Panel Suggests Uniform 6% Road Tax

350Z

Core Team
That’s a welcome move. There’s a considerable on-road price difference in Delhi over Haryana. No wonder why most of the cars in Delhi run on HR registered plates.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Just caught this on a news channel. Excellent move I must say and there should also be a proposal to drive the car anywhere a person wants. '1 country 1 tax' can be the slogan [lol]
I should be able to take my car anywhere I want, may be an NOC along with an amount of around 3-5K could be thought of as Reasonable !!
Moreover, there is a hint that the Diesel prices are slated to go up very soon as well as the duty on Diesel cars !! Just when I was thinking of buying a Diesel..[frustration]

Last edited:
Panel suggests uniform 6% road tax - The Times of India

A good new for the people who cannot buy the dream car due to very high road tax like me in Bangalore! [;)][cheers][clap]
No, it will not be flat 6 %. If you read the news carefully, below is the quoted text.

"Many states expressed the view that a floor rate may be suggested for cars/taxis," it said. The committee said cars may be covered under a lumpsum tax across the country. "The floor rate of tax may be kept at 6% of sale price. However, flexibility may be available to the states to charge higher rate of tax in general or on specific models," the committee said.

This means that state like Karnataka can still charge the absurdly high rates.

No, it will not be flat 6 %. If you read the news carefully, below is the quoted text.

"Many states expressed the view that a floor rate may be suggested for cars/taxis," it said. The committee said cars may be covered under a lumpsum tax across the country. "The floor rate of tax may be kept at 6% of sale price. However, flexibility may be available to the states to charge higher rate of tax in general or on specific models," the committee said.

This means that state like Karnataka can still charge the absurdly high rates.
Yep, true and they will !! [lol]

At one place they say a uniform 6% tax yet at the same time they say a state can be allowed to charge higher rate of tax in general or specific models, this is like contradicting their own statement & biased. Giving the baton to a state like AP which is money hungry will surely put the tax at 10% if not more. So it would be better there is NO flexibility allowed in tax structure & a uniform % be levied to streamline it

Top Bottom