Ownership Review: Chevy Spark LTO

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

First of all: DON'T BUY SPARK, THE MILEAGE IS REALLY REALLY LOW !!!!

I had Ford Figo ZXi (TDCi) when I bought Chevy Spark for my wife in October 2011. The expected running was less than 600 kms per month. So after checking A-Star and Chevy Spark, my wife and sis. decided to go for Chevy Spark LTO model which had Airbag and ABS, Alloys etc.

Took the delivery, the vehicle felt OK, worked all fine on the. As I had to goto Singapore nobody touched the car for few days. After coming back even then nobody touched car much except wife/sis took it for a round here and there. But the ODO did'nt even cross 100 kms. after a month.

In the meantime winters had started and AC was not used at all but still the car was not being used so much but I got the service done whenever it was required as per schedule.

In Jan 2012 I had to sell Figo due to some financial reasons and now the primary vehicle was Spark. I started using it and it was giving mileage of 16.66 kmpl which I thought was OK for city driving. Though I always felt that cars in competition are giving 19+ where as this tiny car is giving only 16.66 kmpl even when I driving very lightly and turning off engine at every red light and what not. To me it was sort of an disappointment but somehow I stayed clam. The first service costed Rs. 500 and second service costed Rs. 1500 which is fine I guess.

But the real problem has started now in summers, the mileage has drastically dropped to 12-13 kmpls. :mad: it really makes me angry. I asked the same with service people and they said that this is the mileage that spark gives. Internally i accused myself of buying such a stupid car.

Anyways I have bought it and nothing can be done about it. I just feel cheated. Now rest of the stuff about car:

Pros:
* Nice interiors
* Cute Exteriors
* ABS + Airbag
* Free stuff
* Power Windows + Steering

Cons:
* Ultra Low Mileage
* AC is not good at all (Alto's AC is way way good).
* Car engine heats up too quickly.
* The air vents are stupid, they throw air in their own style which does'nt reaches the passenger.

Nutshell: If you're buying a petrol car (specifically a small car) buy a car that is:

* Low in price (Get the full discount, freebies etc.)
* Gives the maximum mileage
* Requires low maintanince

Coz I feel that if you go for looks etc. (like my wife/sis decided) it pinches later when you fill up the tank every few days and then you feel that you should have gotten a better car. In today's high petrol prices, the looks don't stand a chance IMO. Only the cost of ownership should be the main concern.

Now for the rest of the stuff about Spark:

According to me the car's absolutely fine, its just the mileage that it is lacking. If GM can work on it and make it better then definitely its a better car but without it the car just pinches. The drive-ability is great, easy to maneuver in traffic, easy to park and reverse. There are 2 dealers of GM so service is not an issue though Padam is giving great after sales service.

I don't know what to tell about this car much, its a normal petrol car which has very low mileage lol!!! Just beware of it and buy A-Star or K10 or even an Estilo.

Thanks.

First of all: DON'T BUY SPARK, THE MILEAGE IS REALLY REALLY LOW !!!!
You seem to be really disappointed. Never came across a review like this on TAI! [surprise]

But the real problem has started now in summers, the mileage has drastically dropped to 12-13 kmpls.
was that mileage figure with a/c ON or OFF? or does your driving style change during summers?

I don't know what to tell about this car much, its a normal petrol car which has very low mileage lol!!! Just beware of it and buy A-Star or K10 or even an Estilo.
I agree to you to an extent. If one wants a good mileage, low maintenance car, its always the maruti. But I feel a bit sad for you since you are not at all satisfied! [confused]

Thread Starter #3
Hi,

Indeed its such a disappointment by such a small car. With AC OFF i get 16.66 kmpl with AC ON I am getting 12-13 kmpl. Also I don't feel that AC is that effective, that it should suck so much petrol. The AC is average I must say and my driving style does not changes at all. I am driving cars since 2001. Had 800, then Corsa then Alto, Figo, Spark and now booked Ertiga.

Thanks.

Even we have a Spark, the car is good enough to be called as nice small car. The space and interior quality is better than Alto. I am not sure what exactly is mileage but I believe it should be definately 15 KMPL. I just drove it for 400-500 km when I visited my home town. Easy to drive and also didn't feel it lacks power. May be the reason I don't have enough experience on driving a car other than Santro and Spark. Now I have booked ERTIGA ZDI. Hope after driving ZDI if I get to drive Spark, I should get the same feeling to ride Pulsar150 after riding Karizma ZMR.

350Z

Core Team
The first service costed Rs. 500 and second service costed Rs. 1500 which is fine I guess.
Welcome to The Automotive India, Kilkoo. Thanks for sharing an honest review. Initial mileage of 16 Kmpl was quite acceptable in the cities. How about uploading some pictures of the car? Also, why did the workshop charge for the for the first service? I think it’s supposed to be free of cost.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Chevrolet spark LT option pack ? never seen a spark equipped with abs and airbags, are you talking about beat LT option pack ?

Sorry for the above post. Seems Chevy offered abs + driver side airbag with spark LT option pack and they discontinued the same model sometimes ago.

Hi,

Indeed its such a disappointment by such a small car. With AC OFF i get 16.66 kmpl with AC ON I am getting 12-13 kmpl. Also I don't feel that AC is that effective, that it should suck so much petrol. The AC is average I must say and my driving style does not changes at all. I am driving cars since 2001. Had 800, then Corsa then Alto, Figo, Spark and now booked Ertiga.

Thanks.
Oh. But my friends who own spark never reported any complains. Maybe coz they travel very less!
Anyways, congrats on your ertiga. So are you planning to sell this vehicle off?

Thread Starter #9
Welcome to The Automotive India, Kilkoo. Thanks for sharing an honest review. Initial mileage of 16 Kmpl was quite acceptable in the cities. How about uploading some pictures of the car? Also, why did the workshop charge for the for the first service? I think it’s supposed to be free of cost.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Hi,

Thanks 350z. They only charged me for some oil and nothing else. No labour or taxes etc.

Chevrolet spark LT option pack ? never seen a spark equipped with abs and airbags, are you talking about beat LT option pack ?
Ya I fell in the trap due to this! :(

Oh. But my friends who own spark never reported any complains. Maybe coz they travel very less!
Anyways, congrats on your ertiga. So are you planning to sell this vehicle off?
No I am not planning to sell it. As i bought it for my wife, she will use it.

Thanks.

Dear Kikloo,

So sorry to know about your problems

I have got 2 sparks in my family. I have bought a LT a few months back. 16.6kmpl is a good mileage in city for a new car. With AC you got 12-13 kmpl. I think that is acceptable too in this extremely hot summer. You should get 19+ on highway.

my dad's spark has crossed 45K mark in 3 years. He still gets 20kmpl on highway.Dad spent <Rs.9000/- total as Paid service towards maintenance till today compared to Rs.14890/- which I spent on my previous WagonR in 3 years. Used to exchange my Waggy with Dad's Spark whenever possible just to enjoy the smoothness of Spark engine.

So I bought Spark LT 5 months back. I am loving it!! My first servicing did cost me Rs.0 only, :-) I regularly get 19+ during highway drive. In city it is approx 15-16 km with AC. Done 3000+KM. 2nd service is due in June.I never found the AC ineffective as you have mentioned.
Yes there was huffs and puffs with AC on during first few hundred kms. I could feel the strain on engine during that time. But know it is just fine. huffs and puffs are gone after 1st servicing. very little strain can be felt on the engine above 1500 RPM. Recently travelled 420 kms (highway) with 22L of petrol, AC 40%. Used the AC during last 2 hours of the 5 hours travel. Got 19kmpl. I am happy with the FE.

Saurav

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Hi Saurav,

I am lad that you're enjoying the car, but I strictly bought the car for city driving and I am not really impressed by the mileage. I had Alto LXi in past and it used to give me 17+ in any condition. I was satisfied with Alto. But with 13 kmpl I am not satisfied. A small car means a budget car. My Corsa used to give me 12-13 kmpl in city which is way heavier than Spark, so I totally fail to understand why Spark fails to give so less mileage.

I am from Chandigarh and I feel that there's not much rush / jams in Chandigarh like in other cities and I easily drive in 5th gear most of the times. I do not rev. much, do not race and drive with a light foot. I got 18-19 kmpl from Figo easily. After a lot of checking and conclusion I came to understand that this car is strictly meant for women drive (who really don't care about mileage and stuff (no offence ladies)).

I mean I could have gone with K10 (21 kmpl), Eon (21 kmpl), A-Star (19 kmpl) and so many other small cars which are now a days giving 17+ in any condition. I am not even sure if Spark is Euro-4 or not. Anyways I care about my wife and respect her wishes hence she asked for it, I got her. No regrets.

I understand that Spark's fit finish is good and its overall durable but it does'nt means that it should sacrifice in terms of affordability. I could have spent 75000 more and could have got Beat Diesel and I feel it would have made sense.

But I am happy to hear that you're getting a great mileage from Spark which I fail to understand how you're getting it. Though my Spark will sledom go on highway.

I fill it up for Rs. 1000 and I get 15.04 ltrs. (When petrol was 66.48 in my city) it barely does 250 kms. till the fuel gauge shows empty. Without AC it used to do 250 but that also by driving very carefully etc. else it would die at 220-230 kms. only. So even if I say I get 250 kms. without AC it exactly comes down to 16.66 kmpl. And in summers now with AC it barely reaches the 200 kms mark, but assuming that it does 200 kms everytime it comes to 13.29 kmpl which IMO is way too low for such a small car.

Also I feel that Spark drastically needs DTE.

Hence my advice and bottom line on buying a budget pertol car is:

1. It should cost less in every way.
2. Should give the maximum mileage.
3. Service should cost as less as possible.

Only then I feel a middle class person can afford a petrol car in such scenario. Alto K10 and Eon are doing well and Sprak has miles to go attain that figure. The car is expensive, the service is expensive and most of all it has low mileage.

One request, can you post the service schedule of the spark ? I mean at what interval / kms. the service needs getting done ? I lost the service book.

Thanks.

Dear Kikloo,

Mileage should be measured by tankful to tankful method for accuracy. I measure it that way.

I don't know how i am getting this mileage. [:)]but touch wood each and every car I had returned me superb mileage. My good old Premier padmini 1986 returns 16kmpl even today on highways when I drive her around 70kmph. I had a Alto LXI 2005 model too. sold it after 3 years. Space was the issue. used to get upto 22kmpl on highway.loved its FE. [clap] My wagonR used to return 18 kmpl on highway. Sold her due to a peculiar noise from front left wheel that no one could sort out. It was not that bad but i hate vibration and noise.

I agree that you may not get the FE of K10 3 cyl engine from spark. 3 cyl engines are known for their fuel efficiency. Eon has the santro engine minus one cylinder. Look at the good old champs 3 cyl M800 and Alto 800. the new wagonr with K10 3 cyl engine returns better mileage than the previous 4 cyl one.that's another topic.

Before buying my Spark LT I test drove Eon, Alto K10 and the new WagonR. these cars are Gems.Had their own +ve and -ve sides. had to agree that Spark has the most silent cabin among them.Wify loves this car (important [:)]) . Moreover found Spark package VFM (LT 3.75L on road including Autocop, gearlock and a few accessories after discounts and negotiations.)

So, my suggestion is if someone wants a car with a default good mileage he/she should go for 3 cyl ones. but many of my 3cyl petrol car owner friends including me noticed that after crossing about 50K marks vibrations,3 cyl thrum and lack of power in these engines start to show up. but they are always best for mileage.

You can download the manual from:
http://www.chevrolet.co.in/content/...en_IN/04_Owners/downloads/CarManual_SPARK.pdf

Thread Starter #13
Hi Lucas,

Ya the accessories they are giving free with Spark tempts you to purchase that little bug. But its a trap! Haha! I crossed the 6000 kms. mark on it and the gears seems to be a bit notchy. Without AC the car drives fine.

Will bigger tires help increase mileage ? Mine has 155/70 13. Will 14 inches give some boost to mileage ?

Thanks.

@kikloo - bigger tyres means less mileage.. But there are some tyres which give you enough mileage but the increase would be just 1-2kms. I don't think its worth it if you are upgrading the tyres just for mileage.

Thread Starter #15
@kikloo - bigger tyres means less mileage.. But there are some tyres which give you enough mileage but the increase would be just 1-2kms. I don't think its worth it if you are upgrading the tyres just for mileage.
Can you please tell me what tyres would that be ? A 1-2 kms means 15 kmpl with AC and 18 without AC [clap]

Top Bottom