PowerPig! KTM Duke 390 - October 2014

Congrats. How long is the wait?? Forget the pillion, the rider himself is gonna drench in mud without wheelhugger and be ready to get abused by the guy coming behind you
Hopefully in another month's time it should be with me.

I was thinking of removing it when I receive my bike as it doesn't suit it. Now it's a complete no no then.

AMG

Suspended
If someone can afford to own a 2 lakh bike and can afford to run it 30k km in a year, then obviously he can afford tyres [;)]

Congrats. How long is the wait?? Forget the pillion, the rider himself is gonna drench in mud without wheelhugger and be ready to get abused by the guy coming behind you
30K km = 3 sets of tyres = 20k x 3 = about 33% of the cost = 1/3 of the cost

That is insane, no matter how you look at it.

Thread Starter #19

deville_56

Honoured Member
30K km = 3 sets of tyres = 20k x 3 = about 33% of the cost = 1/3 of the cost

That is insane, no matter how you look at it.
Tyre is only 16k and lasts close to 15k, 10k is worst case scenario. If you own any other bigger capacity bike like Ninja, you will end up spending close to 30-40k in maintenance alone for 30k km ownership. If you are owning a CBR ABS, it costs close to 10k every 15k km including chain, and brake pads. It's supposedly cheaper to maintain. Check with any owners. "Extra power comes at extra cost." With KTM you are saving a lot on initial cost and spares. Brakes pads costs only 1/5th of CBR and 1/10th of Ninja. Chain sprocket costs 1/3 of CBR and 1/10 of Ninja. Duke battery costs 1/5th of Ninja. Ninja comes with IRC tyres, which costs around 2k in other markets and sold at 6-7 and good for nothing. No one bothers about that either.

Don't asses cost of ownership by just looking at tyre price [;)]. A serious owner always homeworks before buying it, so if he buys to use it for 30k, he would know what it costs.

On side note, I spend close to 10k for FZ tyres every 20k km [evil]. Spent close to 66k in running it for 80k km, around 24k for running 30k km.

An enthusiast never regret for what he spends on his machines. For everyone else, there is Splendor and Unicorn [evil]

Last edited:
Already mentioned about that in the story [evil] Tyre cost is 24k, Bajaj rebated price 16k. Will take so long to reach 10k km.
Congratulations on the new machine Dilip, Its the best value for money bike out there, better then the D200 even. [thumbsup]

Then about the tyres. On my 200, the MRF Revz are done at 9500Kms front and rear 9000Kms. And I just do a bit of spirited riding. No tyre squealing stuff, burnouts, stoppies or any of them things.

If I were to use the Metzelers instead, They would be over in under 5000Kms on the odo. Most 390 owners do around 5-7k Kms on the Metzelers before they run completely bald and you would be lucky if you manage to get 10,000Kms out of them. Its pretty hard to ride a bike as brilliant and tempting as the 390 so calm and sedate.

The Metzelers are exceptionally brilliant tyres and the perfect set for the KTMs. But the costs involved would be a bit on the higher side and one cannot go for anything inferior as well. Then the trick would be to shuffle between the bikes you have so the yearly running is low. That's what I'm doing now. And after getting the Vespa, it took 17 months for my Duke to complete 5000Kms.

Last edited:
Everything used on it was the best , but the engine was a crap RE unit . It had hell lot of low end and mid torque but dead flat after mid range. Plus RE-gene, it vibrates like hell......
Perfect statement. Single biggest fly in the ointment on an otherwise likeable motorcycle.
Then there was a black Duke 390 displayed, which was new color. Looked good in flesh. Hated the white.
Same pinch. Black looks much better.
MT Blade Raceline. INR 5650. Great padding, dual visor, double D strap, NFC tag, etc, etc.
Nice looking helmet. Please post a pic of the location of the NFC tag.
nice guy, who wont treat you like a time waster when in for inquiry
Exactly what pisses me off about most SAs at automobile showrooms.
Orange frame and alloy distinguishes it from its 200cc counterpart.
Orange wheels are a bit too much. Would prefer black ones anyday. Offline : Have they done anything about the rim cracking problem (Rajiv Bajaj refused to even acknowledge it in an interview).
139 Kg.
The radiator. Needs protector.
Get something fabricated pronto.
Fugly uncomfortable handle grips and levers carried over from Pulsar. Wished it had better grips and a buffed lever.
[frustration]Most YUCK turn off for me, if you ask.
Easy access coolant tank. Rear brake fluid reservoir......
There have been instances where humans of the canine variety have made away with the reservior caps and/or broken/twisted the reservoirs out of curiosity/for fun. Be careful where your park.
Key to max power affordable to a middle class.
[clap]Hallelujah!!

Comments on following please:

> Hard clutch

> Sudden engine cut off on deceleration

> Engine heat in traffic

> Chain snatch/chain getting loose

Its one hell of a pocket rocket. Congrats and enjoy!!

Thread Starter #22

deville_56

Honoured Member
Managed to squeeze out 300 km out of it. Impatient till 1st service, no time to run-in.

2014-10-18 08-47-01e.jpg

Congratulations on the new machine Dilip, Its the best value for money bike out there, better then the D200 even.
Then about the tyres. On my 200, the MRF Revz are done at 9500Kms front and rear 9000Kms. And I just do a bit of spirited riding. No tyre squealing stuff, burnouts, stoppies or any of them things.

If I were to use the Metzelers instead, They would be over in under 5000Kms on the odo. Most 390 owners do around 5-7k Kms on the Metzelers before they run completely bald and you would be lucky if you manage to get 10,000Kms out of them. Its pretty hard to ride a bike as brilliant and tempting as the 390 so calm and sedate.

The Metzelers are exceptionally brilliant tyres and the perfect set for the KTMs. But the costs involved would be a bit on the higher side and one cannot go for anything inferior as well. Then the trick would be to shuffle between the bikes you have so the yearly running is low. That's what I'm doing now. And after getting the Vespa, it took 17 months for my Duke to complete 5000Kms.
Exceptionally brilliant is understatement for the tyre [clap]. If it was a couple of k cheaper would have bought them for FZ. BTW the Duke MRF on FZ is just 800 km short of running 20k

Planning to take it out only on weekends and long rides. So expecting the tyre to last at least a year or 2. Will be using FZ for daily commute.

Still using the beast sedately, still fear the speeds above 65-70 particularly inside Kerala, but love the 0-60 and the way it accelerates up slopes, which anything else needs 2-3 down shifts and hard acceleration.

Nice looking helmet. Please post a pic of the location of the NFC tag.
It's hidden somewhere inside padding. Will click when remove padding.

Orange wheels are a bit too much.
But it gives the bike some character.

New updated model comes at 154 kg without fuel according to the manual, even I was wrong with 159.

Get something fabricated pronto.
Planning to put mesh after 1st service. Some vibes coming from there, gotta make them fix it before messing with it.

Most YUCK turn off for me, if you ask.
For that I brought these, yet to fit. 200NS handle grip. Gottabe direct fit.

2014-10-21 00-00-31.JPG

There have been instances where humans of the canine variety have made away with the reservior caps and/or broken/twisted the reservoirs out of curiosity/for fun. Be careful where your park.
For the time being, no public appearance, not even taking office. Who knows what happens next.

They claim it's made light in updated version, still I find pretty hard. With those hard grips, it is irritating. Not much issue with gloves. When switching with FZ, FZ clutch feels spongy.

> Sudden engine cut off on deceleration
Nothing so far. Only knocking and shut off on higher gear. Again FZ/Duke alternating issue. At speeds FZ capable of running in 3rd, Duke shuts off like 15kmph and all. Other than that didn't face any. Still gotta reach higher rpms. Still in 5k rpm though company says upto 7.5k rpm, dunno whether this will happen in higher rpm.

> Engine heat in traffic
It's horribly hot. Feel like leg will boil in no time. It you are stuck in traffic for 15 min, you are doomed. The frame will get hot, then the tank will get hot. You can feel the heat everywhere. Let if maintain a 30-40 kmph range, then it's lesser hot, but still hot.

Offline : Have they done anything about the rim cracking problem (Rajiv Bajaj refused to even acknowledge it in an interview).
Even though they are not acknowledging publically, they have been replacing parts silently under warranty for those who raising issue (they know most wont return, either goes unmaintained or ends up insurance write off). A friend of mine has been working in KTM in some other district and he was saying about the stock dealer must maintain at all times, which included chassis, alloys and even engines for warranty replacement. A friend of mine got brand new engine for his D200 for fault they could not rectify. Post-August 2014, they silently launched updated version, which is slightly heavier. Claims to have rectified all the issues.
1. Cracking alloys. New alloys, heavier, no more light weight materials.
2. Engine. Most of the engine troubles attributed to poor quality engine packings leading to frequent leaks, coolant mixing with oil, etc, etc. They have been even using M-seal instead of gasket marker to stop leakage. New model claims to have better packing material.
3. Poor chassis weld (Trellis frame). Now better (claimed).
4. Leaking rear suspension. Attributed to mud accumulation on the suspension top. They added a new plastic flap on the top of the suspension.
5. Alternator issues. New upgraded alternator. Previous ones shared with Pulsar.
They are working hard on customer feedback, but still don't know why they didn't change the handle grips, maybe none complained about it.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Ride at 35kmph at 2nd gear then give full acceleration [:D]

Many says it's not comfortable for the pillion rider since the seat is too narrow[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
Managed to squeeze out 300 km out of it. Impatient till 1st service, no time to run-in.
Even at run in rpms, the 390 could manage some serious speeds. I love the way this engine feels so stress free even at higher speeds. On a boring, straight six lane highway, this is what you need to counter boredom. Plus the exhaust note at higher rpms is pure two stroke aping music.

On the rim cracking issue, though - be careful on potholes. It'd help to accelerate marginally just before you hit a pothole to take the load off the front end; braking into a pothole is an absolute no-no since the already caved in front end would take up a massive beating and hence may end up cracking the rim.

More snaps please Dilip. Night time photo session under streetlights of the black and orange Devil of Deville[;)].

Thread Starter #27

deville_56

Honoured Member
Ride at 35kmph at 2nd gear then give full acceleration [:D]

Many says it's not comfortable for the pillion rider since the seat is too narrow
Tried accelerating in incline. It's too fast [evil] Not only pillion, rider also facing bumburn issues in long rides, yet to face.

Even at run in rpms, the 390 could manage some serious speeds. I love the way this engine feels so stress free even at higher speeds. On a boring, straight six lane highway, this is what you need to counter boredom. Plus the exhaust note at higher rpms is pure two stroke aping music.

On the rim cracking issue, though - be careful on potholes. It'd help to accelerate marginally just before you hit a pothole to take the load off the front end; braking into a pothole is an absolute no-no since the already caved in front end would take up a massive beating and hence may end up cracking the rim.

More snaps please Dilip. Night time photo session under streetlights of the black and orange Devil of Deville.
Nearest 6 lane is 200 km away and got speed cam at every speedable stretch. NH7 in TN is more closer, waiting for RC card to arrive, then top end acceleration anything can be tested.

Rim cracking is rectified as per them.

Not a good photographer [:D]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #29

deville_56

Honoured Member
Bike looks killer without number plates. When removed to install new plates.

2014-10-23 10-41-03.JPG

Windshield and clamps. Would prefer a little bit more bigger one, like FZ-S.

2014-10-23 10-48-28.JPG

Clamp is so good that you don't have to put in holes to match holes for plates to your convenience. Without these I would have to drill through the lettering and made the plate ugly.

2014-10-23 10-48-41.JPG

200NS and Duke grips. Inner pipes are same, but outer dia is bigger on Duke, means slight quick throttle action will be gone.

2014-10-23 11-11-02.JPG

Comparo.

2014-10-23 11-11-12.JPG

Added 2-3 layer foam tape to compensate the dia.

2014-10-23 11-15-52.JPG

All set in. Perfect and lighter.

2014-10-23 11-21-28.JPG

The ugly original grip. After changing this the clutch is not stressed anymore. In original setup, palm was more hurting than fingers with the heavy clutch.

2014-10-23 11-21-37.JPG

Switch gear is Minda. Lots of holes under for water draining and there was water logged inside. There is no such prob with FZ switchgear even close to 5 years.

2014-10-23 11-30-35.JPG

Final, hand guards off and new number plates on. Didn't like the look, so put the hand guards on.

2014-10-23 11-34-43.JPG

How can they rectify something they never acknowledged:stupid:?
Who will agree our bike is bad [roll]??

Updates please Dilip.
Sure. Bike is nearing 1k, most probably for first service this Monday. Returning 25-30 kmpl. Some plastic panel vibe issue there, need to be sorted at service.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #30

deville_56

Honoured Member
2014-10-25 11-48-23.JPG

Crossed 1k, run-in over.

duke 1000.jpg

1st Service Details:

Parts: (Including 14.5% VAT)
Motul 7100 10W50 (1.6 liters) - 1,319.96
Oil Filter - 74.00
Oil Filter O-Ring - 5.70
Ring O - 1.85 (God knows what)
Ring O - 1.20 (God knows what)

Labor: (Including 12.36% VAT)
Chain Lube - 112.36
Consumables - 103.37 (God knows what)

Total: 1618 INR

Serviced at Deedi Probiking Showroom. SA was bit arrogant and not so enthusiastic. But almost all reported problems sorted out. Some plastic vibration was there from front at 4000 rpm range. Some noise from rear sprocket when hitting humps or potholes. Both resolved. Speedo console has mist formation in heavy rain, had to check it in rain whether solved or not. Wanted KTM original bike cover, which he was not much interested in ordering. Service quality was good and fast.

Last edited:

Top Bottom