Poor Build Quality of Maruti Suzuki Baleno

Thread Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I came across to witness a small incident on 26th January at Hadapsar (Pune).
A young man was driving a quite new blue baleno, and I was happily following him; watching its curves, beauty.

there was a gap of 40-50 mts b/w us. Suddenly the car stopped.
When we went ahead, stopped and watched ...... Oh My god.

A young lad driving 2 splendor, with Pillion carrying 2 sacks of vegetable; suddenly took left turn.
The lad hit the Baleno right front corner with his knees and the front bumper was completely on ground from that corner.
The locks were broken, bumper was on ground till number plate.

& &

The driver had no idea what had happened to his new vehicle. He was just shouting on that Lad.
Someone yelled on that young boy to run away, which he promptly followed.

And I was just wondering about the cheap/low build quality of that Baleno.

~Bimlendra

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Poor Build Quality of Baleno

It's with all the hyundai's and maruti. The locks give away just like that and you have to change the whole bumper plus repaint expenses.

My friend's new verna was hit by a motorcycle from behind (just at thr corner of the bumper) at 10 kmph and the bumper fell down.

Having owned the figo(which is not that great on build quality compared to the previous generation)i got to know where maruti and hyundai lacks behind. (Paint quality too)

An activa rider was busy on his phone and didn't see my car has halted hit the car's bumper at 30kmph atleast( he didn't apply any brakes) the hit was at the corner but it didn't fall and locks are still intact.
I am sure elite i20 will suffer with the same problem since verna faces it too.

No Point in judging build quality from bumpers.

Attachments

In this aspect I would say TATA is far better. Last weekend I was on my way with family to Mahableshwar. I was waiting in a trafiic jam after Khed Shivapur highway when a Armada hitted at a speed ok 20-30 kmpl me from back. Nothing happned to bumper only a scratch. only the Rear fog lamp clips were broken but the lamp is still working.

The Baleno comes with the thinnest sheet metal available in that segment. Maruti has been able to keep the weight down because of this which gives it a better acceleration and FE. Otherwise, the Baleno is a brilliant package. Its actually an irony, that all the trims of Baleno comes with ABS and Airbag.

Hyundais are better built IMO when compared to Maruti.
Tata also makes heavy cars. The little Tiago weighs above 1 tonne.

An activa rider was busy on his phone and didn't see my car has halted hit the car's bumper at 30kmph
Mine too got hit by auto-wala. Had to survive with a small dent. I noticed that my rear bumper plastic type push-pin fasteners are gone. There are two of them which are now lost and I can see two tiny holes in the midlle bottom of the plastic trim. Do you happen to have any idea where I can procure them ? Thanks.

When it comes to Baleno/Kwid/Redigo I think whole car is a crumble zone.
Exactly. Also include Celerio on the list. I had a similar experience which I wrote here. I swear the impact could not have been at more than 5-10 kmph.
It seems to me that my Celerio protects me against the wind and rain , and nothing else. Same for the swift too.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Mine too got hit by auto-wala. Had to survive with a small dent. I noticed that my rear bumper plastic type push-pin fasteners are gone. There are two of them which are now lost and I can see two tiny holes in the midlle bottom of the plastic trim. Do you happen to have any idea where I can procure them ? Thanks.
Can you post some pics of the same ?

The Baleno comes with the thinnest sheet metal available in that segment. Maruti has been able to keep the weight down because of this which gives it a better acceleration and FE. Otherwise, the Baleno is a brilliant package. Its actually an irony, that all the trims of Baleno comes with ABS and Airbag.

Hyundais are better built IMO when compared to Maruti.
Tata also makes heavy cars. The little Tiago weighs above 1 tonne.
The lower weight is not because of thin sheet metal but because of new platform which combines many parts and thus reduces weight. Even Hyundai are in the same category. It happened to be seen by me that an i20 was hit by activa which could able to take impact but i20 bumper could not.

Few days back Tata came to our office campus and showcasing their product with an USP that their cars are haavy and thus strong. Truly ! Is it so. If thats the case then why Scorpio score zero stars. Personally I did not come accros a single zest or bolt without scratches or dents in Hyderabad. May be I saw few or I don't know the real situation .

We need to come out of this perception of buying a Maruti cars blindly and in the other hand we need to understand that weight does not define safety always. A small hit by a bike can not define a product build quality. Its a basic engineering !

@balenoed, scorpio is not from Tata. I think Maruti achieved lower weight with thin sheet metal ofcourse but some other trimmings might be there. But I have been seeing accident pics of cars and for me real life accidents are more reliable than stars. And having airbags would boost your stars even if car is unsafe. Harder body does matter in case of accidents. Just Google and see Baleno accident pics and compare with say Bolt or Tiago. Now you might argue about different speeds etc but pics say a lot. My teammate owns a Baleno and he got big dents on door on very small impact. He himself says its very weak car.

@balenoed, scorpio is not from Tata. I think Maruti achieved lower weight with thin sheet metal ofcourse but some other trimmings might be there. But I have been seeing accident pics of cars and for me real life accidents are more reliable than stars. And having airbags would boost your stars even if car is unsafe. Harder body does matter in case of accidents. Just Google and see Baleno accident pics and compare with say Bolt or Tiago. Now you might argue about different speeds etc but pics say a lot. My teammate owns a Baleno and he got big dents on door on very small impact. He himself says its very weak car.
I know Scorpio is not from TATA. As we are talking about weight defines the safety, so Scorpio being a very heavy car could not do well in crash test.

As you are talking about googling , you will find many high end cars in very bad condition in accidents, so unless we don't know the real impact scenario getting a conclusions is foolishness.

You may not see many zest or bolt having bad condition because both cars are market dud and they sell in very low number.I believe Indian customers are smart enough to judge products.

You may not see many zest or bolt having bad condition because both cars are market dud and they sell in very low number.I believe Indian customers are smart enough to judge products.
I agree that Zest is a very low volume seller. But since its launch TML has sold more than 60,000 Zest cars which in itself is not a small number. I again agree that compared to Brezza which recently clocked 1lac sales numbers the above mentioned Zest numbers is very marginal.

Top Bottom