Ownership Review of Our New Wagon-R CNG LXi - 2012

Thread Starter #1
Prologue

Soon after the purchase of an first generation face lifted pre-owned Honda city 1.3L Petrol, need arises for alternate fuel option increased daily run of my dad. We started looking for a suitable CNG kit for our recently purchased Honda city, but few mechanics suggested us against the kit for this 1.54L KM old car and this triggers our search for a brand new car for my dad in exchange of this old one.

Why CNG?

Diesel variants are out of list due to high initial capital cost and left us with only two options CNG and LPG, due to scarce availability and higher per km run compare to CNG we choose this fuel option.

We considered following hatchback's in order of our preference:

1) Hyundai Santro
2) Maruti Suzuki WagonR
3) Volkswagen Polo
4) Ford Figo
5) Maruti Suzuki Ritz
6) Maruti Suzuki Alto K10

Test drove all the above cars and finally selected WagonR with factory fitted CNG kit, this time both my mind and heart was saying Hyundai Santro with dealer fitted CNG kit but at last Maruti Suzuki WagonR wins the race.

Why Maruti Suzuki WagonR Green?

Here is the thought process for above mentioned hatchback's one by one:

1) Hyundai Santro: Since the launch of this car i wanted to purchase it one day, but on each occasion I missed this opportunity narrowly due to one or another reason and same thing happened again.

I like the peppy drive and solid built of this car, and design of this car is fabulous my most of the friends had this car but this time spoiler is a few months old new rule of Hyundai according to which exchange bonus will be honored for 6 months old ownership.

Why this rule? To eliminate the chances of old scraped car being exchanged for the benefit of exchange bonus like a 10K, Maruti 800 car being exchanged for 30K (10K cost +20K exchange bonus) but IMO core purpose is still defeated. Hyundai is only going down the drain, so this throws out my favorite car out of the list.

2) Maruti Suzuki WagonR: Being a previous owner of two Maruti cars and out of which one is Maruti Suzuki WagonR itself you probably tend to knows all pros and cons of this car, only good thing in favor of Maruti is that they are cheaper to purchase and easier on pockets to maintain.

I hate trademark rattling noises of Maruti and boxy design of WagonR but still same is VFM, I think people hardly buy this car for its looks; We all like WagonR for its all around view, comfortable seating position, roomy interior and easy ingress/outgress, company fitted CNG kit was the final thing which tilted everything in favor of this car.

3) Volkswagen Polo: Why this car is in the CNG purchase list? Yes it has a soft corner in my heart and sometimes I am little biased towards it. Excellent fit and finish and unmatchable ride and handling, a great car to own, we eliminated this due to compatibility issues with CNG kit, I tried hard to convince my dad for Trendline TDI but rates are quite steep now due to recent few hikes in prices, so this car was out of budget and out of list for us.

4) Ford Figo: Again a very good vehicle with perfect engine but cost cutting is visible at every nook and corner, great vehicle to drive and you will get good VFM overall but still I am not happy with the overall build quality of this vehicle, we was looking for both Petrol and Diesel variant but somehow it didn’t fit in our bills and this car was out of list for us.

5) Maruti Suzuki Ritz: Yes I missed Diesel Ritz quite narrowly during the purchase of my diesel hatchback few months backs, I liked the design and seating height inside the car ingress and outgress is quite easy with big roomy interior, this time too we are looking for both Petrol and Diesel variant but somehow it didn’t fit in our bills again and this car was out of list for us.

6) Maruti Suzuki Alto K10: This car is cheapest to maintain and easier to own, same is the only plus point apart from that didn’t find much to write about it. We ended up booking this car VXI trim but cancelled the booking next day, our earlier plan was to run this car in petrol mode for few months and then opt for aftermarket CNG kit but I somehow manage to convince my dad for factory fitted CNG kit and Wagon R due reliability and more space respectively.

Maruti Suzuki WagonR Cost

Presently Maruti Suzuki WagonR green comes only in LXi trim so no other choice left with us, one pro limited edition WagonR was available with 30K accessories (As claimed by Maruti) but I found them quite cheap on Waggy (no offence please) I out-rightly refused for this limited edition car which they are offering to me on payment of extra 13-15K.

I paid total 4.424L onroad, cost of few accessories were billed separately and above this amount.

Offer, Discounts and accessories:

1) Basic kit for 1.4k to 1.5k which includes mud flaps, temple, textile mat, car perfume.
2) Corporate discount, we got Indian Army corporate discount of 9K
3) 27K cash discount
4) 8K worth free music system which we upgraded by paying 3.5K extra
5) 9.99% special ROI scheme from HDFC and ICICI bank
5) 4.9K paid separately for central lock

Dealer experience:

Initially we booked our car via Magic Auto but due to better deal offered by Rana motors on our old car we switched our booking to them. Our SA kept his promise and deliver this car within 2 hrs after the loan approval.

ICICI Bank experience

We had a horrible experience with this bank in past auto loans and this time there is no exception.

Since our SA at Magic Auto had insisted for this bank we submitted our documents and got the approval within 24Hrs from the bank, the problem started after we tried to transfer this approved loan to Rana motors, the representative of ICICI bank at Magic Auto delayed our file transfer for more than 2 days and they only transfer the file after writing mails to everyone.

No response to our mails from senior management at ICICI bank or Maruti Suzuki. Shockingly Maruti Suzuki customer care refused to accept our complain against their dealer Magic auto which was hand in glove with ICICI bank in delaying our loan file transfer.

I recommend everyone to be cautious while dealing with Magic Auto and ICICI bank.

Here are the few pics to start with, will soon post lots of pics and details about this car

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Index

1) Post 1000KM and first service updates

Last edited:
Re: Ownership Review of our new WagonR CNG Lxi - 2012

Congratulations Toughguy for the brand new Wagon R being a part of your family. Please do share about the driving experience especially in CNG/LPG mode. Also about the city mileage both in petrol and gas. Have fun with your brand new car Wagon R :)

CNG seems to be sensible choice Congrats for that [clap].

I have some queries,can you try to answer all these questions ahh too many questions [roll]

How much is CNG tank capacity? How many KGs of CNG can you get in one refill? and is it the long waiting queues for refill.

Please comment about the drive ability with AC too, I mean do you have to rev a bit in the first gear when the car is standing still to get it moving or is it just like when you're driving on petrol ? (Initial pickup i am talking abt what is the difference)

Does it automatically switches back to petrol when CNG is finished.

Only issue is availability and in Bangalore there is no CNG available.

ToughGuy, Congrats for the new Car. For CNG, WagonR is the best option available in the market today. Because it comes with the company fitted CNG, so no more hassles of getting your car registered twice (in case of external CNG).
Also, in terms of FE WagonR CNG as well as petrol returns great fuel efficiency.

Hey friend!! Congrats on your new car. I am having Spark LPG. Pls share some pics of your rear boot, CNG Tank and pls answer the questions of manjoo. he had asked whatever I wanted to ask.

Additionally, pls let us know the FE you get. I know it is toooo early. But even then you can just mention it.

Congrats ToughGuy for the new purchase. When it comes to CNG, only one name comes to mind - the very reliable Wagon R. And as you are getting a company fitted CNG kit you don't have to worry about the warranty and the other issues. Nice choice of color too. Really liked it. In all makes a very practical buy in the current scenario when the Petrol prices are sky-rocketing.

Do keep us updated about the performance of the car when run on CNG. And yes what everybody is keen to know , how much is the fuel efficiency.

Congrats once again. Drive safe!

congrats tough guy
I too heard issues with Magic auto and ICICI
i have an ongoing case already with ICICI therefore wouldn't consider them at any cost
why didn't you try for SBI ?

350Z

Core Team
Congrats for Wagon-R. Your reviews are crisp as usual. That color looks sober and makes it somewhat different from other Wagon-Rs running on roads. Was this car purchased through CSD? Don’t forget to add more images. Happy Motoring. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey Toughguy Congrats for Wagon R

Post some more pictures of your Wagon R. My Dad's Wagon R has gone for dent repair work, and when it comes back I am thinking about getting new HU and improving its interiors. Please post some more pics.

hi congrats on the Green waggy!
btw which HU is that on your dash? it fits perfectly well with wagon-r dash. does it have USB/ Bluetooth?
kindly mention the model no.

Congrat's on your new car buddy, Wagon-r is a one of the most VFM small car available in the market. what is the fuel capacity of both CNG & petrol?

Thread Starter #14
Congratulations Toughguy for the brand new Wagon R being a part of your family.
Thanks Magi

Please do share about the driving experience especially in CNG/LPG mode. Also about the city mileage both in petrol and gas. Have fun with your brand new car Wagon R :)
Driving experience in CNG is good, there is a slight power drop in CNG mode compare to petrol but same is manageable. Still have to check the mileage in petrol but on gas we are getting above 20 km/kg.

CNG seems to be sensible choice Congrats for that [clap].

I have some queries,can you try to answer all these questions ahh too many questions [roll]

How much is CNG tank capacity? 12KG gas cylinder

How many KGs of CNG can you get in one refill? Usually fills upto 8-9kg depending upon temperature and pressure at filling station

and is it the long waiting queues for refill. The place where i currently live got more than 12 CNG filling stations within 4-5 km of distance, so no issues of long waiting queue. Even at other places in Delhi you will get CNG in 15-20 minutes at max

Please comment about the drive ability with AC too, I mean do you have to rev a bit in the first gear when the car is standing still to get it moving or is it just like when you're driving on petrol ? (Initial pickup i am talking abt what is the difference) Obviously CNG will not match the pickup of the petrol which surely is a superior fuel, you have to rev a bit to keep the box rolling :)

Does it automatically switches back to petrol when CNG is finished. Yes

Only issue is availability and in Bangalore there is no CNG available. If so then please wait till it becomes available there
Manjoo thanks a lots for your wishes, i tried my best to answer your queries above in bold please get back to me if you have any more doubts.

ToughGuy, Congrats for the new Car. For CNG, WagonR is the best option available in the market today. Because it comes with the company fitted CNG, so no more hassles of getting your car registered twice (in case of external CNG).

Also, in terms of FE WagonR CNG as well as petrol returns great fuel efficiency.
Thanks Sandip24, yes WagonR green is the best available option in the CNG fuel mode. Company fitted CNG kit is far superior than their aftermarket counterpart and this statement is based on my experience with both types of kit.

Hey friend!! Congrats on your new car. I am having Spark LPG. Pls share some pics of your rear boot, CNG Tank and pls answer the questions of manjoo. he had asked whatever I wanted to ask.

Additionally, pls let us know the FE you get. I know it is toooo early. But even then you can just mention it.
Thanks Sethumurugan for your wishes, not sure about the petrol but i am getting more than 20km/kg right now.

Congrats ToughGuy for the new purchase. When it comes to CNG, only one name comes to mind - the very reliable Wagon R. And as you are getting a company fitted CNG kit you don't have to worry about the warranty and the other issues. Nice choice of color too. Really liked it. In all makes a very practical buy in the current scenario when the Petrol prices are sky-rocketing.

Do keep us updated about the performance of the car when run on CNG. And yes what everybody is keen to know , how much is the fuel efficiency.

Congrats once again. Drive safe!
Thanks GM88 for your lovely words, surely this is the best option available to us.

congrats tough guy
I too heard issues with Magic auto and ICICI
i have an ongoing case already with ICICI therefore wouldn't consider them at any cost
why didn't you try for SBI ?
Threeace777 thanks for your wishes, i had a very bad experience with ICICI bank in past too. We considered SBI too but due to ongoing 9.99% ROI scheme from ICICI and HDFC bank in collaboration with Maruti Suzuki, we choose them.

Congrats for Wagon-R. Your reviews are crisp as usual. That color looks sober and makes it somewhat different from other Wagon-Rs running on roads. Was this car purchased through CSD? Don’t forget to add more images. Happy Motoring. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z
350Z thanks for your wishes and kind words, no we purchases them directly from dealer not from CSD but we availed special defense scheme for corporate discount.

Hey Toughguy Congrats for Wagon R

Post some more pictures of your Wagon R. My Dad's Wagon R has gone for dent repair work, and when it comes back I am thinking about getting new HU and improving its interiors. Please post some more pics.
Thanks Rightnow for your wishes, will soon post more pics.

hi congrats on the Green waggy!
btw which HU is that on your dash? it fits perfectly well with wagon-r dash. does it have USB/ Bluetooth?
kindly mention the model no.
Thanks kannan for your wishes, HU model number is NDCR BT99 Audio with USB and Bluetooth features same has been manufactured for Maruti by Nippon.

Congrats on your Tall Boy TG.Wagon-R is one of the best cars when it comes to CNG.
Thanks Music_Swift for your wishes.

Congrat's on your new car buddy, Wagon-r is a one of the most VFM small car available in the market. what is the fuel capacity of both CNG & petrol?
Thanks Visran for your wishes, Fuel capacity of CNG cylinder is 12KG and 35Ltr is Petrol tank capacity

Congratulate for green car BTW that music system is JVC or original company
Thanks Mastersquall for your wishes, no this is Nippon dual din HU manufactured for Maruti and it's model number is NDCR BT99 Audio, this comes with MP3/CD/USB/SD/FM and Bluetooth features.

We also opted for 4 Nippon speakers which were good enough for my dad.

Thread Starter #15
Review Contd...

DSC07904.JPG

Now the new LXi trim comes with power window on both front doors, which earlier was not the case

DSC07905.JPG

Now the glove box has been placed little lower compare to previous model, opening and closing of the same is little tricky now

DSC07908.JPG

Deep glove box, which got ample space now

DSC07909.JPG

Center console now looks better and simple, it has now got a flow in design

DSC07911.JPG

Speedometer design is also now more tempting and will please your eyes, you will now notice numbers of warning light on both side of speedometer, including the driver side seat warning lamp

DSC07912.JPG

Auto start on petrol and auto shift to CNG, you can switch fuel mode on the fly. Quite easy to operate and quite lite on you pockets

DSC07913.JPG

Power windows switch of drivers side are well placed, driver side window is with express feature

DSC07914.JPG

Gear is more smooth now, compare to the previous versions, wish the lever has round shape instead of oval one which hurts the palm

Top Bottom