Petrol Engines VS Diesel Engines: Who Wins in the Long Run?

As many said, it is the maintenance of the car which plays a vital role. Sometimes a petrol car which has run 1lakh km might be smoother than a diesel which has done 50k km. I recently saw a ritz with my uncle which was driven by a young engineering student. It was diesel & had done only around 14k kms. But the gearbox wasn't smooth as usual & the engine wasn't refined at all. It just doesn't feel like it had done only 14k. So it is the maintenance & the driving style which plays a role here!

@Desai

Welcome to TAI !!

I use a Ritz diesel and it has done 16k so far, I think Maruti regularly uses mineral oils and also suggest for the same than synthetic !! what is your opinion and experience of this, I have finished my 3 free services so far, what would you suggest me on this

As many said, it is the maintenance of the car which plays a vital role. Sometimes a petrol car which has run 1lakh km might be smoother than a diesel which has done 50k km. I recently saw a ritz with my uncle which was driven by a young engineering student. It was diesel & had done only around 14k kms. But the gearbox wasn't smooth as usual & the engine wasn't refined at all. It just doesn't feel like it had done only 14k. So it is the maintenance & the driving style which plays a role here!
we cannot use stupidity as scale to measure the quality of an engine.

I like diesal for thier efficiency and low emissions.

if you leave aside the modern exotic technology and compare a crude petrol engine to a crude diesel motor it would be clear which one wins.

We have portable power generators both diesel and petrol of same make.
Petrol ones are the one earlier to stop as well as more expensive considering maintenance. say spark plug,alternator,proper fuel et al

where as diesal need just regular maintenance and run immaterial of fuel quality.

@ mv desai , Gurrala sir,What is the servicing interval prescribed by maruti suzuki for swift ddis as per owner mannual , monthwise and kmswise ? and what are the routine charges for paid servicings ?

Yes, jihu, Jaydeo is correct, if the same engineering student had driven a petrol car , what would have been the fate of the petrol car' s gear box and engine?

Last edited:
Tornado,

It is like 3 free services 1000km, 5000km and 10000km and after this every 10000km. I did not go for any paid service yet, hence I do not know the charges

@ mv desai , Gurrala sir,What is the servicing interval prescribed by maruti suzuki for swift ddis as per owner mannual , monthwise and kmswise ? and what are the routine charges for paid servicings ?
A realistic question Indeed!!!

The truth about use age of mineral oil is to cut down the cost on regular maintenance and a wicked strategy to cut down few cents at manufacturing level , by providing cheaper oil to fresh made car.

It has been proved many a time by many firms that Synthetic oil are more apt and serve better in long run.

I think everything depends on the maintainence.
Now i use a diesel swift . Its done some 98k kms still no issues.
But its all about maintainence. I have always used fully sythetic engine oil in both my vehicles from the start. And servicing it every 3 months. I know its too much but i believe it keeps all problems away. More like preventive maintainence.
Tornado,

10000km and after this every 10000km. I did not go for any paid service yet, hence I do not know the charges
@ Gurrala sir , what is the month wise limit for paid servicings ?
For eg, 10000 km or 6 months whichever is earlier.

May 2010 model of swift vdi owned by mv desai has completed 98000 km ,that means running is approx. 3300 km per month i.e. Approx 9500 km to 10000 km per 3 months.

Mv desai is getting the servicings done every 3 months. Is it regular maintenance or preventive maintainance?

Last edited:
we cannot use stupidity as scale to measure the quality of an engine.

I like diesal for thier efficiency and low emissions.

if you leave aside the modern exotic technology and compare a crude petrol engine to a crude diesel motor it would be clear which one wins.

We have portable power generators both diesel and petrol of same make.
Petrol ones are the one earlier to stop as well as more expensive considering maintenance. say spark plug,alternator,proper fuel et al

where as diesal need just regular maintenance and run immaterial of fuel quality.
I tend to agree with you. If you forget about the regular maintenance, then diesel tends to stop earlier! [thinking]
(do correct me if I am wrong)

Yes, jihu, Jaydeo is correct, if the same engineering student had driven a petrol car , what would have been the fate of the petrol car' s gear box and engine?
Well, in the long run. Yeah, it would have got spoiled much much earlier. But in the short run. I believe petrol car is better. Petrol cars start giving problems only after some time whereas I believe diesels give problems on the spot! [roll]

May 2010 model of swift vdi owned by mv desai has completed 98000 km ,that means running is approx. 3300 km per month i.e. Approx 9500 km to 10000 km per 3 months.

Mv desai is getting the servicings done every 3 months. Is it regular maintenance or preventive maintainance?
This surely sounds like a regular maintenance. Swift has got a 10k service interval & he is doing it on time. Can't say its preventive as it is done according to how it is to be done!

Last edited:
I tend to agree with you. If you forget about the regular maintenance, then diesel tends to stop earlier! [thinking]
(do correct me if I am wrong)
With reference to the generator I have mentioned previously,both are portable 5kwatts and we had to buy petrol one just because client had abundant petrol supply .

1.Petrol engines are more sensitive to dust and fuel quality
2.again petrol engine are sensitive to load variations
3.in continues operations at harsh locations like high temperature and less airflow we dare not to take petrol engine
4.eventually they start to leak,the rubber hoses or seal and gaskets I think petrol eats the polymer quickly
5.Many times they give out pungent odor smoke.

Well, in the long run. Yeah, it would have got spoiled much much earlier. But in the short run. I believe petrol car is better. Petrol cars start giving problems only after some time whereas I believe diesels give problems on the spot! [roll]
I think petrol cars do well just because they are preventive maintained.

Guys

let me give you the Brasil market perspective on this:

Here they have 3 Types of fuel - Gasoline (Petrol) / Ethanol or CNG / Diesel

Most of the passenger cars here in Brasil do duty on Petrol or Ethanol and they are not even aware of Diesel as fuel for passenger cars [surprise]

Also that is the reason, they have most of the cars also available in the FLEX variant (which means it can be used on Gasoline + Ethanol)

Diesel as a Fuel is available here but only used on heavier cars, Trucks, Buses, trawlers, etc

You will be even surprised and shocked to know that most of the Brasilian folks do not care and do not even know about their Car mileages

They simply buy the machine for driving pleasure + comfort + convinience

So i am assuming that the mileage figures of their hatchbacks here in Brasil are between 8-10 kmpl & for sedans it is 6-7 kmpl

Also you will be happy to know that all the hatches and sedans here are powered by very powerful mills (not the Puny 1.2 / 1.3 mils ) like in India [frustration]

The most normal hatchbacks here are powered by 1.5 / 1.8 Litre engines!!

Oh my god i cant even imagine how much driving pleasure would they be deriving?

That is also why you see lot of HOT HATCHES here like the Hyundai Velosters, I30s, Punto 1.6, etc

Guys

You will be even surprised and shocked to know that most of the Brasilian folks do not care and do not even know about their Car mileages

They simply buy the machine for driving pleasure + comfort + convinience

So i am assuming that the mileage figures of their hatchbacks here in Brasil are between 8-10 kmpl etc
Ankx, do you remember here is a country and its citizens who believes that fuel supply is not not going to be indefinite, is it just an eye wash?
From where does the Brazil derives its fuel supply ,import or home ?

IMO , Brazilians need to know that the driving pleasure is synonymous with the torque unless the driving terrian is slopy all the time .

Last edited:
IMO , Brazilians need to know that the driving pleasure is synonymous with the torque unless the driving terrian is slopy all the time .
@Ankxx,
Swift diesal1.3 litre produce 76ps 190nm torque
Fiat tjet petrol 1.4 produce produce 115 ps 205nm.

We in India cant afford that much of power and speed in given infrastructure.

India do have high power cars but sales figure are on south side compared to more efficient economic cars.

Top Bottom