Overlanding Indians

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,
This is Satya and I am interested in over-landing. Now, the term is completely new to most of the people but to some, this is the real way to go for an adventure.
Over the years I've traveled to remote places when ever I could with minimal luggage and moderate resources. And the feeling of living on the edge was what drove me to do so.
In india, it's a common tendency to travel with family. In such case one can not actually go overlanding keeping family needs and other factors in mind. More often than not, family members might not share the same enthusiasm for overlanding or let's say wilderness adventure living.
So it's time to look for like minded people who have a deep desire for adventure and overlanding in India, and learn from their experiences and maybe connect and have an adventure together.

Thread Starter #2
I still feel that Indians are very new to Over-landing. What I have observed over the years is that we all want to get away into the wilderness every once in a while but we are never prepared. Most of us are lucky and are luck to be able to get away with our short sprints of pseudo-adventures. If we are owning a four seat car, we will stuff it with 6 people and drive over long distances baring all the inconveniences along the way. One gets really tired and tends to find a hotel as one get really desperate the moment the destination is reached. So what people do is that they plan their trip and make hotel or resort reservations well ahead and then go off for a weekend in the hills. but that's not over-landing or adventure at all.

We in India tend to travel with family and we always end up going to tourist destinations and no to far out places in the wilderness, and in doing so we come across many scenic spots on the way where we make a pit-stop for just a while, have a cup of tea or Maggie and then move on. I don't have anything against that cos most of us dont have the proper gear or knowhow...hell, most of us don't even know how to drive on normal roads, let alone driving in the hills. I mean, how many of us have taken a proper professional driving test like in the UK or US......none. Pay an amount...learn to drive in a week and that's it you got a learners licence. a month later....boom you have your licence.

Over-landing demands that we are very well acquainted with the machines we drive, with the roads we drive on and are very well informed of the climate we will be driving in. Above all, we have to be prepared with the right equipment to travel or lets say "Go on an expedition" . Planning pit-stops and finding camping areas are a very integral part of the journey. Now a days most of the petrol pumps that are well equipped with wash rooms and other basic are allowing campers to halt over night. There are some companies in Bangalore that facilitate camping spaces with security at a very reasonable rice all over India. That's all for now.
Do ask questions.

Top Bottom