Planning To Buy First Hatchback. Should I Go with Petrol or Diesel?

I indeed agree Honda tried to milk the Indian customer with that price. But in its current price its pretty VFM [glasses]
Well said. If we stop blind following whatever written in black and white as gospel truth , Manufacturers like Honda will learn quick enough.

The level of localisation of spares are also somthing which i think u forgot to consider..
We are buyers not component vendors. Why should we know such irrelevant matters.

Agreed swift,indica petrol gives similiar mileage but do they give such handling and driving pleasure which honda gives
Please do not mind to debate on handling and driving pleasure of a honda car to a Fiat Enthusiat plus owner.
For the sake of debate from your end I would like to say Hundai i20 gives better ride comfort and ease of driving in Indian roads than any hatchback in India plus aesthetically i20 is miles ahead of any of the Honda hatchback ,making it a VFM against Jazz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #62
Dear All
Good Morning to all. After a long break I am back to this forum. As I was not in a position to access the system regularly, I could not able to be in the forum for a long period time. I would like to apologize for the same. I hope henceforth I have some breathing time to participate in the forum [:)]

Thread Starter #63
Dear All,
As I told you earlier after a long break I am back to this forum and as per the long discussion over months on which car to buy and whether petrol or diesel hatchback, here is the same request to you all to let me know which one to go based on today's petrol and diesel price. I am planning to buy in a months time. My daily usage would be mininum 40kms.Thanking you all in advance!

Dear All,
As I told you earlier after a long break I am back to this forum and as per the long discussion over months on which car to buy and whether petrol or diesel hatchback, here is the same request to you all to let me know which one to go based on today's petrol and diesel price. I am planning to buy in a months time. My daily usage would be mininum 40kms.Thanking you all in advance!
Have you first test driven all the cars which members have suggested you already ?

IMHO, you should test drive almost all hatchbacks inclusive of petrol and diesel.
1. Shortlist all cars which you liked most (Fun + pleasure + practical to some extent). You can vary the parameters or add more.
2. Also one important parameter is cost( purchase cost + maintainence costs).
3. Do not just go by online reviews to arrive at a decision.

You will be happy in the end.

Off topic--
My friends pushed me for Laura vrs. Didn't wanted to drive this superb machine on slow Indian roads. Next push was on Honda city. IMHO, didn't liked to pay so much for this car and braking was not upto the standards. Also the dealership attitude put me off. I had liked Punto 90 hp very much. But in Pune the A.S.S. is not at par as expected. Then came down to Liva, I liked it after punto. It ticked all boxes, except a bit noisy engine (planning to put sound deadening material on floor and doors). I am happy till date and enjoying the car. Plus huge savings. It was second in braking after punto, good ride, good visibility, good mileage(true mileage that I have got in city limits is 16.17 with 100% AC on), less visits to fuel bunk and less maintainence cost. You can find my review here on TAI. This car was no-where in picture when I started my hunt. But I tried almost all hatchbacks and sedans in 10 lac bracket.

Thread Starter #67
@amiti, Thank you very much for your idea. I will test drive all the hatchbacks and come back here to take the final call. BTW my daily usage would be 40kms. Which one to go petrol or diesel(based on the current price)?

@amiti, Thank you very much for your idea. I will test drive all the hatchbacks and come back here to take the final call. BTW my daily usage would be 40kms. Which one to go petrol or diesel(based on the current price)?
Magi, you are welcome! Regarding petrol or diesel, it is really a tough one but I will try to simplify it to a great extent.
40kms per day means it is on the border line. My running is also same 40 kms per day from Monday to Friday in almost jammed roads. I chose Liva diesel. However my friends were in favor of Laura TSI or Honda city. Apart from TSI (which is a petrol), I liked the push of diesel torque in Punto and Liva. Was fedup with hyundai (I never use H for hyundai) and Dezire was not available for a test drive. So it was Liva diesel for me. Good punch from engine no turbo lag. I chose the car based on following parameters,

1. Good drivability and visibility
2. Comfortable for driver and passengers
3. Practical
4. Excellent quality brakes, ABS, EBD and next to Punto. Good straight line stop ability. Add airbags also.
5. Good A.S.S. and easy on pocket
6. Good AC
7. Simpler engine bay (read-- easy to replace bulbs, battery etc. and was in favor of neat and easy to view and operate engine bay)
8. Last one was mileage

Hope it helps. I have got lot of bashing from my friends and relatives as well, as I went ahead by want and not by greed/so called status.

Thread Starter #69
amiti, Thanks a lot for the info. I am test driving different hatchbacks, will come very soon for the good news based on all our seniors suggestions and ideas.

Top Bottom