Petrol Engine or Diesel Engine: Your Choice?

Which is your pick?

• Total voters
Diesel Head I am. People always complain about the turbo lag in the Swift,heck, I say that's what it makes fun to drive. A sudden surge of power from nowhere[evil]
Yes buddy thats actually the real fun in DDiS.
Thats the reason my signature says:
'The streets are safe till the needle reaches 2000rpm!!!'[evil]
Swift DZire VDi[glasses]

Yes the sudden surge of power from turbo is very addicting , i just love it![evil]

But the turbo lag can be a bit irritating while overtaking or driving on ghat roads.

Re: Petrol or Diesel???

1. Petrol for my comfort.
2. I get dizzy of diesel (just the smell not the diesel cars).
3. I don't want to bite a chunk of govt. subsidized fuel which is meant for poor. (This is my personal opinion.)
4. Initial investment is low.

With increasing price of petrol I wonder how many will go with petrol now a days [:)]

Diesel it is for me. I have owned Zen petorl earlier and now also when I drive Petrol cars, It's just that I dont like to drive petrol cars any more. :-)

Petrol any day for me,it is the fuel of cars,its the fuel of high revving species.
Diesel!!Naaa,its not the fuel of my choice.Actually its the fuel which moves with the support of CRUTCHES called Turbocharger.Remove the turbo and diesel is nothing,in fact irritating.

Those who love torque of diesel or buy diesel only for the torque or that spike offered by the turbo just need to drive turbocharged petrols[evil] and then tell me which is more fun to drive.From pages to pages I am reading spike,spike and spike.Just once try turbo petrols guys and you will be blown away.[:D]
I am still not ready to believe that nose-heavy diesels which always lack good handling due to their heavy nose can outperform the petrols of their segment.
Take any car which offers the best of anything and you will find that the car runs on petrol.Weather hatches,sedans or SUVs.The best ones are petrols.

• Best SUV in the world 'Range Rover' uses a 5.0 V8 Supercharged engine.And don't forget Merc G55 AMG too.
  • Supersports cars like Bugatti Veyron-Hehe,petrol.And Lamborghini Aventador uses a N/A petrol engine.
  • Even our daily sedans like Fiat Linea T-Jet,Honda City etc are far far ahead the diesel cars of their very same segment when it comes to fun-to-drive factor.
  • To feel the guts of petrol SUVs/MUVs I'd recommend everyone to try their hands on CR-v,Outlander and Innova Petrol and see the difference themselves.

Thread Starter #24

^^^

Dear Vipul, I have driven a turbo charged petrol in a car called the Linea T-Jet. Yes, its was an amazing experience but we love diesels not just because it has a turbocharger.

Turbo petrols lack one important factor from diesels and that is "torque". The Linea was lifeless below 2000 rpm because the turbo was not active and also it does not have sufficient torque like the diesels. After 2000 rpm, its a monster.

That is where the diesel engines shine - they have more than ample torque to pull a vehicle till its turbo zone and after that the turbo takes charge. Well, it also depends on the vehicle which you are driving, but in general I dont enjoy driving petrols. I like power coming easily to me (at lower rpms). I dont prefer wringing a motor to high rpms to extract the best possible performance, as is the case with petrols.

1) You forgot that Range Rover has a diesel engine too. The petrol hardly sells. Even hardcore off roaders prefer a diesel engine for its low end torque.

2) Talking about Lambos and Bugatis, dont assume that diesels cant perform -
World Fastest Diesel car - YouTube
The video is just an example.

3) I dont agree that Honda city is fun to drive. Or maybe it depends on what the driver is looking for. If he just wants a free revving engine, then the ANHC is good. But overall there are better cars in the segment.

4) SUVs need torquey diesel engines, especially if they are 7 seaters.

I am a diesel fan !! especially the modern diesel engines with very less noise and very good pick up as some times I feel which is more than petrol car.

I used petrol cars for 10 years and for the first time I bought diesel car last year and I am very much satisfied with its performance !!

^^^

Dear Vipul, I have driven a turbo charged petrol in a car called the Linea T-Jet. Yes, its was an amazing experience but we love diesels not just because it has a turbocharger.
But without turbo,they are just lifeless and are a bit too shy to respond.And you yourself know that if the car is a petrol then even if the turbo is not running then also in the N/A region,the petrol still performs far far better than the diesel.

Turbo petrols lack one important factor from diesels and that is "torque". The Linea was lifeless below 2000 rpm because the turbo was not active and also it does not have sufficient torque like the diesels. After 2000 rpm, its a monster.
Are you sure you drove the T-Jet?Because it may be slightly hesitant below 2000 but still its not at all lifeless.Buddy just put some pressure on your brain and confirm it,I am sure the car would have been a multi-JET if what you are saying is true,else the car had some fault.

That is where the diesel engines shine - they have more than ample torque to pull a vehicle till its turbo zone and after that the turbo takes charge. Well, it also depends on the vehicle which you are driving, but in general I dont enjoy driving petrols. I like power coming easily to me (at lower rpms). I dont prefer wringing a motor to high rpms to extract the best possible performance, as is the case with petrols.
Right you are,+100.Torque is the key here.But turbo petrols are also not far behind in this field:-
  • Fiat Linea T-Jet offers about 21 kgm of torque which is nearly equal to that offered by Multijet diesel.
  • Skoda Laura TSi offers about 25.5 kgm of torque which is equal to that of Laura TDi M/T and higher than that of Renault Fluence and Toyota Corolla.
It sounds like turbocharger brings loads of torque with it.In other words,turbo petrols have both,power and torque and the high revving nature make them even sweeter and as you mentioned..TRUE MONSTERS!!

1) You forgot that Range Rover has a diesel engine too. The petrol hardly sells. Even hardcore off roaders prefer a diesel engine for its low end torque.
Are you talking about India only or internationally where in many countries diesels are not the favorite of people because diesel is not cheaper by 30 rs per litre there!!

2) Talking about Lambos and Bugatis, dont assume that diesels cant perform -
World Fastest Diesel car - YouTube
The video is just an example.
Haha,buddy you know what,livign with you people for so long has given me TAI sixth sense.[clap].From last somedays its happening to me that I predict who is going to post what,or which post of mine will be deleted or even which mod is going to warn me and nearly 90% of the predictions prove to be right.
Same way I was expecting you to come up with this JCB car(same car which was shown in last auto expo) and you did!!
My dear,bring some 'road-going' car,not these 'made-for-purpose' ones.

3) I dont agree that Honda city is fun to drive. Or maybe it depends on what the driver is looking for. If he just wants a free revving engine, then the ANHC is good. But overall there are better cars in the segment.
Right you are,it depends on what the driver wants from the car.For example:SUV lovers don't find anything more than a tin box in the car.
and for any person who loves dynamics and high revving engines is going to love the City.Better car is Fiesta and Linea T-Jet.But i-vtec eclipses all the qualities of Fiesta and Linea gets beating on FE.

4) SUVs need torquey diesel engines, especially if they are 7 seaters.
Drive an Innova petrol or say vvt-i.It will show you what a petrol MUV/MPV can do.
Rest no doubt,no petrol car has as powerful low end as of a diesel car.I have nothing to say on this point.

Thread Starter #27

But without turbo,they are just lifeless and are a bit too shy to respond.And you yourself know that if the car is a petrol then even if the turbo is not running then also in the N/A region,the petrol still performs far far better than the diesel.
Problem is, we dont have good NA diesels in our country. So we cant really say. In any case, having a turbo should not be a factor as nobody has stopped a manufacturer to bring out all petrols with turbos.

Infact that is going to be the future - smaller engines with turbo. For example, Jetta 1.4 TSi.

And we are okay comparing a turbo petrol to a turbo diesel. You can compare the Cruze to the Laura Tsi or the Verna/Vento diesel to the Linea T-Jet. I prefer the Cruze and the Verna.

Are you sure you drove the T-Jet?Because it may be slightly hesitant below 2000 but still its not at all lifeless.Buddy just put some pressure on your brain and confirm it,I am sure the car would have been a multi-JET if what you are saying is true,else the car had some fault.
I own a FIAT and I do know the difference between the Multijet and T-Jet buddy.

After driving diesels, I feel all petrols lack the punch at lower rpms. The Jazz and new Swift petrol is a disaster. A pain in Mumbai traffic.

[*]Fiat Linea T-Jet offers about 21 kgm of torque which is nearly equal to that offered by Multijet diesel.
[*]Skoda Laura TSi offers about 25.5 kgm of torque which is equal to that of Laura TDi M/T and higher than that of Renault Fluence and Toyota Corolla.
[/LIST]
It is not just about the torque buddy. Its about when and how the torque is available.

Same way I was expecting you to come up with this JCB car(same car which was shown in last auto expo) and you did!!
My dear,bring some 'road-going' car,not these 'made-for-purpose' ones.
That is the reason I specifically mentioned - "this is just an example". It means I just wanted to show you that diesels can perform unlike what you think.

Drive an Innova petrol or say vvt-i.It will show you what a petrol MUV/MPV can do.
Driven it and thoroughly enjoyed it as far as power is concerned. But we were 4 people in the car and it dint have the pulling ability of the diesel. I am sure it will need a lot of wringing if there are 7 people in the car and we are driving on some ghats.

Rest no doubt,no petrol car has as powerful low end as of a diesel car.I have nothing to say on this point.
That is what I was saying - diesels offer effortless performance. Those who are accustomed to driving a diesel will not go back to a petrol. And I have seen many such cases. But those who have set a negative mindset for diesels will never like it, come what may.

I am not against petrols. I like driving petrol cars on open highways, especially bigger cars like Civic and Laura. But for everyday driving, I would pick a diesel anyday.

Anyways, to each his own...

Wow. Diesel or Petrol?
Time is not far when turbocharger becomes an integral part of a diesel (Like what mpfi has become to petrol engines). So we should start considering turbos as integral part of diesel engine and not an add on.
It is a known fact that a petrol engine has maximum efficiency of 35%, while a diesel engine has a maximum efficiency of 50%.
In recent decades, much has been done towards advancement of diesel engines, compared to petrol counterparts. Diesel engine today is much more advanced, in terms of refinement, efficiency, reliability, emission control, etc.
Petrol engines rev more, can give more power, but diesel engine provide more torque, that too when it is really required.
But for many of us, petrol or diesel is not a choice. Whatever comes within 2 lakhs is taken. Obviously petrol engines!!
Its more of a personal choice. Both engines have something to offer. But like many of us, who have switched to Diesel from petrol, its very hard to go back to petrol. The ease of driving a diesel is unmatched. And if you need power, sudden surge of power is at your disposal.
For me, its diesel.

I have driven only petrol cars so far and am happy with them. Earlier I had a Santro Xing and now Honda City. My annual running is only 7k to 8k km so a petrol car works out to be cheaper even with the present price difference of Rs. 27 per litre between petrol & diesel.

Problem is, we dont have good NA diesels in our country. So we cant really say. In any case, having a turbo should not be a factor as nobody has stopped a manufacturer to bring out all petrols with turbos.
Actually that turbo makes the power delivery non-linear.Try to understand my point now:-
Till 1500 rpm,the engine is just slept.After 1500-2000 it wakes up like an angry Lion and makes it even tougher to handle its power if in stop-move traffic.Then it gives you a very small rev range to play with.Say upto 3500-4000 rpm,and after that the power again seems to dissipate after 4000 rpm in most of the diesel cars and till 5000 rpm redline,the engine is dead again!![frustration]
This is what we don't encounter in petrol engines and hence I like the petrol engines,for their linear power delivery.Even if you have a turbocharger,still the top end is going to be powerful only.

Infact that is going to be the future - smaller engines with turbo. For example, Jetta 1.4 TSi.
+100..

And we are okay comparing a turbo petrol to a turbo diesel. You can compare the Cruze to the Laura Tsi or the Verna/Vento diesel to the Linea T-Jet. I prefer the Cruze and the Verna.
In both the cases,the petrol car is better performer and better handler too.
Laura TSi can easily outrun a Cruze in no time and same way a Fiat Linea T-Jet can easily outrun your Verna/Vento.

I own a FIAT and I do know the difference between the Multijet and T-Jet buddy.
Maybe it was a Mul-T-Jet!!A multijet with T-Jet logo on the boot.

After driving diesels, I feel all petrols lack the punch at lower rpms. The Jazz and new Swift petrol is a disaster. A pain in Mumbai traffic.
Eh,+100.No comments,truth is truth and its better to accept it as it is.

It is not just about the torque buddy. Its about when and how the torque is available.
But turbo petrols also deliver the torque as soon as the turbo is on,yes its not at as low as in diesels nor the torque is as high as of diesel cars but then Fun can never be measured in BHP or NM!!

Driven it and thoroughly enjoyed it as far as power is concerned. But we were 4 people in the car and it dint have the pulling ability of the diesel. I am sure it will need a lot of wringing if there are 7 people in the car and we are driving on some ghats.
I have driven one with 5 people and luggage on board on the hills of Himanchal Pradesh on the way to Jwala Ji.And I am quite sure,though this motor needs to be wrung but still no issue as its easy to wring the motor and hence the net progress in any petrol car is comparatively faster as compared to the diesel car.

That is what I was saying - diesels offer effortless performance. Those who are accustomed to driving a diesel will not go back to a petrol. And I have seen many such cases. But those who have set a negative mindset for diesels will never like it, come what may.
Eh,my father just doesn't like to sit in Corolla because he says "It has some sound inside".Now he is habitual of the calm and completely silent cabin of TSi.For this reason any person can shift from diesel to petrol.Maybe my next car will be Accord which my father liked and I found very tough to take him to Superb.Or even a Superb TSi!!

Anyways, to each his own...
These words always cut my hands,but still..100% true.

@Nozzlering:Dear leave this efficiency etc.Let the theory to be studied in classrooms only.Fun can never be measured in numbers!!

Top Bottom