Parking Car on Incline / Decline Surface

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

Need your input on a confusion which I am facing now[confused]. I am shifting my residence. My new residence has a car parking facility, but my car will not completely get inside but will partially get in & also there is a incline. My query or concern is I heard somebody saying suspension will suffer if car is parked on incline or decline. Please correct me, but put light on this topic whether this is true or not. I do not want to park my car outside but yes if there is a chance of suspension getting spoilt I have no choice[cry]. Also adding on to it somebody has flicked the original Car Cover[anger], please refer me where can I get a car cover of good quality for a good price.

Drive Safe.
Santosh.V

I don't think it will be a problem for the suspension. The only thing you need to take care about is that if you park on the incline than keep your tires turned onto the left hand side and if it is a decline than keep them turned onto the right hand side.

The reason is if the car is parked on the decline and if it rolls back then it will tend to turn to right and if there are any road payments, they will stop the car to roll. And vice-versa

There wouldn't be much of a problem for the suggestion only the stress is more, and go with Singh's Suggestion its good. Another important thing is keep your car engaged in 1st or Reverse gear, that would do well.

I park my car daily on inclined slope.
I put hand brake, engage car in any gear, and if I happen to find one then I also put the stone or anything solid material below my tyre just to be on the safer side. :-)

I don't think it will be a problem for the suspension. The only thing you need to take care about is that if you park on the incline than keep your tires turned onto the left hand side and if it is a decline than keep them turned onto the right hand side.

The reason is if the car is parked on the decline and if it rolls back then it will tend to turn to right and if there are any road payments, they will stop the car to roll. And vice-versa
Always prefer to park your car with tires being straight. Tires turned right/left create a tension in the steering system which if prolonged can cause issues in steering rack. Moreover, on an incline this tension increases so better to park with tires straight. For better protection of car slipping, one can place a brick on the tires that are towards the incline.

freakdude.

I also put the stone or anything solid material below my tyre just to be on the safer side. :-)
Tires turned right/left create a tension in the steering system which if prolonged can cause issues in steering rack.
Above 2 are very valid points.
Parking in inclined surface cause no harm to the suspension, but to the brakes. When we park our vehicle with hand brakes (after considerabel running) brake pads and disk / drum will be hot and expanded. After cooling they contract and efficiency of hand brake will not be as good when you parked initially. It is always better to put a stone behind / before the wheels.

Thread Starter #10
Hey Guys,

Thanks a ton for all your valuable inputs[clap], +1 to what all of you said but guess what!! the surface is tiles no hand break nor gear works the car tends to slowly move down inch by inch, ain't that scary??[surprise]. I have posted few pics for all you guys to get a better clarity. Hoping to get inputs on it.

Image2198.jpg

Image2199.jpg

Image2200.jpg

Image2201.jpg

Image2202.jpg

Image2203.jpg

Slope isin't much as from the pics but the slippery nature sure can play a part. As Varun pointed out place something under tires to prevent rolling, but rather than stone/brick i'd suggest a wooden log. Get 2 pieces done at any timber house in a right triangle design. Stone would slip too on this surface.

freakdude.

Parking car on slope?

At my work place I daily park my car on steep slope. I have hand brakes applied plus to be on safer side I keep car in any gear and if I happen to find any stone will also put it below tyre. The question I have is, parking car on slope will affect hand brake in short/long term? I am concerned about the brakes? [confused]

Re: Parking car on slope?

If your car has to be parked on a slope regularly, why dont you consider the idea of buying a 'tyre stopper' and use the same instead of searching for stones. It gives peace of mind too!

Well, regarding the hand brakes; even I get this doubt many times. People who have experienced any wear and tear due to excessive use of hand brakes on slopes can throw some light.

Top Bottom