Poor Build Quality of Maruti Suzuki Baleno

I think people are right here. I would like to narrate a couple of incidents (read as Accidents), one being a spectated one and the other one experienced.
8 months ago, at Ambattur Telephone Exchange signal, I saw a Maruti Suzuki Ciaz hit a motor cyclist, in a slight speed, say less than 20 kph. The front bumper of the Ciaz got seperated from the car, fell down on the road and some greenish oil (may be coolant), was flowing out like some falls. This shows where Maruti stands in terms of solidity.

Let me narrate my experience, but don't think I am bosting. I was running a sedate 90 kph speed between Ramanathapuram to Devakottai, where the road was real bad. A Skoda Octavia 2008 (well built, well solid) which was ahead of me to avoid a sudden uplift of road, (like a cut bridge type) and braked suddenly.

My Hyundai Santro 2013, being a non ABS car, got its all 4 wheels locked during my hard braking, and kept skidding forward, even though I tried everything possible to stop car, except pumping the brake as I had my colleague's 4 year daugter standing & playing just behind my seat. From the 90 kph, the car was almost down and hit the Octavia ahead of me with some decent speed. Guess what, Octavia's rear bumper came down, hanging from the left corner [cry]
Damage to my car was comparatively minimal. My front bumper was slightly split or torn to a few millimetres, the left hand side Head Light was pushed inwards, which broke the holding clamp of the headlight inside the hood. The front number plate got damaged.

We were 5 adults and a kid in my Santro, and all of us stepped out without a single scratch, thanks to we front passengers who were wearing seat belts.

I am happy and proud of the structural integrity of my Santro, as even after hitting a solid 2008 ship called Octavia, my car didn't take any significant damage, but for the front head light which needs to be replaced just because the clamp is broken.

kkn13

Suspended
^^ Depends on angle of hit, speed and alot of factors
Theres no 100% way to determine which is safer etc
No doubt Santro was a fairly tough car especially compared to Wagon R

Also front bumper is generally not as tough as rear for safety of pedestrians and motor cyclists so that impact is absorbed by the bumper and not the car or the hit pedestrian
Thats how all Asian cars are built, to crumble the non essentials such as bumper but protect others

Ciaz and S Cross are fairly well built , tough cars compapred to other Marutis

I think Maruti improved the structural strength of the Ciaz when it was moved to Nexa, its 0 to 100 times are also a bit slower now.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Has the kerb weight of ciaz increased in the brochure?? Maruti is not known to make structural changes in the car just like that. It's all Hogwash.

Has the kerb weight of ciaz increased in the brochure?? Maruti is not known to make structural changes in the car just like that. It's all Hogwash.
Well when with Maruti the Ciaz Petrol was 1010KG and Diesel 1105Kg which became 1110KG when SHVS came along, in the Nexa the brochure no longer gives the Kerb Weight but I think the Gross weight for the Petrol Ciaz has gone up to 1490KG, not sure what it was earlier.

Err. I just Checked some old Maruti Ciaz Brochures on the web, the Gross Weight for the Petrol Ciaz was 1490KG and 1595KG. Well the details of Kerb weight on Ciaz since it moved to Nexa are not available.

Last edited:

Top Bottom