Optimus: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD. Long Term Ownership Review

bhvm

Honoured Member
hey,

black smoke at 4500rpm. my normally runs I never exceed 2500.

so just wanted to see if I should get it checked or not.

Magarpatta will be too far off for me. I stay in chinchwad.

Kinshuk
Get EGR cleaned and new air filter. The change interval for air filter @ 40k Is way too long in XUV

XUV red lines at 5000rpm. Why will it not do this at 4500rpm ? Too much diesel being put into the engine.
XUV practically redlines at ~4700 RPM

Thread Starter #408
Hello All,

Optimus completes 70000kms in 5 years 8 months. Total service cost till date is 67000 INR. including the major 60k km service cost which was close to 25000INR (majorly because of replacement parts)

The summary of the ownership till now is below:

1. Average = 18kmpl with AC on highways, 12-13kmpl with ac in city traffic

2. Parts replaced till now apart from regular maintenance:
a. Washer motor once. Have to get it replaced again as the front washer is again not working.
b. passenger side front power window once (under warranty)
c. Front brake pads Twice. once under warranty at around 10000km, second time at 65000km
d. Rear brake pads once. @65000km
e. Battery once.
f. Swing arm bushes
g. rear brake light assembly. an idiot busted it up in ahemdabad
h. some assembly upper long link was changed as one of the bushes on it had a crack.

3. Current issues: Washer motor needs to be replaced, slightly hard power steering, enigne coolant to be checked, EGR valve to be checked as there is slight smoke at higher rpms, air filter to be checked.

4. I am satisfied with the after sales service till now.

5. The vehicle still runs like new except for some slight noise from engine now, but I guess that is to be expected.

6. JK Elanzo tyres at 70k still going strong. no cracks in side walls no valve malfunctions.

7. AC cooling factor has slightly decreased

8. NVH levels slightly elevated than a brand new car. no squeaks inside the cabin.

9. Slight paint peeling issue on the door handles inside the cabin

10. gear knob slight pain removal issue.

Apart from the above points the Vehicle will go strong till at least next 10 year barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Will be giving for the 70k km service soon, any pointers for stuff to look out for during that service will be highly appreciated. will post the pics of the paint condition after that.

Future plans: Set of Hellas (I miss mine a lot, Optimus feels incomplete without them), upgrade all the halogen and HIDs to LED bulbs as and when they conk off.

rest everything is going on strong.

Have plans for a 2500km Rajasthan trip during the coming months, lets see if it gets materialized depends a lot on leaves approved.

69k.JPG

70k.jpg

Happy Driving,
Kinshuk

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Let me congratulate you on the Milestone bro.
My replies in BOLD.

Hello All,

Optimus completes 70000kms in 5 years 8 months. Total service cost till date is 67000 INR. including the major 60k km service cost which was close to 25000INR (majorly because of replacement parts)
Seems cheap. Good one there.
The summary of the ownership till now is below:

1. Average = 18kmpl with AC on highways, 12-13kmpl with ac in city traffic
Are these MID values? Even with careful driving (90 KMPH on expressway constant) I got 16 KMPL. MID values should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

2. Parts replaced till now apart from regular maintenance:
a. Washer motor once. Have to get it replaced again as the front washer is again not working.
Common issue.
b. passenger side front power window once (under warranty)
Driver side for me.
c. Front brake pads Twice. once under warranty at around 10000km, second time at 65000km
d. Rear brake pads once. @65000km
Same as me
e. Battery once.
f. Swing arm bushes
g. rear brake light assembly. an idiot busted it up in ahemdabad
Ahmedabad traffic[anger]
h. some assembly upper long link was changed as one of the bushes on it had a crack.

3. Current issues: Washer motor needs to be replaced, slightly hard power steering, enigne coolant to be checked, EGR valve to be checked as there is slight smoke at higher rpms, air filter to be checked.
Your 80k Service will include coolant change. You can also carry branded coolant flush to clean out the system. Run the car with heater ON and flush added for few minutes and drain old coolant.
4. I am satisfied with the after sales service till now.

5. The vehicle still runs like new except for some slight noise from engine now, but I guess that is to be expected.
The engine on my Beast is same as day 1. Probably EGR cleaning will solve the increased noise for you.
6. JK Elanzo tyres at 70k still going strong. no cracks in side walls no valve malfunctions.
Amazing life. I replaced them at 60k.
7. AC cooling factor has slightly decreased
Get this addressed till warranty is alive! Its very expensive!
8. NVH levels slightly elevated than a brand new car. no squeaks inside the cabin.

9. Slight paint peeling issue on the door handles inside the cabin
Copy that. The chrome like paint has come off at Navigator side.
10. gear knob slight pain removal issue.

Apart from the above points the Vehicle will go strong till at least next 10 year barring any unforeseen circumstances.
God bless! I have the same plans.
Will be giving for the 70k km service soon, any pointers for stuff to look out for during that service will be highly appreciated. will post the pics of the paint condition after that.

Future plans: Set of Hellas (I miss mine a lot, Optimus feels incomplete without them), upgrade all the halogen and HIDs to LED bulbs as and when they conk off.

rest everything is going on strong.
Good luck!

BTW, My new toy-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-blue-elephant-my-safari-4x4-review-mods.html

Last edited:
Thread Starter #410
hey bhvm,

yes those are mid values.

the vehicle is already out of warranty.

as long as the coolant levels are fine and the engine is not overheating the coolant replacement can wait till 80k service?

Kinshuk

bhvm

Honoured Member
hey bhvm,

yes those are mid values.

the vehicle is already out of warranty.

as long as the coolant levels are fine and the engine is not overheating the coolant replacement can wait till 80k service?
Kinshuk
During my Run, MID showed 17.2 and I got 16. There is a nominal offset of 1.5 KMPL in MID. so 18 means you are making about 16.5KMPL. Still a very nice figure!

Coolant change can wait till 80K Kms if you are not having any other issues or coolant consumption. Just check the color of coolant. It should be bright red/Magenta. If its muddy or rusty there is something wrong.

Use the heater function once a while to keep coolant circulation from Heater core behind the dash. Or it rusts and jams up.

Thread Starter #414
Did a little Wash and Wax on the vehicle yesterday.
Was trying out Amway's Car wash and silicon glaze. Must say, they both are good products.
Apart from those 2 used 3M tyre dresser on the tyres.

This is the first time I ever saw a rainbow glaze on the bonnet at certain angles. pretty happy with the silicon glaze from amway. Havent yet tested the water beading effect yet.

have a look.

in the first pic the marked circle was where the rainbow glaze can be seen. not exactly clear because of the camera.

IMG_20181126_152252.jpg

IMG_20181126_152950.jpg

IMG_20181126_153006.jpg

IMG_20181126_153038.jpg

IMG_20181126_153056.jpg

IMG_20181126_153057.jpg

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
That's very good. Goes on to show that your driving style is correct and not very aggressive.
Car is shining just like new. Well maintained. Very nice.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #418
I finally gave in to the temptation of the lights and bought the Hella Rallye 4000, they are all metal weighs around 2.8kgs each and are pencil beams with 100W bulbs. in process of installing them. will post some pics in the evening.

Thread Starter #419
A teaser pic. I still need a small bracket modification to get the beam focused in the correct angle. currently it is pointed towards the road, which is pretty much useless. this model does not have an inbuilt vertical axis adjustment clamp. Any ideas for designs?

Kindly excuse the dust.

IMG_20181226_191646.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #420
A small update after some usage of the lights. The throw is really good, effective visible distance is around 300m in normal lightning conditions, in pitch black I am sure it will be much more. Will try to get some pics over the weekend.

Quite happy with the output. Total damages, 17500 for the lights and 2.5k for the bracket, installation including wiring harness with relays and fuses.

Last edited:

Top Bottom