OMG! 3rd RX at Home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S (Restoration Completed)

Thread Starter #1
Someone said '2' is not a lucky number, so got home my 3rd Yamaha RX [:D]

Well, here are my other RX restoration threads
RX135
RXG

I never wanted any more bikes, but a friend of mine had this RX135 lying at his garage unused for almost 1.5 years for 2 reasons.
- Documents got expired in early 2013
- Another bike & car are already a part of his garage

When he decided to sell this machine, fortunately I'm the 1st person came in his mind.

I hope everyone could imagine what should have happened next.

Details:
- 1998 Yamaha RX135 4s
- Black Color
- 2nd owner
- 78k+ on odo (should be genuine)

Bike Condition
- Not sure about the current piston size.
- Engine is running smooth
- Clutch lost it's life
- All electricals working fine except brake light
- Battery dead
- Front Tire (MRF Zapper 80/100 18) left with more than 70% life
- Rear Tire needs immediate attention
- Frame : I lost my hope after removing the seat. It's heavily rusted (decided to get a brand new frame, if my luck works out)

More details and restoration will follow soon

Cheers!

IMG_5455.JPG

Re: OMG! 3rd RX at home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S

Mr. Boss, try if you can change your profile name to RX.Boss or Yamaha.Boss![;)]
Congrats for your new old RX! Waiting for your as usual awesome restoration thread!!!
For how much did you buy it?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: OMG! 3rd RX at home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S

Mr. Boss, try if you can change your profile name to RX.Boss or Yamaha.Boss![;)]
Congrats for your new old RX! Waiting for your as usual awesome restoration thread!!!
For how much did you buy it?
Thanks for the kind words.
Regarding the price I will keep my mouth shut since I haven't paid for it as of now. We are yet to arrive at a reasonable deal.

Re: OMG! 3rd RX at Home - 1998 Yamaha RX135 4S

Sir,IMHO,I feel you can go for the RX 135 5 Speed version than this.All the 2 you own are 4 speed so another 4 speed may get you bored.Or alltogether,If you don't mind,Get a Shogun and start smoking all the RXs.As your Name Suggest Mr.Boss,The Boss will be the Best !! I have seen good shoguns going for Rs.20-30K in chennai.Here is a Link for you Sir

Shogun bike1999 - Chennai - Motorcycles - Scooters

Price is Rs.21,500.IMHO,I feel this will be more economical.She looks quite good.I can help you with Spare parts.

Or this RX 135 5 Speed

http://chennai.olx.in/rx-135-5-speed-iid-713391961

Price is Rs.24,000.

I am very sorry If i Hurt you sir.Thank you

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Sir,IMHO,I feel you can go for the RX 135 5 Speed version than this.All the 2 you own are 4 speed so another 4 speed may get you bored.Or alltogether,If you don't mind,Get a Shogun and start smoking all the RXs.As your Name Suggest Mr.Boss,The Boss will be the Best !!
Thank you.

RX 5s is always there in my radar, but not as a complete bike. Looking for a 5s conversion kit to transform my 1st RX135 4s to 5s. Will do it in near future.

Shogun for sure will be a part of my garage. Waiting for that special day to arrive.

Thank you.

RX 5s is always there in my radar, but not as a complete bike. Looking for a 5s conversion kit to transform my 1st RX135 4s to 5s. Will do it in near future.

Shogun for sure will be a part of my garage. Waiting for that special day to arrive.
Yes sir,That would be a great Idea.Wishing you a Trouble-free Succesful Restoration of your 3rd RX.I am happy to hear a Shogun will be at your Grage ! Thank you

Thread Starter #7

Coming to the most important part of this thread,
What should I do with this bike?

To be frank, I got this bike without any specific plan. Don't kick me for this, people normally plan something and execute it. But I'm starting from the half way, get the bike, plan and then execute.

Some plans that are running in my mind,
1) Convert this bike to RX100
Couldn't get an RX100, and the wish remains a wish. Why not get it done?
- My mechanic has RX100 bore (0.25 OS) which he is ready to offer me
- I should get a head, piston, connecting rod, crank assy, carburetor, etc
- Cosmetics part, I can transfer from my RXG (thats running with RX100 theme)

2) Convert my RXG to RX135 with parts from this bike
- Started facing jerking issue in my RXG recently

3) Run this bike as it is (with some upgrades and minor repairs) and do performance upgrade when I get time / need / Vitamin-M

Coming to the most important part of this thread,
What should I do with this bike?

To be frank, I got this bike without any specific plan. Don't kick me for this, people normally plan something and execute it. But I'm starting from the half way, get the bike, plan and then execute.

Some plans that are running in my mind,
1) Convert this bike to RX100
Couldn't get an RX100, and the wish remains a wish. Why not get it done?
- My mechanic has RX100 bore (0.25 OS) which he is ready to offer me
- I should get a head, piston, connecting rod, crank assy, carburetor, etc
- Cosmetics part, I can transfer from my RXG (thats running with RX100 theme)

2) Convert my RXG to RX135 with parts from this bike
- Started facing jerking issue in my RXG recently

3) Run this bike as it is (with some upgrades and minor repairs) and do performance upgrade when I get time / need / Vitamin-M
Mr.Boss,Can you please post some more Pictures of your new RX ? I feel the 3rd option will be the Best Sir-Mod her with K&N Air Filter,Carb Upjetting,Disc Brake and Exhaust with Expansion Chamber,CDI Ignition Kit and tune her up and also don't forget to mod her with 5 Speed kit.Thank you

Thread Starter #9

Mr.Boss,Can you please post some more Pictures of your new RX ? I feel the 3rd option will be the Best Sir-Mod her with K&N Air Filter,Carb Upjetting,Disc Brake and Exhaust with Expansion Chamber,CDI Ignition Kit and tune her up and also don't forget to mod her with 5 Speed kit.Thank you
Bharath, if you could recall all the terms that you spilled here (Upjetting / Expansion chamber / CDI) were something that I explained you through PM. And this is where we end up with a series of discussion in this thread where I don't want a suggestion that is an outcome of internet surfing / read in books. Please understand what ever you said in this post doesn't add any value. I appreciate your enthusiasm towards automobile in this age, but...

FYI,
1) all the RX series bikes came with CDI.
2) After market filter + expansion chamber alone will do no big magic, you have a lot other modifications to be done along with that to get the desired performance upgrade.

OK Sir,No worries.But Im sorry maybe 100 people here own an RX with Experience including you.If you want Answers from them,You may have to wait a long time.I never knew RX Already came with a CDI.For the 2nd Question,Can you teach me What all has to be done to increase the performance with these 2 Mods ? A Bigger carburetor ? Engine overbore ? .etc. There are the maximum i could think of ! Thank you

Thread Starter #11

I never wanted immediate answers, moreover I don't want an answer, all that I expect is a solution ("I don't know" is also an answer which I'm not expecting) I'm happy to wait for a valuable suggestion (be it days, weeks, months or years)

When you don't know something, it's better to wait for others turn to understand.

I never wanted immediate answers, moreover I don't want an answer, all that I expect is a solution ("I don't know" is also an answer which I'm not expecting) I'm happy to wait for a valuable suggestion (be it days, weeks, months or years)

When you don't know something, it's better to wait for others turn to understand.
OK Sure Sir,Thank you.But please inform me,Iff you need help regarding Spare parts.I am always here to help.I humbly request you to add some more pictures of the Bike so that Experienced guys will have a better Idea of the Bike's Condition and How many KNs it has Run.Thank you

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13

please inform me,Iff you need help regarding Spare parts.
Thanks for extending support. Will let you know if I couldn't find any spares.

add some more pictures of the Bike so that Experienced guys will have a better Idea of the Bike's Condition
Sure, will add more snaps. But that will help in understanding the cosmetics condition only which isn't my requirement.

How many KNs it has Run.
I hope its 'km'. If so, already mentioned in initial post

Thanks for extending support. Will let you know if I couldn't find any spares.

Sure, will add more snaps. But that will help in understanding the cosmetics condition only which isn't my requirement.

I hope its 'km'. If so, already mentioned in initial post
Yes Mr.Boss,My PC is messed up ! Many Keyboard commands do something other than that.Thank you

@Mr.Boss
I will suggest you to convert this bike to RX100.
It will end up your RX 'Classic' Collection. If you want to end up entire RX Collection, then buy another RX, another RX would be the RX-Z.

P.S. I am only 14 and I dont have experience in working/restoring/repairing any RX but saw my uncle's RX100 getting restored and through that mechanic, I got a bit of knowledge about RX. You are always the BOSS of RX. I am not even a dust in front of you when it comes to 2strokes esp. RX series.

Top Bottom