Petrol Smell Coming from Inside the Car

Check fuel pipes and tighten them
check for any vaccum leak on the intake manifold
check if the injectors are cleaned and not leaking
check the return pipe
see if the fuel mixture is normal or rich

Hi Friends,

My car has a new issue now (Maruti 800), when ever I drive in traffic I get too much petrol smell inside the cabin, if I drive in highways for long distances it wont be present.. If I drive the car just 2 to 3 kms in traffic I get the smell.[frustration].

I also got the car checked by my regular mechanic, he tightened all the hose ends , told me every thing is fine.

I get smell from 2 sides, one is from the rear left near the petrol cap(inside side pad) and the other one below the dash board.

Also these days my car is making sound like an race car after crossing 2000rpm..so even the pick up has decreased..struggles to cross 80kmph.

Members please suggest..[:)]
Hi,

I had similar issues in my Opel Corsa and later found that the petrol cap was the culprit. Try to get a replacement cap and then try. It worked for my corsa.

Thanks.

as Varun560061 said my 15yrs old maruti 800 has started giving that race car sound and the same petrol smell.please help me TAI friends.the one that bothers me is the sound in high rpms.even though it sounds nice i think its a problem

Thread Starter #51
Check the exhaust pipes it may be cracked also check the silencer. If you find and holes or cracks get it welded or replace the entire pipe.

For petrol smell check the breather tank.

Could u explain how would the breather tube look and where ill it be located.mine is a carb type

Yeah found a hole in the muffler..should i definitely welt or replace it..will it cause any problem????

Re: My Car - My Maruti 800

@Varun560061
If you are still facing low FE problems have you oxygen sensor checked.This sensor is responsible for sending the signals for the air fuel mixture.The new exhaust may differ in length from the old one and when this and back pressures change a slight drop in FE is expected and besides after getting an FFE am sure you drive your car all out which can be responsible for the further drop in FE
I am facing exactly same issue and when i visited on mech he Opened the rare lid at back of seat and cut the Black pipe short coz it had a bend he thought that was teh problem
After that my silencer is making noise and still i can feel petrol smell, i even opened the fuel lid and DAMM again a lot of pressure.

What should i do.i Can even see ptrol traces in my engine. :( I am worried and i am not getting good FE

Check the fuel breather pipe that connects to the fuel filler neck and goes to the petrol tank.Sometimes this pipe gets bent or squeezed(it is made of rubber).

Check the fuel breather pipe that connects to the fuel filler neck and goes to the petrol tank.Sometimes this pipe gets bent or squeezed(it is made of rubber).
Also after making this smal change of cutting the pipe shorter. My Car is making this weird sound (Like a race car ) i guess its the problem with exaust nee dto get the pipes checked maybe.

And also sir its 2002 model Carb and done only 17k Km not fake or tuned meter settings we hardly used this car but now i generally use it.

I guess this fuel breather pipe is in the front side right in the engine cabin ???
And also is it recommended to get a CNG kit installed in carb model ?

Last edited:
Also after making this smal change of cutting the pipe shorter. My Car is making this weird sound (Like a race car ) i guess its the problem with exaust nee dto get the pipes checked maybe.
Looks like there are leaks in the exhaust pipe. Look for rust on the entire length of the pipe, probably there are some holes, which need to be patched, or some length of the pipe replaced.

I guess this fuel breather pipe is in the front side right in the engine cabin ???
This pipe can be found behind the fuel filler cap. Take out the hardboard panel inside the rear left side, just below the rear left quarter glass. If there are any leaks or kinks on this pipe, the petrol vapours will enter the cabin, and cause the smell.

And also is it recommended to get a CNG kit installed in carb model ?
I would advise against installing CNG or LPG kits. Petrol engines like our M800-Carb's are designed to run at an optimum temperature for petrol. LPG and CNG burns at a higher temperature, and causes a higher stress to the engine. Result, you'll have to re-bore the engine very early. I had to do it at 80k itself, the car was running on LPG for the better part of its life until then, and it proved costly.

Do follow Nimrod's instructions on where to find the breather.

Also check the exhaust for leaks.Maybe it was a rust issue.The stock exhaust pipes can be bought new for around Rs2000.For the middle and back sections.

The LPG and CNG mods on the carburettor(carb) car are not as straight forward as with fuel injected cars, not a lot of mechanics can tune the carb to work with LPG and CNG.If you dont use the car as much then leave it running on petrol.

Just use a carb cleaning spray and clean the carb from time to time.Use WD40 on the carb linkages to free them up.If this is not easy for you just buy a cyclo fuel system cleaner and add that bottle to your tank as per the instruction on the bottle.That should clean out your fuel system.

Change the engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter, gear oil and coolant every year or 5000kms whichever comes first.Check and if needed replace the spark plugs or just get an MPI kit like me and Shreejesh(sreejeshtpl) have.You will easily enjoy mileage of 22+ KMS/LT .

Hello all, I'm new here and I own a Maruti Omni van 1996. I 'm searching to see how the fuel cap looks like as the one fitted is leaking petrol from the sides and from the key . Can anyone please give me a picture of how it shall looks from the back Thanks.

Top Bottom