On the Road in Search of Sound Pressure Level (Decibles)

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

As some of you who have gone through my threads on my Dzire Tour modded into Dzire VDi would know that i have an absolute SQ ICE setup in my car now. Things have changed now and my priorities have shifted from SQ to SPL. Many would say for SPL you first need huge subwoofers and monoblock amplifiers. But for me my upgrades from SQ to SPL starts with mid ranges woofers and tweeters first.

I have shortlisted couple of mid range woofers. I am planning 6.5" speakers for front and 8" speakers for rear

1) Crescendo Audio PWX Mid range woofers:-

Crescendo Audio PWX6.5" -

The PWX6 is our extremely popular pro audio inspired 6.5" midwoofer. Designed to sound extremely clear even when cranked to higher volume and SPL.
Lightwieght carbon/fiberglass composite cone, mated to a kapton former and edgewound copper 1.5" coil.
As loud as many pro audio midwoofers out there, yet the PWX 6.5 excels most of them in terms of clarity and sound quality.
More midbass potential than your typical pro audio midwoofer

Rated 150w RMS
Usable Freq response: 83-5600hz @ 150w

PWX 6.5" mid range - Crescendo Audio | Online Store

Crescendo Audio PWX8" -

Rated 200w RMS
2" Voice Coil
Usable Freq response 70-5100hz
Mounting Depth: 3 11/16"

PWX 8" mid range - Crescendo Audio | Online Store

2) Sundown Audio NeoPro Mid range woofers:-

Sundown Audio NeoPro V2 - RMS 100w (for both 6.5" and 8")

The NeoPro V2 line is Sundown Audio's solution to the weak mid-bass produced by "Pro Sound" style speakers in a car door. The problem is most Pro style speakers are designed for ported boxes... but the NeoPro line was specifically engineered for car audio usage! The NeoPro speakers are well known for their smooth sound as well so they aren't just for getting loud.

NeoPro V2 Series

I am planning to mate these SPL grade woofers to supertweeters from Crescendo audio.

Crescendo Audio FT1-SE -

Spun and CNC aluminum construction, chambered Neodymium motor with integrated heatsink fins cast and milled into the motor housing.
Ultra-light Titanium Diaphragm for minimal breakup at extremely high SPL is driven by a 90% Aluminum/10% copper CAW voice coil.
Exponential horn is controlled and designed for full response along a 44 ° dispersion pattern.
The Faceplate, Mounting Flange and Horn assembly is sculpted for minimal acoustic diffraction and with aesthetics in mind.
Usable frequency response: 2800hz-28khz
Ideal highpass crossover point for most people: 3400-5000hz
Power rating: 80watts RMS each

FT1 & FT1-SE

I am planning to import these one by one to lower customs duty and shipping charges.

I am planning to run them with out crossovers. How should i do the wiring? I have two 4 channel amplifiers - Infinity Kappa 4 which i plan to use for front and rear mid range woofers and DD Audio C4C for front and rear tweeters. Could someone please explain to me how to wire them directly to the amplifiers with out using crossovers please. Also does anyone have a diagram on how to do the wiring? If yes can you please post it here?

Regards,
Sankar

Last edited:
Can't say about the products you shortlisted, as I have never heard any review about them.

Now coming to the wiring, seems you wanna go active installation. Let me warn you it's a costly and risky affair. You could end up blowing your expensive speakers or sub if not tuned accordingly. If you are so keen not to install X-overs simply install a processor and I strictly advice you to get it tuned from a pro tuner.

Thread Starter #4
Can't say about the products you shortlisted, as I have never heard any review about them.

Now coming to the wiring, seems you wanna go active installation. Let me warn you it's a costly and risky affair. You could end up blowing your expensive speakers or sub if not tuned accordingly. If you are so keen not to install X-overs simply install a processor and I strictly advice you to get it tuned from a pro tuner.
Chances of blowing up are slim as the mid range woofers i am planning now are 8" drivers for front if possible (If not back to 6.5") which is 200w rms and 10" drivers for rear which is 300w rms. I am planning to drive them using my amplifier Infinity Kappa 4 which is 125w X 4 at 4ohm. I am planning to wire the speakers at 2ohm impedance and my amp output will be 150w X 4 at 2ohm which is still very low compared to mid range ratings which is 200-300w RMS per woofer.

For tweeters i am plnning to drive them using my DD Audio C4C which will be a good match as DD amp outputs 65w X 4 at 4ohm while the Crescendo Audio FT1-SE supertweeters has 80w RMS per tweeters.

In such a combo chances of woofers and tweeters blowing up due to wrong gain setting will be low right?

Regards,
Sankar

I am talking about X-over settings, if they are not proper then it may lead to burned coil which is not covered under warranty. It doesn't depend on the amount of power fed to the tweeter/sub/midbass/midrange.

Thread Starter #6
I am talking about X-over settings, if they are not proper then it may lead to burned coil which is not covered under warranty. It doesn't depend on the amount of power fed to the tweeter/sub/midbass/midrange.
Really need to do a lot of research and need an experienced tuner for this. Do you know any guys in Bangalore or Chennai for the job?

Regards,
Sankar

2) Sundown Audio NeoPro Mid range woofers:-

Sundown Audio NeoPro V2 - RMS 100w (for both 6.5" and 8")

The NeoPro V2 line is Sundown Audio's solution to the weak mid-bass produced by "Pro Sound" style speakers in a car door. The problem is most Pro style speakers are designed for ported boxes... but the NeoPro line was specifically engineered for car audio usage! The NeoPro speakers are well known for their smooth sound as well so they aren't just for getting loud.

NeoPro V2 Series

I am planning to run them with out crossovers. How should i do the wiring? I have two 4 channel amplifiers - Infinity Kappa 4 which i plan to use for front and rear mid range woofers and DD Audio C4C for front and rear tweeters. Could someone please explain to me how to wire them directly to the amplifiers with out using crossovers please. Also does anyone have a diagram on how to do the wiring? If yes can you please post it here?

Regards,
Sankar
Hello Sankar,

I would like to make a little correction here. Sundown Audio Neo pro V2 6.5" is rated @180W RMS and Neo Pro V2 8" is rated @ 200 W RMS. [;)]

Furthermore if you plan to go active with midranges on an infinity kappa 4 utilizing all four channels for midbass then you need not wire them @ 2 ohms.. You can simply take the 4 ohms mids and wire them normally. Now regarding running them active the only thing you need to do is set gains on the amplifier and set the High pass filter or HPF directly from the amplifier for both front stage and rear fills.

if you take the crescendo Mids i would recommend HPF to be arnd 125-140 Hz and if you take Sundown Mids i would recommend HPF at 80-100 Hz as Sundown mids excel in low frequency Midbass response.

Now you need to be really careful regarding running tweeters active as one mistake and you will fry the. For running tweeters active you have following options

1. Either buy crossovers for tweeters like the ones crescendo has on their website
2. Take a processor wherein you can set the High pass for tweeter but this option can be expensive
3. Your amplifier should have an extensive crossover network which you can set so as the HPF for tweeters is not less than 4.5Khz @12Db Slope.

Hope this helps !!

Thread Starter #8
Hello Sankar,

I would like to make a little correction here. Sundown Audio Neo pro V2 6.5" is rated @180W RMS and Neo Pro V2 8" is rated @ 200 W RMS.

Furthermore if you plan to go active with midranges on an infinity kappa 4 utilizing all four channels for midbass then you need not wire them @ 2 ohms.. You can simply take the 4 ohms mids and wire them normally. Now regarding running them active the only thing you need to do is set gains on the amplifier and set the High pass filter or HPF directly from the amplifier for both front stage and rear fills.

if you take the crescendo Mids i would recommend HPF to be arnd 125-140 Hz and if you take Sundown Mids i would recommend HPF at 80-100 Hz as Sundown mids excel in low frequency Midbass response.

Now you need to be really careful regarding running tweeters active as one mistake and you will fry the. For running tweeters active you have following options

1. Either buy crossovers for tweeters like the ones crescendo has on their website
2. Take a processor wherein you can set the High pass for tweeter but this option can be expensive
3. Your amplifier should have an extensive crossover network which you can set so as the HPF for tweeters is not less than 4.5Khz @12Db Slope.

Hope this helps !!
Regarding wiring I had had quite a long discussion in a facebook group which deals with Car Audio queries. Got about 100 comments regarding my doubts on wiring them.

I will start playing around 90 to 100 for the mids and 3200-3500 for tweets. Also has conformed that DD Audio can go up till 5k which will be used for tweeters

Regarding the mids i have changed my mind. I have confirmed with my installer and front speakers have been changed from 6.5" mids to 8" mids. Rear 8" mids has been changed to 10". Now that's the plan front 8" mids and rear 10" mids[:D]

Regarding which mids to go for - Crescendo mids have only one advantage - They are dead cheap. Have only come across couple of reviews but users were impressed by them.

Sundown Neo Pro V2 - Known performer in SPL circles. Well known brand and quite a lot of good reviews about them. But a bit pricy.

Another option is FAITAL PRO 8FE200 - 8" mid bass and FAITAL PRO 10FE200 - 10" . My friends in US speaks quite highly of these speakers. They used the word spectacular when describing these mids. Have also send me videos of there rides. Seemed spectacular and they were not bragging.

Another very costly option:-

FAITAL PRO 8PR200 - 8" MID-BASS SPEAKER - They look like a 8" subwoofer and doesn't look like a speaker IMHOand there 10" counterparts FAITAL PRO 10FH500 - 10" HIGH POWER SPEAKER. Both these are quite heavy bass makes. They have some awesome reviews in internet. But will i be able to mount them in my puny Dzire?[frustration]

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #9
Hi Guys,

Have almost finalized a deal for Sundown Audio NS-1 V.2 and Meshman 240Amphere alternator. It's one of the most powerful monoblock amplifiers in the world and i will be wiring it down to 2ohm load to power 2 1500w SPL subwoofers. In 2ohm NS-1 V2 should make around 4000-4500w RMS at 12v supply.

Regards,
Sankar

Hi Guys,

Have almost finalized a deal for Sundown Audio NS-1 V.2 and Meshman 240Amphere alternator. It's one of the most powerful monoblock amplifiers in the world and i will be wiring it down to 2ohm load to power 2 1500w SPL subwoofers. In 2ohm NS-1 V2 should make around 4000-4500w RMS at 12v supply.

Regards,
Sankar
I strongly recommend using crossover to get best out of your tweeters.
You can drive your midranges direct from the amp by seting up the built in crossover to HPF.
Note please do the wiring yourself. Most of the installers in the market don’t know what they are doing.
This pro speakers require good speaker wires. To my taste I prefer thick speaker cables used for home theaters.
Where are you mounting your mono amps?
According to your setup. You are planning 4 amps. So careful! About your battery.
I would like to ask you some thing. Do you really enjoy SPL after listening to SQ?
It is no? in my case.
And my final advise! your ears are much thinner than your speaker papers so don’t pump them to loud.

Thread Starter #11
I strongly recommend using crossover to get best out of your tweeters.
You can drive your midranges direct from the amp by seting up the built in crossover to HPF.
Note please do the wiring yourself. Most of the installers in the market don’t know what they are doing.
This pro speakers require good speaker wires. To my taste I prefer thick speaker cables used for home theaters.
Where are you mounting your mono amps?
According to your setup. You are planning 4 amps. So careful! About your battery.
I would like to ask you some thing. Do you really enjoy SPL after listening to SQ?
It is no? in my case.
And my final advise! your ears are much thinner than your speaker papers so don’t pump them to loud.
Since i have decided on NS-1 monoblock i don't have budget for replacing the mids and tweets. So as of now i am not planning to go active. As of now My 2 pair of components will be powered by Kappa 4 and 2 SPL subwoofers to be powered by NS-1 monoblock. NS-1 V2 alone has a MRP of 2.65Lakhs.

Regarding the battery - NS-1 V2amplifier outputs 2500w at 4ohm, 4000w at 2ohm and 7000w at 1ohm. Clamping tests have shown that NS-1 V2can output 14,000w at 0.25ohm at 15v supply. Such a powerful amplifier can never be run in stock electricals even at 4ohm. So i have decided to upgrade the alternator to 240amphere and also use 5 80mah Amaron batteries to power my system. I will be wiring my system at 2ohm. With a powerful alternator and atleast 13-14v constant supply NS-1 V2 should produce around 5000w of power for by subs.

Regards,
Sankar

Since i have decided on NS-1 monoblock i don't have budget for replacing the mids and tweets. So as of now i am not planning to go active. As of now My 2 pair of components will be powered by Kappa 4 and 2 SPL subwoofers to be powered by NS-1 monoblock. NS-1 V2 alone has a MRP of 2.65Lakhs.

Regarding the battery - NS-1 V2amplifier outputs 2500w at 4ohm, 4000w at 2ohm and 7000w at 1ohm. Clamping tests have shown that NS-1 V2can output 14,000w at 0.25ohm at 15v supply. Such a powerful amplifier can never be run in stock electricals even at 4ohm. So i have decided to upgrade the alternator to 240amphere and also use 5 80mah Amaron batteries to power my system. I will be wiring my system at 2ohm. With a powerful alternator and atleast 13-14v constant supply NS-1 V2 should produce around 5000w of power for by subs.

Regards,
Sankar
5 80MAH batteries?
You mean 5 battery sets? Where will you mount them!
At this movement I can only say all the best.
Please keep updating your thread. And also upload some photos.

Thread Starter #14
5 80MAH batteries?
You mean 5 battery sets? Where will you mount them!
At this movement I can only say all the best.
Please keep updating your thread. And also upload some photos.
Yes you heard me right 5 batteries mounted in boot. How will i run a 10,000w RMS monoblock without extra batteries[:D]

Regards,
Sankar

Top Bottom