Planning To Buy First Hatchback. Should I Go with Petrol or Diesel?

@jayadev--But dont you think at 50km/day , a diesel may be better ?
Thats 1500 kms per month. I think that's diesel territory.

Har, that is why added my bike stroy and inflating petrol prices.
If he has dialy confirm travel of 50+ km diesal is not a bad Idea.(sorry I dint read full thread as I am in mobile)
If it is ocasional and other alternatives are available then diesal can be waived.

The reason why I use bike is our dail traffic which is ever increasing daily commute with car has become ridiculous nowadays. Other wise I would have never got out of my car.
Hope it shows a broader picture of real life.
It happens that after buying a car our life becomes more hectic than we imagined and after couple of months we prefer to see it laying in porch than driving. In such situation diesal and petrol becomes immaterial rather we tend to think if investement was lesser say a smaller petrol car.
Hope I am clear here.
(Sorry for typos its too inconvenient to type in mobile )

Thread Starter #34
Hope it shows a broader picture of real life.
It happens that after buying a car our life becomes more hectic than we imagined and after couple of months we prefer to see it laying in porch than driving. In such situation diesal and petrol becomes immaterial rather we tend to think if investement was lesser say a smaller petrol car.
Hope I am clear here.
jayadev, thank you for throwing some lights and you are so practical [:)]

If you are using your car daily to commute to and fro work place and then weekend drives. Diesel is the one you should go.
For 50 km/day use (there will be additional kms for week ends and holidays) diesel is a good idea.

Extra money spend on Diesel will reach break even level quicker with that running.
Diesel is more efficient than Petrol and more FE.
Diesel subsidy is there but not so high as projected.
Enjoy the torque and ease of driving in bumper to bumper City driving conditions.

While climbing up an incline and also during a drive in heavy traffic, for a new driver, working with two feets (for clutch and brake) in a diesel car is much easier than looking out for a third foot in case of a petrol car.

Magi,

Go for Ritz Diesel.As it had high seating position,taller than Swift and others.Ritz is the best choice who are looking for an hatch.

Or else,go for Punto Dynamic.It is also best car because it handles well,excellent ride,excellent steering feedback and looks.Now,Fiat is going to open independent showrooms by end of 2012.

So,Punto is a good option who are looking for an hatch.

I think your running is 50x30=1500.

Do try the Jazz. I just booked one. Got it for 6.55 lakhs OTR. Delivery on Monday with Michelin tyre's too. Just do a TD before dismissing. It will be very reliable and fuel efficient too.

Jazz is never a practical choice, in the heat of promoting Brio, Jazz probably will be long forgotten by everybody nonetheless it has a bad image of overpriced and low moving car. Meanwhile Honda may suck ones blood in the name of premium quality added with high fuel expenditure.

^Jazz is one of the most practical car's in the world !! It still receives awards all over the world for being one of the best practical cars out there. Every auto review out there says its the best petrol car in India today. I didnt give it much credit either but one TD blew the competition from my mind anyway. Thats why I told if anyone is buying a car, do a TD of Jazz before rejecting. What harm can come from a TD ? Be sure before you buy !!

And service cost of 3k per year.

And the low moving image shouldnt bother anyone. If that was the case no one can recommend a Punto. But we do because its still one of the best diesel cars out there.

Even I had a TD and review put up in Tai of Jazz when prices were lowered.
No doubt its a good car with lot of space but its too late. For a Japanese make car there are lot many other options unlike an Italian or German.

Last edited:
Honda jazz is the most successful hatch for honda globally.

It brakes number of records in many parts of the world.

Honda india is not promoting or advertising this product reason better known to them only.

Awards and recognition given to honda jazz globally.

Japan Car of the Year for the year 2001–2002 and 2007–2008
Japan Car of the Year 30th Anniversary Special Award “Best 3rd Decade Car”: 1st generation Fit/Jazz[113]
RJC Car of the Year Award 2002
Car and Driver's Best Small Car in its 2007–2012 10Best lists.
Top Gear Survey 2006: Best Small Car
Top Gear Survey 2006: Second Best of all cars in the survey (After the Honda S2000)
Greenercars.org's One of the Greenest Vehicles of 2007 and 2008[114]
MotorWeek Drivers' Choice Awards 2007—Best Small Car[115]
MotorWeek Drivers' Choice Awards 2007—Best of the Year[116]
Best Economy Car for 2008, U.S. News & World Report[117]
Top 10 Urban Vehicles for 2008 - Cars.com[118]
2009 Car of the Year Finalist, Motor Trend[119]
2010 Best Overall Value by Consumer Reports[120]
2010 Best Hatchback for the Money, U.S. News & World Report[121]
2011 Best Overall Value by Consumer Reports[122]
2012 Best Overall Value by Consumer Reports[123]
2012 Best Cars for Families Awards - No. 1 in Affordable Small Cars[124]

Honda brio is also a gem.

Have a test drive of both these cars before u zeroing to anything.

Last edited:
No matter what awards it bagged everywhere else.
One of the worst issue with Jazz is its ground clearance on Indian roads and Honda themselves couldnt help but probably update with a new version.
second is, premium they asks for maintenance is not like of a city hatchback but of a sedan.
these are the prominent reasons which kept buyers at bay and all know Honda is hard shell to break, they have not compromised yet but let us hope with Brio they will soften .

Japanese cars are highly acclaimed for their reliability and low cost of maintenance and this endearing trait has stood the Japs in good stead as the top three places for reliability in the United Kingdom have been bagged by Japanese cars. Honda, a synonym for reliability, amongst most car owners took the top spot with the Jazz hatchback named as the most reliable car in the UK market. High reliability levels and a low maintenance cost propelled the Jazz to the top spot while the Toyota Avensis took second spot with the third place taken by one of India’s best selling cars, the Suzuki Swift hatchback.

’’You’d have to lop a few lakhs off the Accord or the Civic or the Jazz if the cars came with any other logo on the grill’’ -BBC
No matter what it dint work in India, neither then nor now.
Initial high asking price then a sudden slash down , have given it a quirky Image which did not help even in resale markets either.
In India we have more affordable and more adaptable car than exorbitant Honda.

Truth is honda makes world class cars.

Why Honda ignoring or not promoting jazz in india the reason better know to them only as no one else can speculate the reason correctly.

Last edited:

Top Bottom