Poor Radio Reception - How To Improve?

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

Had a query regarding my Sony CDX GT696UI. The radio seems to be not catching signals at all and even if it catches, the voice has so much disturbance that i am forced to switch back to USB.

Although i dont listen to radio much but when family members are there along they prefer radio. So my query here is has anyone else faced similar issue. If yes how he/she resolved it?

I googled about it and all i could find was that it might be antenna connection which i have already cross checked many times. am not sure if the antenna is faulty since i bought a new sealed one.

Please help.

Re: Poor Sony Radio Reception

ya even i have sony double din HU , and radio receprion quality is very poor. I usually do not listen to radio but when i have to give lift to my classmate girls, i have to turn on radio for hindi songs and definately it's not up to the mark .. very poor signals.

Thread Starter #3

you have any idea how we can improve the signal strength here?
i am thinking of putting a Wifi antenna (though i am not sure if the bandwidth range is same or not). Probably other TAIans may throw some light here.

you have any idea how we can improve the signal strength here?
i am thinking of putting a Wifi antenna (though i am not sure if the bandwidth range is same or not). Probably other TAIans may throw some light here.
no idea man. since i am goin to sell my sony double din , bcoz i am not allowed to change stock HU in my fluidic verna now.

i guess gurus will help you

Thread Starter #6

No replies for such a long time:please:. Am sure many people face this issue. Please throw some light here.

350Z

Core Team

I am also using Sony HU but there is no problem as such. Can you get it checked whether the antenna has been connected properly?

Drive Safe,
350Z

FM reception improvement. any suggestions?

Don't know how many of you hear FM radio while driving around the town or city. this is a related query.

I have Kenwood-Nippon Audiotronix KDC-U3556 model HU and external antenna came with the car. FM stations are received but, while driving, occasional "Hiss" sound comes.

the stations are all 25-30kms aerially(from Kakkand,Cochin). the terrain around my place is Midlands with small hilly region spread around. is this the reason FM reception is not satisfactory? also the stations are located at around 20MSL and where I live it is 15-50ft MSL.

I believe HU is not the problem- since I get FM stations from Thrissur(70kms) almost same quality as the Cochin FM stations. is the terrain and altitude the reason for interference?
even Madurai(200kms plus) and Trivandrum(200kms) are received by the HU but nearest FM stations are not properly receivable? any solution exists? I inquired in a car accessories shop as well as my friends here. some HU able to receive without much disturbances but most of them concur Cochin FM stations are not properly received.

Any Solution exists?

Re: FM reception improvement. any suggestions?

@Biker

Yes, I am a user of FM in car regularly. I receive excellent quality, but I am not in a hilly region like you. I feel HU doesn't play much role in this(mine is a JVC), but Antenna position/quality and also the kind of obstructions(hills around) you have to receive the signals.

The Ritz stock Antenna is excellent quality, but just change the angle and see if there any change, if not that might be due to the hills near buy.

yes. may be, we've to live with this quality until new FM stations comes in my area. :) still, is there any better antennas exist which can help in gaining signal strength?

Last edited:
Re: FM reception improvement. any suggestions?

Don't know how many of you hear FM radio while driving around the town or city. this is a related query.

I have Kenwood-Nippon Audiotronix KDC-U3556 model HU and external antenna came with the car. FM stations are received but, while driving, occasional "Hiss" sound comes.

the stations are all 25-30kms aerially(from Kakkand,Cochin). the terrain around my place is Midlands with small hilly region spread around. is this the reason FM reception is not satisfactory? also the stations are located at around 20MSL
Any Solution exists?
Hi biker,
Why don't you try using car antenna amplifier?
Regards,
Aneesh.

Top Bottom