Optimal Tyre Pressure For Better Mileage?

Thread Starter #1
I am getting very low mileage on my Nexon. The car is giving 12Km/L on highways. Car tyre pressure is at 30 Psi. Will there be any problem if I increase it to 34-35 Psi?

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
I am getting very low mileage on my Nexon. The car is giving 12Km/L on highways. Car tyre pressure is at 30 Psi. Will there be any problem if I increase it to 34-35 Psi?
1) Car will become more bouncy.
2) Tyre life will be decreased.
3) Road grip of tyres will decrease.Driving Dynamics is changed(worsened).

Thread Starter #3
At 30Psi front tyres look under inflated. One of my friends drives a duster with same tyre configuration as my nexon uses 33psi for front and 34 for rear. Is it safe? I am a doctor with no knowledge on cars [cry]

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
At 30Psi front tyres look under inflated. One of my friends drives a duster with same tyre configuration as my nexon uses 33psi for front and 34 for rear. Is it safe? I am a doctor with no knowledge on cars [cry]
I am a doctor too,but with little bit knowledge about cars. [;)] So Dont worry,10% variation in air pressure wont harm the car. 33 psi is alright,and within safe limit.
But still its always safer to maintain manufacturer's recommendation.

Hi guys,
Recently I checked tyre pressure, and I see all tyres had 35 psi (looks like A.S.S had made it 35 as it was recently serviced). Also many a times I see when I ask to check pressure anywhere they make it 35. This time I checked manufacturers recommendation (its fluidic Verna), it was 32 for all tyres and so I told them to make it 32.

My question is did I do right thing by reducing it to 32? Or should I keep it 35 ?

What is the optimum tyre pressure for a sedan in normal city driving? Do we need to change it according to the weather conditions?
Is Nitrogen really good for tyres as advertised? I am thinking to get a tyre inflator from a good brand. Are they worth it? thank you.

@Nairrk @Suryaputhra

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Required tyre pressure always written in the car (you can see the sticker on opening the front door) itself as well as in the manual. You fill up the air accordingly. I don't think they recommend to change air pressure depending on weather conditions. Nitrogen is not recommended by all car manufacturers.

I have an air inflator which proves useful to check the tyre pressure and top up when necessary. I use same inflator for my Scooter also.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
1) What is the optimum tyre pressure for a sedan in normal city driving?
2) Do we need to change it according to the weather conditions?
3) Is Nitrogen really good for tyres as advertised?
4) I am thinking to get a tyre inflator from a good brand. Are they worth it? thank you.
I have numbered your queries for a better answer.
1) There is no uniform pressure figure suited for all sedans.Varies from car to car. Its mentioned on the B-pillar base of your car.
2) Pressure maintained should be same!! May have to fill more in cold and maybe just the opposite in summers.
3) No,not at all.Just marketing.
4) Michelin and coido are good.Yes they are worth it,when you need to top up and especially when you are stranded in a nowhere land with 2 tyres punctured on the highway.

Top Bottom