No More New Diesel Engines?

That's all right, but the same Maruti has expressed concern over viability of EVs including very high initial cost, charging infrastructure and practicality. I think the best thing is that diesel will be only for heavy SUV type vehicles and transport vehicles and all other 4 wheelers will run on petrol for the forseeable future. I even think that alternate fuel like hydrogen may be more practical than EVs.

What EVs require is not charging point but swappable battery at EV stations which is fast to replace and doesn't take hours to recharge Most of the concern on EV is about charging time and also range.

Maruti to phase out diesel models from April next year

The country's largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) will phase out all diesel cars from its portfolio with effect from April 1, 2020.

"From April 1, 2020 we will not be selling diesel cars," MSI Chairman RC Bhargava said.

Read:
Without a Diesel Engine, some of their models will loose out to competition. i expect MSL to iron out issues with their 1.5L diesel engine (which is under-development) to make it BS-6 compliant and plonk it in their heavier cars.

That's all right, but the same Maruti has expressed concern over viability of EVs including very high initial cost, charging infrastructure and practicality. I think the best thing is that diesel will be only for heavy SUV type vehicles and transport vehicles and all other 4 wheelers will run on petrol for the forseeable future. I even think that alternate fuel like hydrogen may be more practical than EVs.

What EVs require is not charging point but swappable battery at EV stations which is fast to replace and doesn't take hours to recharge Most of the concern on EV is about charging time and also range.
EV owner would go for Battery swap, with almost depleted OEM provided batteries. It is tough to assess "battery condition & capacity" in that condition, that too within 5-10 minutes. If a fraudster tries to swap "depleted DUPLICATE and ultra-cheap Batteries at Battery Stations [cry] , is there a way to check genuineness of Batteries ??? If NOT, idea of swapping would fail.

Duplicate batteries might come with working QR Code, as "some car, somewhere will have a battery matching THAT EXACT QR Code". India has lots of people who can duplicate stuff that looks much better than EVEN the original [frustration]

i'm just curious to know if such frauds can be prevented or not [roll]

EV owner would go for Battery swap, with almost depleted OEM provided batteries. It is tough to assess "battery condition & capacity" in that condition, that too within 5-10 minutes. If a fraudster tries to swap "depleted DUPLICATE and ultra-cheap Batteries at Battery Stations [cry] , is there a way to check genuineness of Batteries ??? If NOT, idea of swapping would fail.

Duplicate batteries might come with working QR Code, as "some car, somewhere will have a battery matching THAT EXACT QR Code". India has lots of people who can duplicate stuff that looks much better than EVEN the original [frustration]

i'm just curious to know if such frauds can be prevented or not [roll]
Yes, there are a lot of problem with the battery issue. However, just like quality and quantity check for petrol/diesel, there should be some certification and also indicator on the car which would confirm on the battery life and quality. But it is a long way off. I see EVs as a failure even environmentally if the source of the energy is fossil fuels ultimately.

With new high speed charging network in prototype stage, with top up in 5 mins claim in Germany, we shouldn't be worried about charging when EVs become mainstream. It will be just like us filling up at fuel stations.

Top Bottom