Police Cannot Stop You Anymore For Silly Reasons

ilango[speed thirst];42044 said:
I was expecting jalex reply here . and you did it.

Do you mean to say, you need to stop , even if a police constable or home guard ask you to do so . I am comfortable with it , they do their duty. I do not accept , even before giving the challan, they keep saying to pick the bike/car from police station. When the rules say i can pay up the fine in court producing the so called pink slip

There way of speaking , only if we reply in same tone , or say i have influence , they do change there tone. They think themself as lord! - irritatin , they are constantly look out for bribes , a rowdy look like guy is left off even he jumps a signal , but a man with formals is always caught up for slightest mistake.!
You are bound to stop,failing which you will be charged with Section 179 of the Motor Vehicle Act which is as I may quote
Section-179 Disobedience of orders,obstruction and refusal of information.-(1)Whoever willfully disobeys any direction lawfully given by any person or authority empowered under this Act to give such direction,or obstructs any person or authority in the discharge of any functions which such person or authority is required or empowered under this Act to discharge ,shall,if no other penalty is provided for the offence be punishable with fine which may extend to five hundred rupees.
(2) Whoever,being required by or under this Act to supply any information, willfully withholds such information or gives information which he knows to be false or which he does not believe to be true,shall if no other penalty is provided for the offence,be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one month,or with fine which may extend to five hundred rupees,or with both.

Here the trouble is the cops may out of vengeance accuse you of things you did not do and frame a charge to their whims,cause you tried to flee. I've seen cops do this kind of cruel and mean things,and then you will have to defend all that at court. But I think its better to act lawfully and adhere to laws in the first place and agree if you commit an offence.When you argue while you are wrong and the more you irritate the cops or other Motor Vehicle officers in that process,the more they will try to get you in a fix. If even after being a gentleman(Here by being a gentleman,I dont mean that you should not say anything at all. You can always be cool and tell them if they act out of their authority, Okay send the charge to court,but I will be defending the case and see you there,They wont be that eager to come to court to be boiled by the volley of questions your Defence counsel will hurdle across to them in the box. We men in black dont like cops that much too[;)])they try to play games,you always can approach a legal practitioner and move court or send a complaint to the higher officials. Its the worst thing you do if you bring politics into this,that way the cops will have the tendency to relieve those with muscle power and influence and harass the weak or common man. Its an unfair move and will aid corruption and red tapism.

Last edited:
Thats a great news. I have been stopped many times for PUC of my bike, though i always carry one.
The interesting thing is they are more interested in PUC rather than RC.

Hey thats a good news! Even here in mumbai, they are interested in PUC rather than a VALID INSURRANCE and RC!!

I have been caught 'n' number of times for silly reasons. I mean the silliest reasons!

Once I was stopped and my papers were checked, obviously they were all proper, but that guy started to argue with me because my bike was MH43, my liscence was of MH01 and I was caught in the area of MH04! Now he says you cannot ride another rto's vehicle with your liscence rto different!

Next, he told me you cannot ride the bike with some others name! (my bike is regestered on my dad's name!)

I was amazed to here these reasons from him![frustration]

ilango[speed thirst];42828 said:
Beggars , just i can say that .

they are government appointed beggars at street and road corner.
I wont say they're beggars. Its the government that makes them to go underpaid and to live lives so wretched and corrupt. Its high time that they are paid decent enough to sustain a living,and moreover these politicians and influential lot should be struck hard in the middle and should not be allowed to interfere in thecourse of law and justice. Even I had to see people talking of their influences in here. Its very sad. People themselves bribe their way out of the Law when caught red handed and then they expect everything to be fair and just.
What to say,they learn from the politicians. Just see what the Jharkhand M.L.As did even after getting caught in the doing,they still defend and hold ground saying they did not know about anything. Our leaders are setting very bad examples and what about us?,we instead of bringing them to justice act like them. I mean who are we blaming? I guess its us that we should point the finger at and soon.

The recent pay scale for police force (I am talking in terms of Kerala Police) is pretty much decent and in fact they get more than an average govt. employee (eg: LD/UD clerks) The pay scale of a Sub Inspector onwards is really good and IPS onwards, its just rocking :-P

Junior most IPS officers, of the ACP rank, irrespective of the state cadre earn a basic pay of between Rs 30k - 35k per month. In addition to this, they get all sorts of allowances like Dearness Allowance, Travel Allowance, residential accommodation and, in many cases, a jeep/amby. This is more or less the same in all cadres - IAS, IRS, IRTS, ITS and so on. But looking at the horrible conditions traffic SIs and Constables have to work, sweating in the heat, standing for hours, arguing with people, breathing in dust and pollutants in bigger cities, I feel something better can be done for these poor chaps, who often resort to corrupt practices. Taking bribes is like chain smoking. In many cases people get addicted. However, this is not the same in all cases.

The recent pay scale for police force (I am talking in terms of Kerala Police) is pretty much decent and in fact they get more than an average govt. employee (eg: LD/UD clerks) The pay scale of a Sub Inspector onwards is really good and IPS onwards, its just rocking :-P
Three years back the pay scale for a Sub-Inspector in Kerala police on joining was just Rs.9190-15510/-, A constable in the commando wing of Kerala police was paid Rs. 6080-9830/- as of on 30-12-2009. I am not so aware about the revisions that might have been made now. But the above figures are way to inappropriate for the hours and conditions they work,which makes them to look elsewhere and go truant. Recently I saw somewhere,Guess it was on CNN-IBN or NDTV that the pay scale of police personnel in many north Indian states make it impossible for them to even sustain themselves let alone family.
And we're talking about the people we see on the roads and most of the time that does not include any senior officials I.G, ACP, Dy.S.P, etc.
And talking about senior officials, Let me tell what happened in Kerala a while ago.
A police vehicle-check and interception was going on. A car came and the driver was not wearing his seatbelt. The police flag him down. The cops write a chalan and when about to give it to the driver,the rear window goes down and the guy sitting in the backseat says that he is a leader of the ruling party and blah blah blah. An ACP was also present there at the time and he tried to explain to the Leader,that he had no other option but to charge against the offence.(Now the offence comes under section 177 of the Motor Vehicle Act and 100 Rupees is the fine.) The Leader says ok,then my driver was wearing the seat-belt is what I say. The ACP was not willing to budge and he wrote a charge and gave a receipt. The ego of the leader kicked in and what does he do next. The party members and the so called leaders march to the area police station and block all the entrances of the police station. No exit or entry into the station. This went on for hours and then under pressure the Dy.S.P and C.I apologized to the leader and goons. They also transferred the ACP is what I heard.
Guess what happens to the morale and ethics of those Police officers?
When someone transfers an Officer for him doing his duty and he has to go through a lot of trouble,kids,their schooling,family moving,etc. What does it do to him? He turns sides and go according to the whims of the muscle powered and corruption is just a part of that.
And imagine what might you feel if you were a cop who had to go through this.
Even police are beaten up sometimes even their family members when they try to fight criminals with a political card.
I even know the aged parents of a Magistrate were beaten up and their house pelted with rocks at Alwaye in Kerala some years back by political criminals. No one was arrested till date.
This kind of parellel rule of the parties and political goons are to a large extent why things are like this.

Okay, let me tell some more: My father (late) was Circle Inspector (CI) in Kerala Police service. He joined the force as a constable and went till the designation of CI. So I have seen all these stages of life personally you are talking about. Me & my sister had studied in 7 schools to finish till our 10th. That says part of my father's character isn't it [:)] ? I completely agree with what you have mentioned above. When I was in my 3rd standard, my father got a transfer on fax to join the next district head quarters in 24 Hrs. The reason was, my father arrested the district president of the ruling party for encroaching a poor mans land (he just wanted a wider road to his home). The result was it took 2 schools for me to finish my 3rd standard. My father had undergone deep trouble because his posting to the next district was filled with ambiguity. I was always studying in the worst govt. schools where ever we went. Primary reason was no good / private school will give you admission according to my fathers transfer! Looking back, I could imagine the affordability could also be part of the reason. My father started telling me each and everything (of the dirty politics, politicians and bureaucratic officers etc.) when I was in 5th standard. I have myself seen bills coming from bars and restaurants to my father which were sent to him because it was consumed by some of the superior officers. I have personally witnessed my father facing so many problems just because he had took a bus into custody for over speeding resulting in an accident. Unfortunately that bus and the entire fleet was a owned by one of the political leader (though it was not in his name). It took more than 16 years for him to build a 2 bedroom house. but when it was completed, he faced a detailed vigilance inquiry. The reason: he arrested couple of youngsters for misbehaving with two girls. Again, unfortunately one of the guy was the beloved son of the a leader (in opposition party though). I could imagine that my father might have given him some 'slight touches' for what he has done [;)].

Well, that is Police service all about. Either you should be corrupted and stick to politicians or better be out of it! There are a very few officers / police men who managed with out being corrupted during the service. I can assure you that, if they were honest they and their entire family would have paid the price for it.

PS: I have much more to write here, but I can not [frustration]

Well, I strongly feel Police force should be the fourth force in the country directly under president just as other 3 forces with similar structure, rules and regulations. That will address the financial issues greatly and will bring discipline to the force. Also it will completely disconnect the political access into the police force. There was some move like this long back. unfortunately, no political party will allow such a move.

Okay, let me tell some more: My father (late) was Circle Inspector (CI) in Kerala Police service. He joined the force as a constable and went till the designation of CI. So I have seen all these stages of life personally you are talking about.
PS: I have much more to write here, but I can not [frustration]
I knew there was someone related to you or in the family who's in the force.[;)]
I could make out that cause you knew what the average pay scales were.
I know what happens in the system cause I'm in direct connection to a vital part of the system. And when you know that you understand why things go like it is.
And I feel sad when people blame everything on the system while they themselves are not moving a little finger when it comes to social responsibility.
I too know and understand that there is a lot more than what you have said and want to share but may be restricted due to circumstances. Its okay,Let it be.
What I'm trying to put across in general is that its high time we all started moving in the right direction to make a change for good instead of playing the blame game. Only we can make a change is what I believe,even if it is a very small step,it still can be a firestarter[:)].

I knew there was someone related to you or in the family who's in the force.[;)]

I know what happens in the system cause I'm in direct connection to a vital part of the system.
Yeh! in fact my father, uncle and grandfather were in Kerala Police service. And when I showed same interest, my father said a strict No to it [:)]

I feel, the only way to clean up the Police force is to make it as the Fourth force.

Pros:

1. State govt./dirty politicians will loose direct control over the police. We know for sure how politically influenced is direct police selections are!
  2. Being a central service, pay scales and other benefits will be much better than what it is now. Good pay check will ensure least corruption; at least for to a greater extend.
  3. There should be a police court as well just as they way military court and rules works.
  4. Nation wide posting with adequate support (financial and social) just as the military forces. When you can ensure that children will get admission in central schools, I think every one will be ready to accept it. At least, nation wide posting should be implemented for all new joins.
  5. Police force will come under single secure communication network, which will ensure efficient operations which spans across the state borders. Overall response time will increase, minimizing the crime rate.
  6. Local GUNDAs / Gangsters / Quotation gangs etc.. will (to some extend) die for sure.
  7. State of art weapons and other systems.
  8. Over all domestic security, law and order will be high.

Cons:

1. Nothing for a police man!
  2. State political leaders and parties will get affected badly.
  3. Initial change over will need a considerably big budget.

Agree with all but point#3. Reason being that the military functions on different grounds. But since the police force deals chiefly on internal issues,normal courts are suffice.
But I do not know whether it can be implemented at all with the current mindsets of the administrative and executive.

Agree with all but point#3. Reason being that the military functions on different grounds. But since the police force deals chiefly on internal issues,normal courts are suffice.
But I do not know whether it can be implemented at all with the current mindsets of the administrative and executive.

You mistook it! A Police Court is the sense, to deal departmental issues such as corruption, escalated controversies etc. The idea is to bring more discipline in the force. Eg: an departmental inquiry. You know what I mean, right [;)]

Judicial system should be as it is only.

It is true that IPS officers will not have the current glamor! However, more than the admins and executives, politicians will block any such move for sure.

Autonomy from politicians and a dignified pay scale is what bureaucrats and officers require to be able to function to a decent limit.

Even my Mom had to study in about 10 schools+ because my grandad, a Retd. Municipal Corporation Commissioner for whom we are buying the accent, because he used to get transferred every year, thanks to his honesty, integrity and boldness he showed towards politicians. And in the end, he was denied his promotion as an IAS, a couple pf years pre-retirement.
My dad, who is a senior I*S officer (would not prefer mentioning the cadre etc. for the sake of privacy) discourages me from becoming an IPS officer if I want to join the services. But I still would not mind joining the IPS.
What comes to my mind after all I've read now is - "the honest stand alone"
In fact, this is the title of the autobiography of Sri. CG Somiah. a retired ICS officer.

You mistook it! A Police Court is the sense, to deal departmental issues such as corruption, escalated controversies etc. The idea is to bring more discipline in the force. Eg: an departmental inquiry. You know what I mean, right [;)]

Judicial system should be as it is only.

It is true that IPS officers will not have the current glamor! However, more than the admins and executives, politicians will block any such move for sure.
I missed out on your reply,I just came acroos this today. I'll continue I guess
But there are issues in the department itself,Be it even the head of the force,they are made puppets by the ruling party goons. And about departmental enquiries, The politicians will put their rotten hands into that as well for sure if the person accused is their gang-man.
And we do have vigilance courts to try cases of corruption. Most of the cases that get charged to the vigilance courts do in fact get convicted and the rate of conviction is very high than other criminal courts. Then the only problem is the undependable witnesses,but they too are fried if they try to turn sides there at trial and so most of the time they co-operate. And I guess its high time we threw a shoe at these politicians.

Last edited:

Top Bottom