Optimus: Mahindra XUV500 W8 FWD. Long Term Ownership Review

Thread Starter #378
Mine lasted over 5 years when i replaced it with Amaron. I think the key is stop using the stop-start to increase battery life in XUV.
Mine has been working fine from the past 4.5 years, but due to my negligence the battery was drained completely couple of time earlier and now it has been sitting idle form the past 3 months so I am assuming it will be better to change the battery instead of getting it charged again.

The Start Stop functionality anyways I dont use much as the vehicle runs on AC in city.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
I will check out both Exide and Amaron, will see if I can get some dry cell one, otherwise its Amaron.
Dry cell will not allow you to add distilled water as it evaporates (or gells/Thickens). In hot Indian weather and hot engine bay, this is usually not good. get good old lead-acid type.

Mine lasted over 5 years when i replaced it with Amaron. I think the key is stop using the stop-start to increase battery life in XUV.
I do not even know if Start stop system works in my XUV or how it works. And I am not curious to know if it works at all.[roll]

The Start Stop functionality anyways I dont use much as the vehicle runs on AC in city.
Last month my 2 year old XUV's AC Condenser Coil got replaced in warranty. If it wouldn't be in warranty then it could cost me around 22k.

Since then I have stopped using START/STOP functionality ( micro-hybrid ). I am 99% sure in City traffic this feature is badly affecting AC due to multiple times power off/on.

Tried to get more inputs from service engineers but they were not faced such issue. Anyhow, I have stopped using that functionality.

I do not even know if Start stop system works in my XUV or how it works. And I am not curious to know if it works at all.[roll]
If this feature is ON then it will power off your vehicle after 3 seconds when vehicle is getting idle mode. AC ( only blower ) , lights and rest of electronic stuff works on BATTERY ( which is not really good for battery ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-7O2bHzoJQ will explain you in well.

Last edited by a moderator:

bhvm

Honoured Member
If this feature is ON then it will power off your vehicle after 3 seconds when vehicle is getting idle mode. AC ( only blower ) , lights and rest of electronic stuff works on BATTERY ( which is not really good for battery ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-7O2bHzoJQ will explain you in well.
Thanks bro. I was just joking.
Of course I know how these systems work, hence I am not interested in it.

Thread Starter #382
Hello All,

Got the Optimus fitted with a new Exide battery. I think it costed me around 6k, comes with a 5 year warranty.

Did a Pune - Goa - Pune trip and Optimus performed flawlessly.

Also got the 60000km serivce done over this weekend. Had a couple of issues, like a broken tail lamp, inaccurate warning message for low tyre pressure in one of the tyres, got them rectified.

The total cost of the service was 34000INR.

Out of this the major break up is as follows:

1. 16000 INR for the 60k service.
2. 4000 INR for the broken tail lamp.
3. 10000 INR for brake pad replacement both fron and back
4. 2500 for rubbing and polishing as there were a lot of minor scratches and paint swaps.
5. 2000 for some part of the rear suspension called an upper link bar.

Post service the service manager also told me about some part call a studd in the front suspension which has a slight bend in both the front shock absorbers and cost around 4500INR each, he said they came to know because there were some markings on the inner side of the front tyres. any ideas how I can check it?

Optimus is now gleaming because of the polish, close to showroom condition well apart from the swirl marks, no rattles, no noises inside the cabin, everything working perfectly, still giving an average of close to 18kmpl (MID) on highways without AC and close to 17kmpl (MID) with AC. bumper to bumper city traffic average is close to 13-14 with AC (MID).

I wanted to attacht the bill pictures as it is a 4 page long bill, but the photo size is too big. if anyone wants they can pm me their email id, will mail it to them.

A couple of comments which I got from the service manager there:

1. The car doesnt look like a 2013 model.
2. Tyre life was supposed to be 50000km but my tyres should go another 20-30k kms.
3. Front brake pad life is 25000km which in my case went uptill 50000km and they still have a life of at least a 1000km. 50000km becuase my front brake pads were changed once under warranty at 12000km.
4. Rear brake pad life is around 35000km which in my case went uptill 62000.

Feels good.

happy driving,
Kinshuk

bhvm

Honoured Member
Nice update bro.
How did the tail lamps break?

My rear brake pads lasted 65k which SA said was highest and he appreciated.
Your FE is too good. I never get above 13 even with careful. 11 is the usual number.
Get those studs replaced. It will wear out the tyres in no time.

Pics of shining beast please!

Thread Starter #384
Nice update bro.
How did the tail lamps break?

My rear brake pads lasted 65k which SA said was highest and he appreciated.
Your FE is too good. I never get above 13 even with careful. 11 is the usual number.
Get those studs replaced. It will wear out the tyres in no time.

Pics of shining beast please!
tail lamp broke because of the stupid Ahemdabad traffic. no pics as of now.

Thread Starter #387
Hello All,

Apologies for the delay in updates.

Nothing much to report.

We had a slight glitch where the vehicle was spewing hot white smoke after a 3 hours hard run on the highway, which went away after 10-15 minutes and never came back. Had also taken the vehicle to the SVC after that to get it checked out, but they also didnt find anything. Have completed around 1000kms after that without any issues.

Recently I got to witness the under carriage of the vehicle while getting the oil changed at a shell fuel station. Here are some pics. To my aamzaement there wasnt a single dink or scratch there. So happy about it.

Got it refilled with Shell fully synth 5W40, took in 6 liters I think. They say it should be good enough for the next 15000km. Lets see.

The engine definitely felt much smoother after that.

I do think that XUV is missing some struts in the under carriage doesnt look much strong from underneath. Have a look.

regards,
Kinshuk

left steering.JPG

missing something.JPG

towing hook.JPG

undercarriage 2.JPG

undercarriage.JPG

undercarriage3.JPG

Thread Starter #388
Hello all,

One of the high beam bulbs fused out. look8jg for upgrading it....

Any suggestions? looking for regular yellow coloured ones....

Should I upgrade to 100W? would it have effects on the reflectors?

Kinshuk

bhvm

Honoured Member
Better not got for 100w. Various reasons.
The right upgrade will be getting 4300k LED bulb from aliexpress. Few variants have started popping up.
Otherwise stick to philips long life.

Thread Starter #390
I was thinking of putting in the LED but the colour in high beam will be pretty much ineffective during monsoons and foggy time.

i was thinking of osram night breaker or philips crystal vision.

Top Bottom