Ownership Review: Chevy Spark LTO

:-) Well actually the accessories didn't tempt me to buy the car as the total cost of those will be around just 10K.

these are the reasons i went for Spark LT:

I wanted a petrol car.

WagonR: I liked the WagonR interiors. good amount of space. more planted on road than the previous models but didn't like the exterior at all. particularly the side profile. high speed turn is still a issue in the new model. Maruti has ruined the look of the car. moreover I didn't want to buy a waggy again.

Alto K10: Space and engine noise at high rev were the issues with Alto K10. At first I loved it but after half an hour of long drive it became irritating. Cabin noise insulation was about nil. almost the same old dull interiors.

I10: Opted out I10 as the sportz GLS was too costly for a petrol hatch of that size.The sportz GLS costs 5L on road. I10 is not a premium hatch in my opinion rather it is a overpriced hatch (is it because of its international image??). better to buy a beat diesel at that price if you want a diesel. But Gear shift is great in I10. best in class. this car is fun to drive.

Eon: Due to cramped rear space (not for 2 six ft persons at front and back seat) and lack of power eon was opted out. i didn't like the performance of the car with AC on. this car is just beautiful inside out. hyundai should have provided more rear leg room rather than a large boot in that hatch. though priced competitively it is not a car for families with tall people.

Santro: I don't like the boxy look of santro. but it has a peppy engine. back seat ride is not good at all. I found the back seat ride in Eon much better.

I would suggest you to stick with the OEM spec. tyres. 14 inch wont boost mileage. it may rather hamper the ride quality.

Hi Kikloo, first of all congratulation on the new Spark. My 2 cents on the points that were mentioned in this thread (from my 4 year experience as a Spark owner).

1) AC is really weak, specially in the summers. I asked about this to ASS, and they said that re-mapping the ECU might help. Did not do it as not sure if it would really help. Also getting sun films is no longer an option.
Incidentally this feedback has gone to GM. The latest Spark (see TOI ad 10-6-2012) has powerful AC as well as tinted glass.

2) You are right, mileage is on the lower side. In Kolkata city, I never get more than 13 km/lt (without AC). Compared to that, your figures are good. However I have to drive through densely populated areas which I dont think is the case with you.

3) With the cash less ownership offer; you should not be paying a single penny. Not sure why they charged you in first or second service. They should not be charging for oil, filters, or labor. They would only charge if there has been a damage etc due to an accident. Also the cash less ownership offer period starts from the day of registration, so keep that in mind.

4) Since you have driven only a few hundred kms only, give time to break in the engine. With time the engine will become ultra smooth, super quiet and responsive and mileage will increase.

5) Not sure how you got the option pack, I thought it had been discontinued. However never regret this decision, ABS and the air bags are a judicious investment and I would consider them more important than the 2 din music system that came with the car.

Do you have a rear window defogger and 60-40 split of the back seat?

Also if you like driving, then I can guarantee that you have made a good investment. The mileage issue that you are raising would be compensated by the handling, accurate steering and drive-ability of the car. Quality is top notch and will hold up well after years of use (can vouch from my 4 years experience).

I have a Honda Jazz, but always like to drive the Spark in the city. You will be amazed to see the gaps you can squeeze through. Also first and second gear acceleration is excellent, something that is missing in other cars these days (probably a reason for low mileage too).

Can you please tell me what tyres would that be ? A 1-2 kms means 15 kmpl with AC and 18 without AC [clap]
I don't know much about that but I am sure a slight increase can be observed. [;)]
Right now, check tires at least monthly, preferably weekly. Properly inflated tires can reduce fuel consumption by up to 3%. Your tires also lose about 1 PSI per month, and when the tires are cold, their pressure will decrease due to the thermal contraction of the air.

Thread Starter #19
Hi Kikloo, first of all congratulation on the new Spark. My 2 cents on the points that were mentioned in this thread (from my 4 year experience as a Spark owner).

1) AC is really weak, specially in the summers. I asked about this to ASS, and they said that re-mapping the ECU might help. Did not do it as not sure if it would really help. Also getting sun films is no longer an option.
Incidentally this feedback has gone to GM. The latest Spark (see TOI ad 10-6-2012) has powerful AC as well as tinted glass.

2) You are right, mileage is on the lower side. In Kolkata city, I never get more than 13 km/lt (without AC). Compared to that, your figures are good. However I have to drive through densely populated areas which I dont think is the case with you.

3) With the cash less ownership offer; you should not be paying a single penny. Not sure why they charged you in first or second service. They should not be charging for oil, filters, or labor. They would only charge if there has been a damage etc due to an accident. Also the cash less ownership offer period starts from the day of registration, so keep that in mind.

4) Since you have driven only a few hundred kms only, give time to break in the engine. With time the engine will become ultra smooth, super quiet and responsive and mileage will increase.

5) Not sure how you got the option pack, I thought it had been discontinued. However never regret this decision, ABS and the air bags are a judicious investment and I would consider them more important than the 2 din music system that came with the car.

Do you have a rear window defogger and 60-40 split of the back seat?

Also if you like driving, then I can guarantee that you have made a good investment. The mileage issue that you are raising would be compensated by the handling, accurate steering and drive-ability of the car. Quality is top notch and will hold up well after years of use (can vouch from my 4 years experience).

I have a Honda Jazz, but always like to drive the Spark in the city. You will be amazed to see the gaps you can squeeze through. Also first and second gear acceleration is excellent, something that is missing in other cars these days (probably a reason for low mileage too).
Hi,

1. Yes I feel too that AC is very week in the 40+ degrees temp. It simply fails to give me cold air on driver side let alone the passengers on the rear seats.

2. Yes in Chandigarh traffic is not so dense and there are almost no traffic jams but a lot of traffic lights have been put up almost at every km. :(

3. I did'nt took cashless ownership. I think i took discount for it. Don't reckon now though.

4. I have driven now more than 6000 kms. I have'nt noticed any performance improvement at all. The mileage has only decreased. It used to do 250 kms in Rs. 1000 petrol but now it does only 200-210 kms in Rs. 1000 petrol (This is before the price rise of petrol). Now it should be more less I think but I have stopped recording after petrol increase. [roll]

5. Padam Motors in Chandigarh is selling LTO to everyone. They seems to have huge stocks of it.

Yes my spark has defogger and 60-40 splitting back seat.

Yes I like driving i have drive about 250000 kms. in last 10 years. I am also hoping for the best that maybe in 2nd service they do something that would stablize the mileage and performance of the car.

I have bought this car it for city driving only and yes it seems to be doing fine with cuts and cruves. Car is fine, only I have complaint about the mileage. [roll]

I don't know much about that but I am sure a slight increase can be observed. [;)]
Right now, check tires at least monthly, preferably weekly. Properly inflated tires can reduce fuel consumption by up to 3%. Your tires also lose about 1 PSI per month, and when the tires are cold, their pressure will decrease due to the thermal contraction of the air.
Hi,

Yes I get the tier pressure checked etc. 2 times in a month whenever I goto petrol pump. Right now I will not change the tires and let it roll in the stock but when the time comes I will definitely wanna change to something that will increase the mileage.

Thanks.

hah,
if you need good AC / millage and very good driving experiance, just take a test drive of nano.

i know , you will say, its a 1 lac car / not much power / what a 624cc engine can give / picks up fire etc etc.
but just think out of the box. i am not telling you to take nano, but just have a test drive .

you must accept that here in vadodara (gujarat) summer has some more killing instincts then chandigarh. but here @ 48 degree , AC is a chiller and it gives me 23~ avg with AC in city :)
also, it is loosing very very small amount of power due to AC ON. its a best small car till date.

Thread Starter #21
Hi,

Hmm yes you're correct but to some reasons I do not prefer Nano. Also as I have already bought Spark, selling it at this point will incur me losses.

Thanks.

You seem to be doing everything right, hence not sure why the decrease in mileage. Kindly check the engine oil and air filter in the next service.

Has the performance been affected in any way? Does it accelerate as it used to? I had a case issue with the rear brakes in about 1.5 years of ownership (just after the monsoon) which I had replaced free.

Thread Starter #23
Hi,

Performance has been affected in the terms of mileage only. Though when I brake, i feel there's some very low "dug dug dug" sound coming from rear. Dunno what it may be but i'll get it fixed.

Thanks.

If you brake at high speed/sudden brake and get the "dug dug dug" sound, its the ABS kicking in and perfectly normal. You would get a similar feedback on the brake pedal too.

If this happens in low speed, then there might be a problem and needs checking.

Thanks.

Thread Starter #27
Hi Guys,

No offense to any spark Owners out there. Just found this on Facebook and fell off laughing.
Hi,

I think I should do that also. GM is totalling lie when they say that Spark gives mileage of 18 kmpl. Its a myth and a total lie. It does'nt gives more than 17 kmpl in any condition. [frustration]

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

No offense to any spark Owners out there. Just found this on Facebook and fell off laughing.
ah this is my home town registered car and I got my beat from the same dealer. In Kerala they are leading dealer and only three district covered by other dealer Deedi motors. The other dealership German motors owned by Geeyem motors owner and some other person.

I called the number displayed on that car.He told me that ,sold the vehicle one year before and last time chevrolet guys checked milage it scored 6 km per litter.

Top Bottom