Oil Leak from Turbo : Accent CRDi

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I own a hyundai accent crdi (2005). I did a routine precautionary under body check in my car and found there is little oil leaking near the turbo. Took the car to A.S.S and asked the service engineer to check. He says the turbo seal has gone and we have to replace it along with the bearing. It will cost 12k and they have to send the turbo to bosch for doing this. There is absolutely no turbo lag and the car performs fine. No noticeable smoke from the exhaust. Have anyone faced this or having any recommedations?

Thanks
Sai

It would help if you tell us how many km your car has done,anyways your car is 6 years old so i am guessing its possible things can go wrong

Thread Starter #4
My car has done 1,93,000 approx so far. No drop in FE, no visible smoke from the exhaust and no turbo lag. There are no other issues apart from this minor leak. But i am curious to know why it should undergo a 12000 buck repair to fix the leak from the seal! Has anyone faced this?

@Prads : Though the car is 6 years old, i have taken good care of it. Regular maintenance and timely change of worn out parts has retained its original charm and power so far.

Last edited:
Well your car has clocked alot that 3 cylinder has done well,as for the restoration of the turbo its quite a precision job(air inside turbo can reach upto Mach1) & as for 12000 rupee charge considering some part replacements & being sent to Bosch you can just say these guys are not into charity & its a business,but let me give you an example some factory music systems when they got security locked would be charged 8000 rupees as the unit would be sent to & fro.
Just ask them if they will give you guarantees on the work done,so you wont have to worry about it happening again

I do remember one swift diesel having some problems with the turbo at 2,30,000 km & some work was done on it

Last edited:
Turbocharger seals sometimes leak and there is direct relation with the number of kms a car may have done except for a scheduled overhaul at the specified interval. The leak may have happened due to high temperature, vibration factors etc.

Since the T/C runs at a very high RPM, it needs to be balanced accurately on the bearings and hence the high charges. So you have to take the decision whether it is to be done now or later as in any case the leak will have to be stopped since if the leak increases the performance shall decrease and also due to the fact that oil falling on exhaust manifold may cause other problems if there is any combustible stuff nearby. (These are general comments as I do not know the exact location of the leak.)

Thread Starter #7
I agree the aging factor and wear and tear due to high mileage. I read somewhere that one of the possible reasons for turbo seal leakage is due to overfilling of engine oil. When checked the last service bill, i was charged for 5.1ltr of engine oil. Any thoughts on this?

can this be due to the factor that the A.S.S overfilled engine oil creating more pressure in turbo?

Unfortunately i am not able to find the previous bills and not able to verify how many ltrs were used earlier.

@Prads & Biddu : The service guy told me that changing the seal would fix the leak but they will change it along with the bearing. Why should we change the bearing when the turbo is working completely fine ?!

I think if the T/C is lubricated from the sump oil then overfilling should not have any effect on the T/C since the LO pump will be delivering the needed oil. The excess level of sump oil will not make a difference. However if the bearings are lubricated by a separate Oil chamber dedicated for the T/C bearings then extra level could create problems but then the Oil qty shall not be 5.1 Ltrs. Again please remember that the Oil level in the Engine must always be between the top and the lower notch on the dipstick.

As for the oil seal leak, if the T/C has to be opened fully to get to the seal then it is always better to change the seal. It all depends on the location of the bearings in the housing, the housing design etc. It may be possible to save the bearings by being careful and in fact some of the bearings can be refurbished and used again in other T/C. Again as I said, it all depends on a lot of things. In my opinion, it is better to have the bearings changed if your car has already done near 200,000 Kms so that you don't have to do the same job (o'haul of T/C) to change the bearings if they fail in the near future.

Bro they say "spoil the ship for happerth of tar".Please get the oil seals fixed asap from ass.Turbo is a very intricate part with the rpm as high as 0ne lakh at idle.Turbo going kaput can set u back by 05 times the amount quoted for oil seals.

Top Bottom