Poor Mileage on Brand New 2012 Innova

Thread Starter #1
About my brand new 2012 Innova:
- Had 50km on the ODO at the time of delivery
- Had about 10 litres of diesel at the time of delivery
- I did a full tank as soon as I left the dealership after taking delivery
- The mileage meter was reset
- Have driven 100km so far within Bangalore city (bad traffic, driving on 4th gear is a rare occurrence)
- Mileage shown is between 9 and 10 km per litre. I won't be surprised if it dips below 9 in the next few days of driving in bad traffic.
- This is my first diesel car. I am an experienced driver. I am frugal on the accelerator and the clutch.

The kind of mileage I am getting - is this consistent with other Innova owners?
Comments/suggestions/tips/guidance are most welcome. Thanks a bunch.

Existing Innova owners can throw light on this.
In general I would like to say few things.
Your driving habits will be based on your earlier car, petrol in your case. Diesel engines need light foot on accelerator.
Also you need to wait for first oil change to get actual FE claimed by the maker.

Rafian,

Please don't worry about FE till you complete the running in period.

Infact you should be serious on FE only after 1st service/oil change.

You mentioned that its your first diesel car.

In a diesel car we have to adopt a slightly different driving style.

Should not press the accelerator while starting.
Don't use accelerator while moving from stationary - just release the clutch smoothly.
In slow moving City traffic, avoid pressing accelerator.

Thread Starter #4
Existing Innova owners can throw light on this.
In general I would like to say few things.
Your driving habits will be based on your earlier car, petrol in your case. Diesel engines need light foot on accelerator.
Also you need to wait for first oil change to get actual FE claimed by the maker.
Rafian,

In a diesel car we have to adopt a slightly different driving style.

Should not press the accelerator while starting.
Don't use accelerator while moving from stationary - just release the clutch smoothly.
In slow moving City traffic, avoid pressing accelerator.
I am actually not used to pressing accelerator much. I tend to leverage on the idle power before going for the accelerator. So that habit should work in my favor while driving diesel cars.

Fyi: Today my average speed in the city was 15 km an hour. Traffic was really bad. And the mileage kept dropping...

It would be good to know what kind of mileage other Innova owners are getting especially in city driving.

9 to 10 kmpl in city traffic is good mileage my cousin owns new (face lifted) it gives same mileage you have mentioned . Wait untill first service

It's also better to calculate the mileage after filling the next full tank. Mileage based on Full tank to full tank approach is the best one.

With car of such magnitude one must forget the mileage and think on driving pleasure, concentrate more on driving the first 1000 kms, not sticking to same speed, vary your speed and if possible don't cross the 100 kph.

9 or 10KM on your brand new vehicle that in INNOVA is a very decent mileage. In my previous car Tata I got less than 10 until my odometer completed 1000KM.

Mileage will increase after 1000KM or first service is completed. Follow the gear shift ratio strictly until you complete 1000KM.

It's too early for you to start worrying about the mileage, please finish the first service let the engine settle down than you can start measuring the FE, on an average Innova should give you a maximum of 12KMPL in Bangalore traffic conditions.

@Rafi,

As said earlier in other posts, I strongly believe that any new age diesel car has to finish a 10000km mark to see its actual correct FE figures and till then, just enjoy its ride with regular scheduled servicing [:)]

Thread Starter #11
Thanks for taking the time to responding to my thread. I appreciate your comments.

Yes, driving a Innova is a pleasure especially on good roads where you could use the 4th and 5th gears. Even otherwise driving an Innova in traffic is not really tiring. The seating and driving comfort is top-notch.

Will report back on FE after driving about 2K kms.

Thanks for taking the time to responding to my thread. I appreciate your comments.

Will report back on FE after driving about 2K kms.
I hope FE now would have improved. But don't expect it to be rocket high.

I had around 10-10.5 kmpl at max with 10% city traffic + 90% highway (around 100-110 kmph usually most of time.) + AC usually ON. So if able to control at 80-90kmph constant speed like taxi drivers & without AC, might able to churn around 12-13kmpl at max.

Top Bottom