Number of Problems in Brand New Toyota Etios

Engine noise and vibrations were something which put me off from recommending this to my brother who was in the process of booking the vehicle at that time. He also had an image of Toyota being a Quality brand as every Indian does, but Etios and Liva do not come across as their products on road.

Munish, you are the first one who has come out with all these issues on this forum which are mostly related to insulation. I am hoping that after this more owners will come out with their accounts as well. Considering the plight you have been through, any prospective customer should be aware of these issues.

My colleage from Calicut has bought Etios Liva . His first impressions were "cheap to bad Interiors " he is not much happy. he too bought thinking of Toyota without TD or such formalities.

Hi Munish,

Shocking to read your Etios experiance. [confused]

I was actively searching for a sedan and many people advised me to go for Etios because of Toyota Brand image.

Now I feel lucky that I have resisted that and finally closed in on Manza. [:D]

You are right about the price. Etios is priced in the same range as Manza and Swift Dezire.

I bought my Manza the same day you took delivery of your vehicle and I hate to get out of the car because of the comfort factor in Manza.

There is no vibration in Diesel Manza. Infact during idling you cannot distinguish between a Diesal and a Petrol. Many a times felt that engine is off since its so silent.

Hmmm is Etios that cheap and vibrates so much? Looks like i have to take a TD soon to confirm this. Feel sorry for you buddy , Toyota has shaken the trust which Indians had in them! By made for India then do they think we Indian's are cheap and deserve only that much?[anger]

Like Smooth rider said if you are not satisfied with the car then do sell it off when its still new , i don't think you will be getting a re-fund any soon!

I own a Liva and the only problem i found in this vehicle is some external noise coming inside but not that much of Ritz. Moreover one should not expect a Toyota Corolla like feel for about Rs.700000. [lol]

I own a Liva and the only problem i found in this vehicle is some external noise coming inside but not that much of Ritz. Moreover one should not expect a Toyota Corolla like feel for about Rs.700000. [lol]
Cant one expect a Maruti Dzire like feel for 7,00,000/-?[surprise]

Last edited:
after reading this thread i felt Ritz is far better
those affected are not expecting a corolla, but they expected a good gasket
please read post #8

Last edited:
Hi Munish
I can see that your pretty sad with the Vehicle your having.
This is not a premium Sedan/hatch anyways and to target that much Range customer Toyota produced this car in that price range however those build quality failures are shocking.

Lets see what you CAN do to fix some of the issues

- Engine Idle problem can be solved. Try cleaning the engine injectors, replace spark plugs , engine oil, oil filter, air filter and clean AFM sensors. Use 98 octane fuel once in a while . Set the speed.

- Vibrations: If engine is vibrating too much Add Strut bars in the engine bay

- Engine noise coming inside : Check for the seals that is between car engine and the interior. that is wire holes etc etc. This can be eliminated

- Gravel road noise: I heard this happens to most of the small car. Two Reason: hollow shaped alloy wheels and other is the car mats .
I would suggest you to take out seats and the middle dash and remove the carpet. Put a fine layer of high quality foam that can soak that noise.and put back on the OEM mats on top.

- Air con smell: Try switching the AC from Outisde air to inside and see if problem persists. IF does . Then go check your CABIN filter.
Normally they don't put any filter in cabin filter box. make one your self or clean if there is one already.

- Paint cracks: Use paint protector and regularly polish the car like once every fortnight.

Hope that helps

Hi Munish,

Shocking to read your Etios experiance. [confused]

I was actively searching for a sedan and many people advised me to go for Etios because of Toyota Brand image.

Now I feel lucky that I have resisted that and finally closed in on Manza. [:D]

You are right about the price. Etios is priced in the same range as Manza and Swift Dezire.

I bought my Manza the same day you took delivery of your vehicle and I hate to get out of the car because of the comfort factor in Manza.

There is no vibration in Diesel Manza. Infact during idling you cannot distinguish between a Diesal and a Petrol. Many a times felt that engine is off since its so silent.
Tata has some real good diesel engines I must say

the missing door rubber as said/mentioned as door gasket is the solution to keep road and engine noise away.

vibrations in toyota branded car?
As said any insect may have gone inside the cabin and into the ac vent?

even with a open hood , maruti petrol cars or any petrol cars are silent! are you sure it gives diesel car like sound.

even our manza is damn silent.

Tata has some real good diesel engines I must say
Manza's diesel engine is the 1.3 Multijet with variable geometry turbo which borrowed from the Linea.

Hi Munish
I can see that your pretty sad with the Vehicle your having.
This is not a premium Sedan/hatch anyways and to target that much Range customer Toyota produced this car in that price range however those build quality failures are shocking.

Lets see what you CAN do to fix some of the issues

- Engine Idle problem can be solved. Try cleaning the engine injectors, replace spark plugs , engine oil, oil filter, air filter and clean AFM sensors. Use 98 octane fuel once in a while . Set the speed.

- Vibrations: If engine is vibrating too much Add Strut bars in the engine bay

- Engine noise coming inside : Check for the seals that is between car engine and the interior. that is wire holes etc etc. This can be eliminated

- Gravel road noise: I heard this happens to most of the small car. Two Reason: hollow shaped alloy wheels and other is the car mats .
I would suggest you to take out seats and the middle dash and remove the carpet. Put a fine layer of high quality foam that can soak that noise.and put back on the OEM mats on top.

- Air con smell: Try switching the AC from Outisde air to inside and see if problem persists. IF does . Then go check your CABIN filter.
Normally they don't put any filter in cabin filter box. make one your self or clean if there is one already.

- Paint cracks: Use paint protector and regularly polish the car like once every fortnight.

Hope that helps
Happy for your considerate comments my friend but is it mandatory to have all this done on a brand new car? I mean, if all this needs to be done, what's the point of buying this car at all?

I am totally shocked to read all the issues . I was trying to read and comprehend everything since yesterday.Ambigous thoughts- some times i felt the issues are being over exaggeration and sometimes i felt they might true.
I have so far convinced myself believing that product you bought might be a lemon.or your case might be unique one.

Else a reputed brand cannot sell such a miserable product as it will all bounce back like a nightmare to them though for an unfinished product like etios there are lot of option to make things right like Recalls.

points mentioned by codename47 could be very good for old car which needs resurrection but for a brand new car to do all those things would cost a fortune and time.
The adding strut bars in engine bay is one of the most serious things to do which can void the warrenty of vehical. if the results are negative then manufacture will blame owner for tampering the car being the reason for all issues.

i was waiting at a signal and a etios was waiting for the green beside me.

Finding the windows of the etios down , asked the driver , hows the car and what all are the problems.

He just said the car is superb. no complaints etc , i pointed out door beeding as said and he said , no issues , everything is fine and shuts fine.

His only grump was on the FE.
he said his car gives 13kmpl in ac and 14 in non ac. not as company claimed 17 or 18.

so i found the answer for the un asked question , the reason for windows roll down!

Top Bottom