Painting Plastics - Bonnet Cowl

Thread Starter #1

zengetz

Suspended
So being saturday I started the day by giving my black beauty a bath first and it looked clean. Since I had all the time I though why not go ahead and burn some calories polishing it.

So finished polishing the car and the results were as usual amazing (Tho I know its going to be short lived - Keepinga a black car clean is TOUGH).

BUT, there was one thing letting the hard work down and its the black plastic Cowl on the bonnet which faded over time. I normally use dashboard spray to try and restore the shine but 2 years now the plastic looked real sad - started turning gray. So I thought its time to replace it and planned to go in the evening and order for a replacement.

Wait a minute ! What if I paint this and this could be my first DIY at TAI [evil] !

So I looked through my tools cupboard and I had Black spray paint and also Primer Spray. All I had to do was get some sand paper and get started. So quickly, I dismantled the cowl and gave it a good wash.

Now time to sand it real nice and smooth. I used 150 first and then P220 to fine sand it and make it super smooth.

Attachments

Thread Starter #4

zengetz

Suspended
After a couple of coats of primer, the moment of truth time to spray this thing black

Attachments

Thread Starter #8

zengetz

Suspended
Thanks Bro, I'm waiting for it to dry up completely. I just sprayed the wipers too and I will be fitting them in the morning. I myself cant wait !

350Z

Core Team
Congratulations and the outcome is awesome. These black plastic parts fade much earlier and spoil the overall looks if not kept polished. I am sure people will benefit with this small yet effective DIY. Great job. [thumbswink]

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom