Now Only One Diesel Car Per Family Allowed in Delhi

Thread Starter #1
A ban of 10 year old diesel cars is not the only solution which the National Green Tribunal (NGT) is thinking of to keep pollution under control in the capital city of New Delhi.

Latest news reveals that NGT is not trying to bring in a rule which suggests that only 1 diesel car can be purchased in a family. If another one is purchased, owners will have to pay extra one time parking charges to the government.

Also, to cut down car sales in Delhi, the government mentions that one needs to show a valid parking space before buying a second vehicle in the family.

Official decisions are expected to be announced next month.

Only one diesel car per family allowed in Delhi | Shifting-Gears

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Only one diesel car per family allowed - Delhi

I some how don't accept the notion of not keeping more than 1 diesel car at home. It should be left for the owner to decide what he/she wishes to buy. Adding more taxes on purchase of 2nd/3rd diesel car should only be levied on the fleet owners mainly because their way of up-keep of the vehicles is really questionable. Private owners are still in sane limits as far as owning of diesel cars are concerned.

Ban on 10 year old diesel vehicles and now not allowing to own more than 1 diesel car at home somehow do not appear co-related to me. Reason being, 10 years back, the technology involved in making diesel engines was not as advanced as it is on the present day. Today, be it petrol or diesel, all engines are compliant to the stated emission norms. Today's diesel cars (4 wheelers) do not emit as much smoke in the air as they used to emit a decade back. Hence, in comparison, today's diesel vehicles are far superior and eco friendly. Therefore, owning more than one of them is not a threat in my view.

If the govt. plans to put a ban on 10 year old diesel vehicles, they should also consider the diesel generators which are used to power tents at marriages and still in some households one can find those gen-sets. These gen-sets not only pollute air but produce lot of noise pollution. What's govt. take on this? Secondly, the govt. vehicles are at large diesel and many of them might be more than 10 year old, has govt. planned an auction of them for scrap dealers?

I am not against the decision of banning of 10 year old diesel cars by govt. but they should not only target the private/commercial owners. They should also come up and auction their own vehicles which are diesel and are more than 10 year old.

Regards

Akash

PS: It seems, there is a significant role of govt. policies here, that the market of diesel cars is seeing a downward trend.

Last edited:

I some how don't accept the notion of not keeping more than 1 diesel car at home. It should be left for the owner to decide what he/she wishes to buy. Adding more taxes on purchase of 2nd/3rd diesel car should only be levied on the fleet owners mainly because their way of up-keep of the vehicles is really questionable. Private owners are still in sane limits as far as owning of diesel cars are concerned.
The problem lies here that, though it is fact that taxi owners abuse their cars, in Delhi, private car owners are no better. In Delhi, they are equally abused. In fact most of in North India. That's why, buying a car in NCR and around is a tough call.

As Akash said the emission rate is indeed reduced considerably in the modern diesel cars with the new technologies. But what about the number of vehicles?. They are increasing exponentialy each year. Smoke reduced, but number of cars increased. Ultimately the ill effect on the environment is still unchanged or increased, but not decreased. IMO we should welcome and co-operate with such environment-friendly norms from Govt. As you said the fleet owners should be imposed to stay away from diesel vehicles and buy CNG vehicles instead.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Lame, I certainly agree on the number of diesel cars and certainly feel that a hybrid technology just like offered in some petrol cars here should be provided in diesel cars too with subsidy by govt. It is a known fact that fixation for the diesel engine won't be declining ever so a better and beneficial solution has to be thought about. Secondly, there should be different taxation slabs for commercial and private owners. Reason, upkeep is generally poor in fleet and secondly, commercial taxation if levied on private owners then it will be really hard on pockets of private owners. You see, there are many tricks employed by fleet owners to avoid commercial transport tax so they be should taxed separately. Also, as far as popularity for diesel cars go, in north and specially in Delhi, owners prefer at large a pure diesel or pure petrol car. Alternately fueled cars are confined to largely the hatch back segment like Alto CNG, Wagon R CNG. However, when it comes to sedan be it CS or large sedan, alternate fuels are not really popular.

Hence, as much as its a positive move from govt. I would say, a proper official framework should be laid down with clear-cut policies prior to implementation.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

I feel that urban India (especially the upper middle class (>15lac pa) bracket is currently gripped by the lazy bum phenomenon (literally). I have seen people in Pune driving their cars approaching a street side vegetable cart owner , handing over a 500 Rs note and asking him to put whatever worth of veggies in a bag. This is a very common occurence. And wherever a car cannot go, there are 2-wheelers. Ladies on 2-wheelers barely move an inch to even select the individual pieces of potatoes/onions/tomatoes, just hand over the cash and speed away, often flouting rules like wrong-side driving etc. This in turn has made the veggie owners also smart, they also hike up their prices by 5-10 Rs depending on whether you walk up to them or drive thru. Its no joke, its a sad fact.
So yes, the automobile culture is creating a health issue of a different kind IMO. People are hesitant to even walk 500m without a car, and that too with AC on.
However, any measures to curb private vehicle ownership must be commensurate with excellent public transport infrastructure as well as uniform application of rules. One way would be to actually raise the vehicle driving/ownership age to 21 for 2-wheelers and 25 for 4-wheelers. I know it sounds damn regressive, but atleast it will curb some careless and irresponsible vehicle usage. The same limit for commercial vehicles should also be like 25 for smaller vehicles and atleast 30 for heavy vehicles. Plus an upper limit of 60 for the same.

Last edited:

I feel the discussion is missing a very important point - Govt is directly providing subsidy for diesel powered vehicle for personal use; Hence, I'm assuming that they are trying to reduce the outflow

Yup vista addict I too feel it has to do with subsidised fuel. I think its a good move by the Government. Why should anybody paying upwards of 50 lakhs run their car on subsidised fuel. Can someone throw light on the taxation of petrol and diesel as somewhere I read that a good percentage of the cost of fuel is tax. Isn't it an irony that somebody who coughs up his hard earned savings to buy that cherished nano or alto ultimately pays full price while the well heeled run their cars on subsidised fuel.At least for this inequality sake I welcome the diesel nano.

Yup vista addict I too feel it has to do with subsidised fuel. I think its a good move by the Government. Why should anybody paying upwards of 50 lakhs run their car on subsidised fuel. Can someone throw light on the taxation of petrol and diesel as somewhere I read that a good percentage of the cost of fuel is tax. Isn't it an irony that somebody who coughs up his hard earned savings to buy that cherished nano or alto ultimately pays full price while the well heeled run their cars on subsidised fuel.At least for this inequality sake I welcome the diesel nano.
So,how should we go forward? Diesel consumption is higher because its subsidized.Government must check ways to decrease the consumption rather than curbing the ownership.Why is it connected to parking space? Diesel or Petrol vehicle parking space remains the same.In my opinion, since diesel is subsidized,the VAT of the new diesel vehicle must be increased proportionally.This must go directly to the state government who is liable to protect the environment. Increase the vehicle overhead in such a way that the long term ownership (10 years), becomes almost similar to a private owner for both petrol and diesel.

AFAIK Diesel isn't subsidized any more, though its comparatively less taxed than Petrol. There are a lot of reason why people are moving onto Diesel cars, namely more fuel efficient engines, more power and also low cost of fuel. High Maintenance cost is compensated by the above three factors. Even I drive a diesel, which was bought when I used to drive around 100km everyday. Nowadays I drive less than 30 km, but am still using it as its my only car and my office doesn't provide transportation.
If the government departments (including the NCT) is serious about the health of its citizens, it should fire the person getting such ridiculous ideas. First ban 10yr vehicles and now this.
It should first focus bringing in better standard of diesel fuel which would reduce pollution simulateneously improving public transport, so that less people are compelled to drive. To control the pollution, first step should be steps to reduce vehicle count on roads. Also, automobile manufacturers needs to be provided with incentives to research and manufacture next gen. engine technologies along with subsidies on alternative fuels. Also, subsidy should be given like yearly insurance discounts etc for low mileage cars.
Implementation should be step wise not as a diktat, otherwise such ideas are always meant to fail.

I think if we all are provided quality Public transportation not many of us commoners would really want to drive every day with so much traffic. So Government if it can improve the Public Transport system it would really help.

Top Bottom