Plan for the Big Boy (RE Bullet Electra)

Thread Starter #1
It is getting closer to say good bye to my work horse "The Apache" RTR 160.

It was driven for more then 60,000Kms and 4 years old. started giving lot of problems. The Oil leakage in the head, Chain wearout, rattling, ...etc

But i should appreciate the work it has done. It was always a part in my life as well as career.

But its still some journy left with us. Let me save the words for the fairwell.

Now that i'm planning for a big boys toy, The ultimate Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 5s.

Guys Can i go for a used AVL Machismo 350 5s or can i buy a new electra?

The AVL Machismo is available with one of my friend. It is a 2006 model with kick start. left side gear shift as normal bikes. The bike is in good running condition. But if i buy that bike, i need to refurbish the bike to make it look like the proper Machismo.

He may give it to me at a cost of 35-45K.

It requirs another 10K to restore the bike to showroom condition. But i should sacrifice the self start. The bike needs a lot of attention to bring it back to its original glory.

In the other Hand, There are two more options with the new bike.

1. New bullet Std- cost INR 99,684/=
2. New Electra 5s- Cost INR 1,13,350/=

Its easy to tell me to go for a new bike. But see the cost man. Its a huge some of money[frustration].

The resale value of my Apache is not more then 20-25K. If i go for a new bike It will make me to go for a loan of atleast 75K.

But if i go for that Machismo. Its almost half the price. But anyways its a 3rd ownership[confused].

I'm planing my new ride for the republic day.

Thread Starter #3
Surfer I'm also thinking about that only.

But in the other hand, i need to wait for my friend to book his car. then only i'll be able to take it from him.

No way i can find a good deal in the internet searches.

These guys think taht they own some super bike or some thing. The avarage quote for a used bullet after 2005 is minimum of 70,000/-

So i got only two options left.

Machismo or the new Electra or STD version.

And nobody replied for my post except surfer.

I think i need to change the Title to atract more replies.

Mods please do the needful.

Calculate the total cost of Refurbishing the old Electra, Find its current value considering depreciation. I would suggest to go for a new Bike, IF you don't have really tight budget. As mentioned, you are already facing troubles with your own used bike.

Bullet will always rule entire biker’s community and its representative of the dashing soul.
And one can find so many aspirations behind its acquisition.
Particularly in your case I would like to suggest stay away from used AVL Machismo 350 5s.
Reason you will miss the thump and silence firing of the Bullet. As it is casted from all aluminum.
It may not give you only thump to satisfy your quench for the Big boy.
It gives various sounds from valves, engine head along with some engine knocking in city drive on fourth and fifth gears.
Instead of AVL if you can locate any CI- Cast Iron Std bullet let it be any make (all parts are still available in open market) and restore it like your test.

Thread Starter #6
Calculate the total cost of Refurbishing the old Electra, Find its current value considering depreciation. I would suggest to go for a new Bike, IF you don't have really tight budget. As mentioned, you are already facing troubles with your own used bike.
Drivetech the budget is a major part. but any ways i'll opt for finance for 50% of the cost. If i take the machismo the total cost will come to 50-55K including the refurbishment. (the engine OH is not included)

Bullet will always rule entire biker’s community and its representative of the dashing soul.
And one can find so many aspirations behind its acquisition.
Particularly in your case I would like to suggest stay away from used AVL Machismo 350 5s.
Reason you will miss the thump and silence firing of the Bullet. As it is casted from all aluminum.
It may not give you only thump to satisfy your quench for the Big boy.
It gives various sounds from valves, engine head along with some engine knocking in city drive on fourth and fifth gears.
Instead of AVL if you can locate any CI- Cast Iron Std bullet let it be any make (all parts are still available in open market) and restore it like your test.

But CI engine vehicles are either over priced or in a bad condition.

But the new bullet is UCE alloy engine. so it will produce little less thump. but it is ok for me.[evil]
now i'm totally confused.

Thread Starter #7
Test Ride of the Twins

Couple of days back, I went to the Royal Enfield Brand showroom in Adyar.
The Sales Guy was really a nice guy. He offered me the Test drive of both 350STD & Electra.

My observations on the test drive are as follows.

First I tried The Electra.
The ES was not working. He said, the battery went out of charge. so i had no other go but to Kick Start it. But it was so soft. In a second kick the Engine Came to life. The engine was little noisy. Its definitely not the beat of the bullet. but some clattering noise. The Gears are like universal Type. One down four up. The clutch was a bit hard. (I think its because its the test drive vehicle and driven more then 9000Kms by various users)

The Pickup was Excellent. But i felt the vibrations are a little higher then the Machismo of my friend's. I rode the bike for almost 2Kms. The handling was not so heavy. It felt like the normal street bike only with a slightly heavy steering in the slow speeds.

Who said the bullet is not a fast bike? It reached a good speed(80Kmph) in no time. it may reach a speed of 120-140Kmph easily.

Then comes my favorite. The bullet 350 std. It seams a little heavy then electra. But actually electra is 183Kgs & Std is 180 Kg only.

In the Std 350, the Engine sound was less. Beat was like RHYTHM. Dhad Dhad Dhad....

The pickup was equally good in the Std 350. Rest of the the things are same as the Electra.
Electra has the Disc Brake. it offers a good stopping range.

But never the less the Drum brakes are equally good. so i think i can live with out the disc Brake in my new ride.

I asked about the ES fitting in the Std 350. He said, It can be done but not in the ASS. I knew lot of bullet Experts. One shop is very next to our apartment building.

So fitting a ES in the Std350 is not a big deal at all for me now. & i have a lot of energy left in my Body to Kick Start Since i'm just 29yrs.

But considering the cost Hear comes the big hit. 99964 for Std350 & 113654 for the Electra.[cry]

This makes me think for the second option of going foe my friend's Machismo. less then half the Price. no big hole in the pocket. i can buy it outright. no EMI hassle. [:D]

I need advice from bullet gurus.

Top Bottom