Official: Tata To Assemble Jaguar & Land Rover Models in India

Thread Starter #1

AMG

Suspended
Tata Motors will assemble Land Rover's luxury sports utility vehicle ( SUV) Freelander in India, hoping to cash in on the lower tax benefits. India's largest automobile company plans to produce 2000 units of Freelander every year at its Chikhli plant near Pune once owned by Mercedes-Benz.

The company will assemble completely knocked down units imported from Jaguar and Land Rover (JLR) in the UK. "There is immense potential in the market and after selling JLR in India for more than a year, we have decided to assemble our cars here. The local assembly will start later this year, where we will produce all available variant of the Freelander," said Tata Motors MD and CEO Carl Peter Foster. The recent Budget has made changes in the definition of completely-knocked down (CKD) kits, upsetting the plans of foreign car-makers.

Source: Economic Times

350Z

Core Team
Re: OFFICIAL: Tata to Assemble Freelander in India

It’s the least that I expect after Tata has acquired JLR. We should expect a much competitive pricing once this happens. Let’s wait and watch.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Big move by Tatas. I am actually from Jamshedpur. Though due to business purposes i am on the road most of the time.But for the 3rd March celebrations i was here. Founders day. J.N.Tata. Sir Ratan Tata announced this here. He said the first 3 will be going to Jamshedpur buyers. So thats a plus for us.:) BTW, he also announced 2 bridges and parks for out town.

Thread Starter #4

AMG

Suspended

Big move by Tatas. I am actually from Jamshedpur. Though due to business purposes i am on the road most of the time.But for the 3rd March celebrations i was here. Founders day. J.N.Tata. Sir Ratan Tata announced this here. He said the first 3 will be going to Jamshedpur buyers. So thats a plus for us.:) BTW, he also announced 2 bridges and parks for out town.
Couldnt get you.[confused]

I knew there would be some problems regarding the ambigous nature of my post. Sorry for that. Actually my exams have just been over now. So in excitement i did not elaborate. So here it is. I am from Jamshedpur which is also known as Tatanagar. This was where the steel plant of Tata's was set up in 1903 on the 3rd of March by J.N.Tata. So every year this day is celebrated as the founders day. The town houses all the HQ of the Tata Steel and Tata Motors. So here on 3rd March, 2011, Mr. Ratan Tata announced that the first three Freelanders assembled in India will be sold to buyers in Jamshedpur. Hope this clears all doubts.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

AMG

Suspended
Re: Official: Tata to Assemble Freelander in India

Fort quite a few days, the news of the Land Rover Freelander’s assembly having already been started in India has been doing the rounds. On contacting the official guys at Tata Motors corp comm, we were told that the assembly is sure to happen soon, but has not started yet.
Tata Motors, the owners at Jaguar and Land Rover, plan to start the assembly of the Land Rover Freelander by the end of May. The company will utilize the erstwhile Mercedes-Benz assembly line in Pune for the purpose. The company also plans to assemble more models from the Land Rover international lineup at the facility. The possibility of the assembly of Jaguar cars at the facility at a later point in time cannot be denied either.
Source: Motoroids

One questions:

1: why would Merc let LR assemble Freelander in their plant?

Re: Official: Tata to Assemble Freelander in India

Source: Motoroids

One questions:

1: why would Merc let LR assemble Freelander in their plant?
Tata Motors had given a part of land Mercedes-Benz India for their assembly line which they returned a few years back, so Tata Motors may now use it for assembling Freelander.

Jaguar Land Rover Begins Market Feasibility Study in India

Just months after finalising its joint venture with Chinese auto major Chery Automobile, Tata Motors-owned Jaguar Land Rover has begun a feasibility study to manufacture its vehicles in India. ET learns that JLR is considering setting up a plant either in Pune (Maharashtra) or Sanand (Gujarat) to produce the next generation Defender. The factory is also likely to house an engine plant.

This site will be a separate facility from the existing assembly plant that JLR has at Chikhale near Pune, where it currently assembles Freelander SUV. It is same premises that were earlier used by Mercedes Benz. The outcome of the feasibility study is expected by the second half of 2012. People close to the company say, the study is "at a very initial stage". However, if the result is positive, the plant is likely to come up by the middle of 2015. Three people close to the development told ET the plant is likely to have a capacity of 30,000 to 40,000 units per annum. "JLR is very keen to set up a base. Different teams of the project L660 (the next generation Defender) have visited India several times. They are keen to use this as an export hub with almost 60-80 per cent (of the output) to be shipped to overseas market," said one of the people ET spoke to.

To a detailed email query to JLR, the spokesperson replied: "We are now in a 'closed' period ahead of the Tata Motors earnings announcement on the May 29. I, therefore, cannot comment on your points." The next generation Defender is likely to be powered by I4D (inline turbocharged 4 cylinders) 2-litre diesel engine codenamed AJ200 that is likely to deliver 170-250 of horse power. This engine is also likely to be manufactured at the proposed engine plant, which JLR has announced in the past. Another person close to the development said the thought process within the company is to have an engine plant that will have a capacity to manufacture 50,000 units per annum, with a bulk of the vehicles manufactured in India being earmarked for exports.

India, being home to its owners, could well be JLR's third manufacturing base after the UK and China. The company is also exploring South America (Brazil) for a base. VG Ramakrishnan, senior director, automotive practice, Frost & Sullivan, say it is not a surprise. It is a natural progression for JLR to move in that direction with its parent Tata Motors having a strong base in India. "Demand is growing in the emerging markets and it makes sense for even premium carmakers to look at India as a base. They can definitely leverage from Tata Motors' strength in the country, but the challenge will lie in getting the vendor base to the quality standards of the UK and international markets, for which it will have to invest money," said Ramakrishnan.
Source: Jaguar Land Rover begins market feasibility study in India - The Economic Times

Jaguar begins ckd assembly of the xf 3.0 turbo diesel sedan; bookings open

Tata Motors owned British luxury and sportscar brand Jaguar has begun assembly of the XF sedan in India. The XF sedan is being assembled through CKD kits at the former Tata Motors-Mercedes Benz production facility at Chikli, off Pune, which has now been converted for producing Jaguar and Land Rover models. Incidentally, the diesel powered Jaguar XF luxury sedan is the second JLR model to roll out of Chikli, with the first one being the Land Rover Freelander2 SUV. Along with the CKD assembly, prices of the Jaguar XF Diesel has seen a reduction.

The 2012 Jaguar XF Diesel sedan is now available at a price of INR 48.37 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi, which puts it within striking distance of the top end BMW 5 Series diesel model in the form of the 530d variant. So, CKD assembly has indeed made the Jaguar XF diesel sedan extremely price competitive and expected to see more of this stylish luxury sedan on Indian streets in the coming months.

ICB Exclusive: Jaguar begins CKD assembly of the XF 3.0 Turbo Diesel Sedan; Bookings open | IndianCarsBikes.in

Re: Jaguar begins ckd assembly of the xf 3.0 turbo diesel sedan; bookings open

That is really interesting. More Jags will be on the road. Now they must consider 2.2 diesel seriously for the ckd operation.

Re: Jaguar begins ckd assembly of the xf 3.0 turbo diesel sedan; bookings open

Happy to see one of my fav car brands has started doing this, that too in my city. [:)]

Now what is the price comparison of 3 Germans & the British? Are they evenly placed for a fierce competition? I think E class leads the chart followed by 5 series at the moment.

Jaguar Land Rover India achieves 32% growth in sales

“Despite difficult economic circumstances and a general slowdown in the Indian car market, we have continued to grow our sales due to appealing and exciting products that distinguish us from other luxury car manufacturers. The coming year will see the introduction of further new and refreshed products and we are confident of increasing our share of the Indian luxury car market.”
Jaguar Land Rover India achieves 32% growth sales

Top Bottom