Practical Choice? Need vs Greed While Buying Car

Thread Starter #32
Hi Guys,

After our discussion, saw lot of used cars, however none of them were in the condition to buy. Not lucky this time as I was during my Wagon R purchase in 2015.

Adding a twist to this, I have seen the new dzire petrol zxi manual, haven't driven AMT. Liked it(head, it's a maruti). I also saw etios platinum petrol liked it(heart and of course a no nonsense one). See my head vs heart are different. However I would love to buy the Liva with 1.5 petrol anytime, do not want a bigger boot. Any news about Toyota bringing in 1.5 lt petrol in Liva? Also will TD the new kid the swift petrol.

Only grouse with my current Wagon R is lack of safety features. It definitely falls short on the highways, so the itch for buying a good car is still there.

Hi Guys,

After our discussion, saw lot of used cars, however none of them were in the condition to buy. Not lucky this time as I was during my Wagon R purchase in 2015.

Adding a twist to this, I have seen the new dzire petrol zxi manual, haven't driven AMT. Liked it(head, it's a maruti). I also saw etios platinum petrol liked it(heart and of course a no nonsense one). See my head vs heart are different. However I would love to buy the Liva with 1.5 petrol anytime, do not want a bigger boot. Any news about Toyota bringing in 1.5 lt petrol in Liva? Also will TD the new kid the swift petrol.

Only grouse with my current Wagon R is lack of safety features. It definitely falls short on the highways, so the itch for buying a good car is still there.
There Etios Cross with the 1.5 l P engine and extra GC as well, if it qualifies as Liva [;)]. There is X edition which has a revamped interior with Carbon Fibre Dash material that is soft to touch along with Reverse camera as standard fitment. It only costs 6.5 lakh Ex-showroom

Thread Starter #34
Thanks Arun.

I think Etios is a long car for my use. Ideally would have liked the 1.5 petrol on Liva. The cross however is not to my taste. On another note can 1.2 petrol liva bumped up in torque and power by some tuning chips. Ideally 90 HP. If this can be done, I am putting my money on Liva petrol.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks Arun.

I think Etios is a long car for my use. Ideally would have liked the 1.5 petrol on Liva. The cross however is not to my taste. On another note can 1.2 petrol liva bumped up in torque and power by some tuning chips. Ideally 90 HP. If this can be done, I am putting my money on Liva petrol.

Comments appreciated.
Its an NA engine. Hence the power bump up may not be even significant. I owned the Liva. I can assure you, it punches way above its weight. I am trying to list out few of its pros and cons here.

Pros:

- Has huge interior space with more than ample legroom and headroom and spacious interiors.
- A Safe car, unlike Origami Baleno and the rest of those tin cans.
- Sorted ride quality with minimal roll. It has one of the best back seat ride comfort in the mass market cars.
- Ample number of storage spaces.
- Light steering. Easy to use in City and weighs up perfectly in highway.
- Has enough grunt in both city and highway, however has a below-par lower end torque.
- Solid mechanicals. Fill it, shut it and forget it
- Toyota's famed bullet-proof reliability.

Cons:

- Design itself is neutral and outdated. Build quality is light, but has passed the crash testing with flying colours.
- Quirky interiors. May not be to everyone's taste.
- Has only essential features that will keep you and your family in comfort. Does not have features that one can show-off to their friends and relatives.
- If you are an audiophile, you will find the music system pretty ordinary or even downright disgusting.
- Refinement is bit low when compared to competition.

If the Pros outweighs Cons for you, then I think you will surely enjoy the ownership. I most certainly did and will not hesitate to buy it again if it will still be in production for the next 2 years.

Just wondering if have TD Tigor. Petrol is miles better when compared to its Diesel couterpart.

All the best for your purchase.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #36
Thanks Arun,

Will drive the Liva 1.2 and check it out. Very detailed points you have penned down.
Liked it. Liva looks are neutral and not too flashy like the cross. I agree it is an confidence inspiring car on highway as compared to my Wagon R.

Net, I want a safe, comfortable, powerful and peaceful A.S.S. petrol hatch.

Thanks Arun,

Will drive the Liva 1.2 and check it out. Very detailed points you have penned down.
Liked it. Liva looks are neutral and not too flashy like the cross. I agree it is an confidence inspiring car on highway as compared to my Wagon R.

Net, I want a safe, comfortable, powerful petrol hatch, backed by peaceful A.S.S.
I feel Liva ticks all the boxes you want, except may be on power. It may not give the shove-you-to-the-seat experience, however it has ample power in it to comfortably cruise at 120 KMPH on highways. Its a family car that will not disappoint you.

^^ Agree with the above comments, The Liva is a good car with Too less NVH and Petrol is a breeze to drive in cities as well as highways, a colleague has bought a used one and the car is good enough in most of the aspects, however the clutch in Petrol models is stiff and needs lots of planning before overtaking.

Thanks Arun,

Net, I want a safe, comfortable, powerful and peaceful A.S.S. petrol hatch.
If you are okay with the looks of the ignis, I would suggest it to you . It is spacious , safe , petrol is peppy and is loaded to the gill With features (top end ) and Maruti Suzuki ASS is at the top

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I would say before taking final call on your car purchase do consider present generation cars like Grand i10, Tiago, New Swift & Baleno. If you are inclined to buy a 1.2L Liva then I suppose better would be to go for something which is equally VFM and more contemporary w.r.t features, looks and aftersales. Whether it is Hyundai, TML or Maruti, in present day all these brands are providing good customer support at large. Do a comprehensive TD.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #41
Hi Guys,

Was away for a while, coming back to my question,

I test drove Ignis AMT petrol, found it good barring jerky AMT.
Test drove micra cvt, felt solid however dull to drive.
Test drove baleno cvt, not at all powerful, very dull and boring to drive, also there is a ergonomic problem -- the windshield is small, and rearview mirror comes right in center, creates a huge blind spot. I am 5'10".
Test drove city cvt zx, better than mine which is 2014 cvt vx, however the quality is still not up to the mark, 16 inch tires did make a difference though.

Will test drive platinum etios petrol ,etios cross 1.5 petrol, jazz cvt and dzire petrol amt. Any negatives apart from interior quality on Toyotas, dzire feels very tin can like from out side. All comments, suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #42
Adding my observation after almost a year. The congestion on city as well as highway roads is increasing leaps and bounds.
The question I asked myself --
Do I need a big car -- Hell no
Do I need a small car -- Yes
Do I need a petrol car -- Yes
Do I need a safe car -- Yes
Do I need a powerful car -- Yes
Do I need an automatic -- Yes
My budget -- 10 lacs OTR price
So most cars we discussed here go out of my buying list.

This might sound like a buying template which most of us are aware of, however after spending lot of time in traffic, I have narrowed down to this, maybe age factor has added to it.
(My wagon R 1.1 is still going strong, however on highways I am not at home with it)

Adding my observation after almost a year. The congestion on city as well as highway roads is increasing leaps and bounds.
The question I asked myself --
Do I need a big car -- Hell no
Do I need a small car -- Yes
Do I need a petrol car -- Yes
Do I need a safe car -- Yes
Do I need a powerful car -- Yes
Do I need an automatic -- Yes
My budget -- 10 lacs OTR price
So most cars we discussed here go out of my buying list.

This might sound like a buying template which most of us are aware of, however after spending lot of time in traffic, I have narrowed down to this, maybe age factor has added to it.
(My wagon R 1.1 is still going strong, however on highways I am not at home with it)
Just for your need of a safe car, if you purchase now, TD Nexon XZA+petrol, or XMA petrol.
Happy shopping.

Thread Starter #44
Tata's is not what I prefer. Also no AMT Only safe, comfortable petrol automatic.

Top Bottom