car for a 4.5k km round trip.
FYI: I live in Pune, Maharashtra, and the concerned car is Maruti Suzuki Swift Vdi (2010 model). As on date, the odometer reading is 80k kms. It was serviced at MASS when the reading was around 76.6k kms, which includes EGR cleaning (for the first/second time, I believe) & brake pads were replaced immediately after this service with Bosch's (purchased online, and fitted by a local mechanic, saving of Rs 950[:D]). From the delivery date till the very moment, it is running on mineral oil. An year ago, the stock bulbs were also replaced by 90/100w h4 with relay kit. While searching for decent grip & ride comfort, the tire size has been changed to 185/70 R14 (Conti cc5) when the odometer was at 63k kms.

As of now, I am planning to get it serviced, just 2 weeks before the departure day (in December) since the car's odometer will be showing roughly 85k Kms by then (I guess) and also I will be switching to Synthetic oil (preferred: mobil delvac 1) specifically because of the cold starts I might face during the journey. I would also be opting for WA & WB outside MASS after getting it serviced.

The planned route:
Pune-Bengaluru-Rameshwaram-Kanyakumari-Kovalam-Allepy-Munnar-Mysuru-Pune

Questions:
1.) The important one: Should I opt for Timing chain replacement during the planned visit to MASS in December before leaving for the trip or should I do it after coming back to Pune, in January? Also, how much will it cost? (MASS guy says, 12k INR)
2.) Apart from the regular servicing & top-ups, what things should I ask MASS guys to go for?
3.) What should I carry (like oil, coolant, extra bulbs for headlight, etc..) during this trip?
4.) Once I am back, should I change the oil immediately? If yes, Mineral or Synthetic?

Kindly let me know, if I need to do anything additional, before starting for the trip. Also, if any member from Pune wishes to have a test drive of the car, before posting any suggestion, you are most welcomed.

@Admin: I have opened a new thread since I could not find any similar thread. Request to merge this thread, if any already exists.

Regards.

Last edited:
Re: Preparation for Road Trip

Hi, you should carry extra bulbs,oil,coolant. Check Stepney tyre. A windshield cleaner also to make easy driving at night. 2 pillows in car. Some snacks. A air inflator. You don't need to service it now after trip you can service it. My Fiat Linea timing chain costed 10k at Fass. Check horns etc.
When you are halting at night make sure you get a room in good hotel's with security. Try to avoid small hotels at night time. The best way is where volvo buses stop for food in hotels you also stop there for food. Make sure all papers of car are ok.
Pollution,rc,insurance, etc. Make colour Xerox of rc 2 copies. When cops stopped you. First you show this. If they ask original rc then you show original. Couple of cell phone chargers. Best of Luck

Last edited:

Hi Manish, thanks for all the suggestions. I have added all the said things to my list. As of now, I don't have an air inflator, but will be borrowing the same from my cousin. Also as said, will also be caring all the required documents (with required number of colored photocopies) & will make sure that I always stay at a secured hotel and also will stop for food at similar places.
But regarding servicing part, I am not 100% sure whether I should go without getting the car serviced, as by December, the car would have completed 8k kms with the currently poured mineral oil. And since the car might also be driven by my friends, with different driving manners, an additional 4.5k kms of the trip might hamper the engine/ride quality, if done with the same oil.
Or may be I should simply change the oil before leaving (mineral / synthetic ??) without getting it serviced? But then, what about timing chain ??

Hi Manish, thanks for all the suggestions. I have added all the said things to my list. As of now, I don't have an air inflator, but will be borrowing the same from my cousin. Also as said, will also be caring all the required documents (with required number of colored photocopies) & will make sure that I always stay at a secured hotel and also will stop for food at similar places.
But regarding servicing part, I am not 100% sure whether I should go without getting the car serviced, as by December, the car would have completed 8k kms with the currently poured mineral oil. And since the car might also be driven by my friends, with different driving manners, an additional 4.5k kms of the trip might hamper the engine/ride quality, if done with the same oil.
Or may be I should simply change the oil before leaving (mineral / synthetic ??) without getting it serviced? But then, what about timing chain ??
Ok then. Change engine oil to synthetic before going to trip. Why are you using mineral oil? As your car is crossed 80k it's recommended to use synthetic oil. Yes engine and ride will be harsh on same engine oil. Coming to timing chain. Is your engine making noise from timing chain???
if yes change it. If it not making any types of noise then you can do it after trip. I have changed timing chain on my Linea at 70k kms it costed me 10k... Check all fluids and
Do wheel alignment do not forget this.

As of now, I cant here any noise from the timing chain, but MASS guys says that it should be changed when the car is nearing 100k kms. Also, I saw a swift with 80k km on odometer at the service center, which stalled because of timing chain breakage (that's what service guy told me). But at this moment, I guess I should wait till December to finalize anything related to it. Even if anything comes up during the trip I believe I can get it done somewhere in Southern India (Will keep a list of good MASS in the area I will be visiting, just in case required).
N regarding using mineral oil till date, the reason is very simple for me. Personally I am quite satisfied with the mineral oil and also I don't have any experience with synthetic oil. I never thought of opting for synthetic, as mineral oil is able to fulfill my requirements at almost 1/3rd of the price of synthetic. Additionally, I usually change the oil between 6.5k to 7k kms. But, I will switch to synthetic specifically for the trip. Once I am back from the trip, I would be able to decide whether to continue or to switch back to mineral, depending on my experience with the synthetic oil.
Can you please throw some light on why you said "recommended"? I mean, is it recommended by MSIL or this is based on multiple user reviews? Since my car is from 2010 lot, it does not fall under the chassis numbers mentioned in MSIL's circular about the oil change.
WA & WB is planned for December, but from the non-MASS guys.

As of now, I cant here any noise from the timing chain, but MASS guys says that it should be changed when the car is nearing 100k kms. Also, I saw a swift with 80k km on odometer at the service center, which stalled because of timing chain breakage (that's what service guy told me). But at this moment, I guess I should wait till December to finalize anything related to it. Even if anything comes up during the trip I believe I can get it done somewhere in Southern India (Will keep a list of good MASS in the area I will be visiting, just in case required).
N regarding using mineral oil till date, the reason is very simple for me. Personally I am quite satisfied with the mineral oil and also I don't have any experience with synthetic oil. I never thought of opting for synthetic, as mineral oil is able to fulfill my requirements at almost 1/3rd of the price of synthetic. Additionally, I usually change the oil between 6.5k to 7k kms. But, I will switch to synthetic specifically for the trip. Once I am back from the trip, I would be able to decide whether to continue or to switch back to mineral, depending on my experience with the synthetic oil.
Can you please throw some light on why you said "recommended"? I mean, is it recommended by MSIL or this is based on multiple user reviews? Since my car is from 2010 lot, it does not fall under the chassis numbers mentioned in MSIL's circular about the oil change.
WA & WB is planned for December, but from the non-MASS guys.
Fiat recommends Synthetic oil. As Same engines in linea & swift. I have heard somewhere that maruti service center uses synthetic oil. Fiat service intervals are 15k/year. As my car completed 1,20,000 lakh kms. Didn't have any issues. And many users have good experience with synthetic oil. After changing synthetic oil you observed smooth engine and improved Nvh levels ar higher speeds as well as lower speeds. It will improve engine life too.

Fiat recommends Synthetic oil. As Same engines in linea & swift. I have heard somewhere that maruti service center uses synthetic oil. Fiat service intervals are 15k/year. As my car completed 1,20,000 lakh kms. Didn't have any issues. And many users have good experience with synthetic oil. After changing synthetic oil you observed smooth engine and improved Nvh levels ar higher speeds as well as lower speeds. It will improve engine life too.
I am not sure whether MASS stocks synthetic or mineral, as before the last servicing I used to get my car serviced from an private garage and have confirmed information that oil was always mineral, & leading to reduction of the service bill to almost 3.5k INR per service. And also, during the last service @MASS I purchased the oil locally, & the same was handed over to MASS.
Anyways :agree:, and I will definitely switch to synthetic at least for once, in December. And I believe, would also be able to increase the oil change or service intervals to 12-13k kms[:)], if not straight 15k kms. Hoping mobil delvac (full synthetic) is easily available at that time.

Dear all,
Since I am planning a 10 days road trip to Southern India in coming December, request your guidance in order to prepare for the same.

Rohit... no need to carry extra oil, blubs and etc etc. As you are driving via national highway then you will get all these spares on the way too, if anything goes wrong. Maruti is well know for this this... [;)]

Try to carry service centre list and Portable Tyre Inflator. As you are servicing your car before going on this trip so be comfortable and enjoy the trip..

Wish you all the best for this....

Cheers
Atul

Rohit... no need to carry extra oil, blubs and etc etc. As you are driving via national highway then you will get all these spares on the way too, if anything goes wrong. Maruti is well know for this this... [;)]

Try to carry service centre list and Portable Tyre Inflator. As you are servicing your car before going on this trip so be comfortable and enjoy the trip..

Wish you all the best for this....

Cheers
Atul
Hi Atul, first of all, thank you.
Even I think, that spare parts will be easily accessible, since its "Maruti". Just reading your response has increased my satisfaction level w.r.t. owning a Maruti...[;)]
And yes, service center list & tire inflator is definitely on the list. As far as servicing is concerned, I guess before the trip, I can at least opt for local garage if not MASS (with synthetic oil), since it wont put a hole in my pocket.
But about Timing chain replacement, as you can see Manish has replaced it around 70k kms, what would you suggest regarding the same for my car which will be @85k on odometer?
Regards.

But about Timing chain replacement, as you can see Manish has replaced it around 70k kms, what would you suggest regarding the same for my car which will be @85k on odometer?
Regards.
I own a Swift ZXI and it almost completed 78K and still it rocks. I have not yet come across any such issue and never heard too. My car's entire serviced has been done at authorized service center. Initially it was with Sai Service ( Wagholi, Pune ) and now its continue with Kothari Wheels ( Ramtekdi, Pune ). I am using 'Mobil synthetic oil' and it cost me around ~3.6K.

Synthetic oil has lots of advantage than others. It's mainly help us to maintain engine life, low engine noise and smoothness, same as new car.

Top Bottom