Go for Maruti old ZEN but try to search only for MPFI. Model 2001/2000 but check the condition. If the condition is good you will get in max 70K. good thing is you will get 1000cc engine + good mileage.
If budget is strictly one lakh (buying +transfer of ownership + simple repairs) the options would be
1. Carburator Zen 60K - 70K will be buying cost, spend some 15K on basic servicing & replacing some worn out parts like drive shaft/ gear lever bush/brakes overhaul etc as needed.
2. Esteem - great car, parts availability will be an issue as some parts are already not available at MGP too.
3. MPFi Zen costs more than 1Lac (no matter what condition it is) here in Bangalore so I doubt if it will fit in your budget.
4. Fiat Palio - One of the best Hatchback cars to drive, but not every mechanic knows to service it. Very well built, no rattles, good road grip, smooth engine - I am sure you will get many offers below 1lac for this car.
5. Matiz: Parts are difficult to source, although spacious design isnt attractive (my opinion)
Fiat Palio isnt a easy to maintain car (atleast as far as I know), one of my friend has a car & some quick points about Palio:
1. Refined engine (may be better than some new cars in production today)
2. Tough body, huge space, good suspension, Stylish OEM alloys
3. Available in 1.2 Petrol, 1.6Petrol (not sure abuot this one though) & ofcourse the giant 1.9D!
4. Last model of Palio lauched was called - Style (or Stile) it came with alloys, rear wiper & all usual features.
1. Parts may be difficult to source after a few years, for now you should be able to manage without much issues
2. Tata Service centers may not be the best place to service your Palio
3. STrange facts - Rear wiper blade cant be changed, whole wiper arm needs to changed! Costing 780/- (However I did a jugaad for my friends car)
4. Its lacks the mileage factor, double digit mileage is difficult in this car (thanks to that superb engine which turns almost everyone into Micheal Schumacher)
Palio - Drivers car (strictly for enthusiasts) - Pleasure guaranteed
Zen - Daily use + mod friendly car + surprising package considering its price
OT: Dear Mods, I am no where connected to that website or people selling those cars. Just sharing what I found. Pictures are from google search
You will get MPFI one below 1L in Delhi/GGN easily. The old carburater car manufactured till 1999, Year 2000 onwards (norms condition), 2001, 2002. The ZEN is in old shape but with MPFI (increased average + pick up).
from 2003 onwards u will get new model of zen having the same engine. It will cost you around 1L to 1.3L depending on the ownership.
Just FYI....I have sold my ZEN MPFI (1st owner) 2001, one month back for Rs 70000 only.
Dont go for Fiat Palio, because it will hard find 1st of all and average of this car is very low. you will face parts problem after 2-3 years.
I am totally satisfy with the ZEN performance. done 2-3 trips long way (1500KM up & down). This car never let me down in any situation.
You can get an almost new Nano in second hand car market in one lakh budget. It will be well under the original warranty and not demand for an overhaul either. If not, then look out for a maintained Maruti Suzuki Zen MPFI. Fiat Palio is a good option too but the overall running costs and availability of spare parts is questionable. Plus, the resale value of third hand model will be nothing after a while.