Pedestrian Controlled Traffic Signals Equipped in New Delhi

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Delhi Government has equipped the city with modern technology Pelican (Pedestrian Light Controlled) Traffic Signals based on the foreign trend for busy streets which are especially amidst of public or residential areas. This system works as simple as saying one, two, and three. The photographs which you can see below are captured of traffic signal located at Sanjay Park. To cross the main road, all that you have to do is to push the button on the signal pole and voila. In less than 60 seconds, the light turns red for the traffic and you can easily cross the road. This is certainly a very useful feature and can be applied throughout the country. However, right now the only downside I see is, how many will actually obey. At least in Delhi people, thankfully, are usually obeying this system and pedestrians are enjoying using it to the fullest. [thumbsup]

Drive Safe,
350Z

Attachments

Yeah certainly useful for the pedestrians but how many people are actually going to obey these signals? Here in Chennai people don't obey the automated signals itself!

And what if the pedestrians keep using the signal halting the vehicles very often? It may get irritating for the vehicle users if the signal keeps switching often.

i travel through that road lot of time and most of people jump that light get good gift from traffic police who are hiding behind tree :biggrin:

Yeah certainly useful for the pedestrians but how many people are actually going to obey these signals? Here in Chennai people don't obey the automated signals itself!

And what if the pedestrians keep using the signal halting the vehicles very often? It may get irritating for the vehicle users if the signal keeps switching often.
I totally agree with you. Its the same case even in Pune.

Thread Starter #7

350Z

Core Team
Yes. The cops on this place always hide themselves behind a tree but for good. You can easily spot an instance when a motorist is caught for violating the traffic rules. This could also be the reason why people usually do not jump this particular signal often.

Drive Safe,
350Z

well you can always find me at that road in morning as i go to noida waiting for light to go green and that too alone rest of cars keep jumping that light

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team
how many people are actually going to obey these signals? Here in Chennai people don't obey the automated signals itself!
More strictness and vigilance through CCTVs can certainly help.

This is not possible. Pelican signals are a foolproof system. They have a built-in functionality which prevents usage every now and then. For example: if the button has been pressed once by someone and after a moment you press it again, the light will not glow until a specific amount of time has been passed.

well you can always find me at that road in morning as i go to noida waiting for light to go green and that too alone rest of cars keep jumping that light
Let’s see if we could catch up someday.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom