Possible ‘Puncture Repair’ Scam At Your Nearest Fuel Station

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Almost every fuel station has a corner dedicated to free tyre air pressure check. Usually these people also fix tyre related issues such as punctures. One such fuel pump is located near my residence. As I prefer to tank up from this pump and at the same time, check air pressure too, the attendants are quite familiar with me.

The mystery began when suddenly the tyres of my car punctured around four times in less than a month. Even though the car is quite old and tyres have started to wear out, I was deeply astonished with the fact that how are the tyres puncturing too often. Remember that my car is normally driven on some of the best roads in Delhi. So the ‘bad roads’ were out of question. Naturally, every time after a puncture, I used to get the tyre fixed at the puncture shop in that fuel station. When I brought the first puncture case, he told that the edge of the valve is damaged and therefore the tube needs to be replaced.

A few weeks passed with consistent punctures and the same issue: Valve is damaged. Eventually, he also increased price of the tube by a margin. This time I smelled something fishy. Decided to fix the puncture elsewhere from a proper ‘Tyre Shop’ located just a couple of kilometers away. I asked him the cause of continuous punctures that too at the ‘valve’. He revealed that it’s a common mischief of the local ‘air pressure’ check people sitting at fuel stations. They simply twist the valve such a way while removing the air pressure nozzle that it is damaged. My suspicious turned into truth in no time.

Now whenever I’m at air pressure check stand, I come out of the car and keep an eye. It’s been more than a month since I fixed the puncture from a different shop and personally keep a check while filling the air, there is no issue with the tyres whatsoever. Just thought to spread the word around. Feel free to share similar experiences.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I had the same problem at a filling station on ring road.Whenever I got my air checked on the station I used to find my tyre under inflated as soon as I reached any place,but this problem never happened with any other pump.
So I just stopped going to that pump and everything is okay now.

Very true. Another trick that they play is the bend rim trick. I have fallen for it once. Normally what happens is that your tubeless tyre has a puncture and probably the rim would also have some slight bend at places. All iron rims bend sooner or later under Indian road conditions.
So when you take it to the air shop at the petrol pump, they will declare that air is leaking because of the bend rim. And also show that to you under water. The truth is that any deflated tyre will leak from the rim under water, because the tyre's rubber rim does not have sufficient pressure to seal the gap.
So they will give you the option of putting a tube inside costing about half a thousand rupees as the only way to salvage the tyre.
Have been duped by them once. Next time this happened on the same tyre shop to another tyre, I asked them to fill up the tyre and put in the stepny. Went to another shop, and that person took out a nail from the same tyre. I am using the same without any problem or leakage for the past 2 months.
So just be cautious.

I have the same experience .
In my case the culprit was the driver and the tubeless tyre repair person . After few events when I declare that I will go to other person for repair , the puncture events totally stopped.
So be cautious .

Actually from my m800 period I used to go to tyre shop once in two month and fill nitrogen air. I have never been to local petrol pump or local puncture wala for air filling. Even If I have puncture I go to the same tyre shop alone.

But, in my home town, Madurai, my father used to say that when ever this puncture guys start checking your tube in the water pls be with him and closely watch. If the water is not clean and with no visiblity inside pls insist that guy to replace the water. Main reason, when the water is not clean and does not have any visibility, he can do anything under water. assume there is no puncture in the tube or even there are one puncture, he can always have a pin kind of stuff inside the water and puncture it using those pins and loot you.

Just thoght of sharing this info.

Tyre Puncture Shop Guys Puncturing Our Pockets

Petrolheads, hows life ?

Bike tyre punctured ? Going to the roadside puncture guy ? Beware.. these puncture guys have some tricks up their sleeves to make the situation look worse and loot you ! This post is to share some unpleasant experience I have faced in & around Pune roads.

Once you show the flat tyre to the puncture guy, he takes up the task of fixing it and hands us a nice chair or a comfortable seat to spend some quality time in royal way. He is gonna charge you royally though :)

There will be 2 people in the shop who'll take care of the tyre from now. One guy will take hold of the tyre and the other guy will take the tube. This is done intentionally to avoid your attention at both tyre & tube at the same time. If you show a little distrust and follow the tube guy, the tyre guy will do his job inside the shop. He will literally torn the tyre from inside using some knife or blade. If you are the tyre-follower, forget bout the tube now. And in any of the situations, be ready for at least 4 to 5 punctures in the tube. So.. "Naya tube to banta hai !!". The puncture guy will have some non-branded tubes at exorbitant prices. And you have no choice but to get one. Buy that filthy tube for 300 and feel you have got yourself a brand new one..!

In the meantime, the guy with tyre has damaged the tyre from inside and is ready to show you how bad have you ridden the bike after the puncture. He will convince you that this tyre-damage is because of your handling of the bike, its because you have driven bike after the puncture for a long time. And you are going to get convinced.

So, what next? A routine "Acchawala & Burawala" story. What's that ? The guy will tell you that you need to put in few patches inside the tyre to avoid any more problem with the tyre. Patches are some square/circular rubber made things. And the guy has them made in 2 distinct types.... "Acchawala patch & Burawala patch". Burawala will cost you somewhere around 60 rupees and Acchawala will make your pocket lighter by 300 odd ! If your sense prevails, and you go for the Burawala, the guy will give you a look which will make it look how come this bhikhari got this marvellous bike. Emotional atyachar..! And BINGO... you go for the Acchawala patch. One patch wont do it, the torn-job is done in such a way that at least 2 patches are must.

So, you get a new tube, a tyre with some man-made holes and scratches and some filthy patches to make the holes look covered. In addition to this, you had to spend 50 minutes of your time receiving the ROYAL treatment. And the royal bill ? It'll be around 1000 or even more than that.

Similar incidents happen even when a guy stops at a roadside shop just to check tyre air pressure. By some magical power, as soon as the puncture guy touches the tyre, it becomes flat. And then he makes you feel that its punctured already. Good that you got it to the right person at the right time. Now, spend your 50 minutes and be ready for the ROYAL treatment. Such incidents are happening quite regularly in Pune in and around Hinjewadi. I am sure few more Petrolheads must have seen & experienced similar situations where the puncture guys puncture our pockets for no reason. Please share if you also have seen something similar which can help all of us to be careful the next time we see a flat tyre.

So, How to avoid such situations. By being AWAKE ! By keeping our eyes Open ! Forget about that comfortable seat. Forget about the cigarette. And keep the tyre & tube with you. Hand either tyre or tube, only one thing at a time to the guy so that you always have your eyes on the work going on. Chance of mischief is minimum if you show dis-trust on the way things are going on. Don't trust the guy. Trust your eyes.

Its 80 rupees job. Don't pay 1000 !

Last edited:
Re: Tyre Puncture Shop Guys Puncturing Our Pockets

Petrolheads, hows life ?

Bike tyre punctured ? Going to the roadside puncture guy ? Beware.. these puncture guys have some tricks up their sleeves to make the situation look worse and loot you ! This post is to share some unpleasant experience I have faced in & around Pune roads.

Once you show the flat tyre to the puncture guy, he takes up the task of fixing it and hands us a nice chair or a comfortable seat to spend some quality time in royal way. He is gonna charge you royally though :)

There will be 2 people in the shop who'll take care of the tyre from now. One guy will take hold of the tyre and the other guy will take the tube. This is done intentionally to avoid your attention at both tyre & tube at the same time. If you show a little distrust and follow the tube guy, the tyre guy will do his job inside the shop. He will literally torn the tyre from inside using some knife or blade. If you are the tyre-follower, forget bout the tube now. And in any of the situations, be ready for at least 4 to 5 punctures in the tube. So.. "Naya tube to banta hai !!". The puncture guy will have some non-branded tubes at exorbitant prices. And you have no choice but to get one. Buy that filthy tube for 300 and feel you have got yourself a brand new one..!

In the meantime, the guy with tyre has damaged the tyre from inside and is ready to show you how bad have you ridden the bike after the puncture. He will convince you that this tyre-damage is because of your handling of the bike, its because you have driven bike after the puncture for a long time. And you are going to get convinced.

So, what next? A routine "Acchawala & Burawala" story. What's that ? The guy will tell you that you need to put in few patches inside the tyre to avoid any more problem with the tyre. Patches are some square/circular rubber made things. And the guy has them made in 2 distinct types.... "Acchawala patch & Burawala patch". Burawala will cost you somewhere around 60 rupees and Acchawala will make your pocket lighter by 300 odd ! If your sense prevails, and you go for the Burawala, the guy will give you a look which will make it look how come this bhikhari got this marvellous bike. Emotional atyachar..! And BINGO... you go for the Acchawala patch. One patch wont do it, the torn-job is done in such a way that at least 2 patches are must.

So, you get a new tube, a tyre with some man-made holes and scratches and some filthy patches to make the holes look covered. In addition to this, you had to spend 50 minutes of your time receiving the ROYAL treatment. And the royal bill ? It'll be around 1000 or even more than that.

Similar incidents happen even when a guy stops at a roadside shop just to check tyre air pressure. By some magical power, as soon as the puncture guy touches the tyre, it becomes flat. And then he makes you feel that its punctured already. Good that you got it to the right person at the right time. Now, spend your 50 minutes and be ready for the ROYAL treatment. Such incidents are happening quite regularly in Pune in and around Hinjewadi. I am sure few more Petrolheads must have seen & experienced similar situations where the puncture guys puncture our pockets for no reason. Please share if you also have seen something similar which can help all of us to be careful the next time we see a flat tyre.

So, How to avoid such situations. By being AWAKE ! By keeping our eyes Open ! Forget about that comfortable seat. Forget about the cigarette. And keep the tyre & tube with you. Hand either tyre or tube, only one thing at a time to the guy so that you always have your eyes on the work going on. Chance of mischief is minimum if you show dis-trust on the way things are going on. Don't trust the guy. Trust your eyes.

Its 80 rupees job. Don't pay 1000 !
Hello YogiPunto,

By any chance did this happen on Baner Road area in pune?
There is a tyre repair shop just in front of Hotel Magnolia. He is doing this practice for car & bike.
Be aware of this shop .

Re: Tyre Puncture Shop Guys Puncturing Our Pockets

Hello YogiPunto,

By any chance did this happen on Baner Road area in pune?
There is a tyre repair shop just in front of Hotel Magnolia. He is doing this practice for car & bike.
Be aware of this shop .
Sadly, this is a case with entire Pune in fact, especially, Mumbai-Pune Old Highway. Pune Puncture Walas are famous for planting nails on the road to fleece you. TAI has few threads particular to puncture scams including mine.

Here in chennai or in entire tamil nadu (this is old technique, do not know whether it is in practice in this tube less tyres era) if you to go puncher guy there will be a old tub with some dirty water where you may not see nothing inside (some shops always have clear water where you can see the bottom of the tub).

Once the tube is removed from tyre it will be filled by air and checked in this water in tub for any punchers. Here is the trick those guys do. In dirty waters normally they will have some pins. They earn in two ways here. They will check for puncture and if they dont find anything till the end, they simple take the pin and put a hole and puncture it. Another way is even though there is a puncture they will add few more to make extra bucks.

I really do not know about current situation about this problem.

Just thought of sharing.

Last edited:
Hi Guyz,Intresting thread you have here for us Mr.350z.For Bike,For Car but Even For My Cycle they do that dirty water trick sethu sir.My girl (Cycle ) has been very faithful and reliable to me and has given me no big problem till date except for Suspension failure.One day,I was at Virugambakkam Market purchasing Veggies and Till that the tyre was fine and some local kid came very fast and tried to steal and flee with my my cycle and Guess what,both the tyres were Flat and the poor kid was caught as my girl refused to move.I went with him and my ride to a nearby cycle mechanic and he said both the tube connectors were shot and so the Whole tube needed a change and thats where I caught hold of that kid.I told to the Mech that The kid did all these and the Mech told only that kid must pay the Money of Rs.250.He recognized the kid and told me he is a cycle thief and he had also tried to steal some in his shop.Then the Trick began and he showed me bubble coming but The thing was the Vault tube has been eaten by rust so air escaped and that thing is hardly Rs.10.But I didnt talk a word because the thief paid the price.So please be beware of TN's exclusive Dirty water Trick and Thieves.Thank you

Beware! Roadside Puncture Repair Shops Scam in Pune

I experienced this twice. I visited two different road-side tyre shops to fill-up air in the tyres of my car. The local mechanic pointed out low air and suspected that tyre may have puncture. When checked he showed me multiple punctures. [surprise]
I was surprised to see that many punctures and got them repaired. I always suspected something was fishy but could not understand how. Now this article explains how this scam works in Pune.
How Pune
The mechanics first fill up the tyre with a lot more air than is usually done. This allows even small pores to open up and appear like punctures. They use water mixed with soap or Eno to get the foam. The water mix once sprayed on even a pore gives out bubbles, making the car owner believe that it is indeed a puncture.

Please do not fall prey to these scamsters and fill air only at big tyre shops or petrol pumps only.

Top Bottom