Nissan Terrano Review & Pictures: Terrific Terrano

Thread Starter #31

350Z

Core Team
Re: First Drive: Nissan Terrano Test Drive Review

Nissan has launched the Terrano in India at an event held in Chennai. Here’s the price list and official press release.

Prices (Ex. Showroom, Delhi):

Nissan Terrano 104 PS Petrol:

> XL: Rs 9,79,300

Nissan Terrano 85 PS Diesel:

> XE: Rs.9,59,999

> XL: Rs.10,66,300

> XL Plus: Rs.10,94,050

Nissan Terrano 110 PS Diesel:

> XL: Rs. 11,33,300

> XV: Rs. 12,16,350

> XV Premium: Rs.12,46,350

Nissan today announced the launch of its much awaited Terrano premium compact sports utility vehicle (SUV) in India. Nissan’s latest product offering is now available across the nation with a starting price of Rs 9.59 lakh (ex-showroom, New Delhi). Terrano will be available in seven variants spread across three engine options: 110PS diesel, 85PS diesel and 104PS petrol.

Terrano marks Nissan’s entry in the fast growing compact SUV segment and has been specifically developed to meet and exceed the expectations of the discerning Indian customer. It is the first locally manufactured compact SUV from Nissan brand in India. At the same time, the fourth generation Terrano stays true to Nissan’s renowned SUV heritage and sports the same design ethos as other popular Nissan SUVs like the Pathfinder and iconic Patrol.

The premium, bold and stylish Terrano also offers comfortable and luxurious interiors. Its outstanding ride quality and dynamics give the assurance of an SUV while maintaining the convenience of a sedan. All this coupled with excellent fuel efficiency makes Terrano effortless and economical; both in the city and on rugged terrains.

With over 6000 bookings since the unveil, Terrano has been well accepted by prospective customers as a value proposition that offers a premium tag, styling and features. Terrano is on display at all Nissan showrooms.

Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Kenichiro Yomura, President, Nissan India Operations, said, “Terrano perfectly embodies our spirit of delivering innovation and excitement to our customers. It proudly carries forward the legacy established by our SUVs like Pathfinder and Patrol. We are confident that Terrano’s stylish exterior, premium interior and a well-balanced dynamic package will appeal to SUV lovers in India. Terrano is an important product for us and will set the pace for future product launches slated for 2014.”

Mr. Nitish Tipnis, Director – Sales & Marketing, Hover Automotive India (National Sales Company for Nissan in India) said, “Our combined efforts have paid off with the initial feedback and encouragement we have received through the quantum of bookings clocked in the pre-sales period. With the expansion of our dealership network nationwide, we will continue growing within the market and look forward to a promising year with the Terrano being one of the most successful products ever launched in our product portfolio.”

Nissan Terrano: In detail

The all-new Terrano is a premium compact SUV with bold, distinguished design language. The new exterior styling represents a smart fusion of signature Nissan styling cues and dynamic strength.

Exterior styling

The new Terrano has a dominating road presence with a dynamic and robust stance. The vehicle conveys modernity while paying homage to Nissan’s SUV design heritage seen in models like Patrol and Pathfinder.

Terrano’s front-end highlights Nissan’s V-Motion design signature, which starts from the angled strut grille and moves up through the bonnet. The chrome finished grille gives the vehicle a strong attitude while the sharp headlamps - with a four-pod design - cast a deep-set eye impression and feature sleek, integrated turn signals. The wide, tough front lends the Terrano a very powerful personality.

The car’s character is further strengthened by a clear shoulder expression providing length to the vehicle. The overall clean design of the car is accentuated by muscular fenders defined by sharp creases. These distinct details give the compact SUV a very agile yet spacious impression.

Terrano’s distinct exterior is accentuated by imposing Nissan heritage grill which emphasizes tough, solid and durable attributes. The look is ‘adventure-ready’ with a strong and stable stance. All-new 16-inch, chrome-coated, machined-alloy wheels, standard on the XL Plus, XV and XV Premium variants, complete the premium and appealing appearance.

Terrano’s rear has distinctive stylish rear combination lamps with horizontal white graphic detailing. The wide-spaced tail lamps offer a firmly-planted stance when viewed from the rear to make it distinctively different from any other competitor.

Other exterior details include colored roof rails, silver-finished skid plates and a chrome finisher strip on the tailgate.

Interior design

Terrano promises to pamper its occupants with its well-appointed, premium interior. The two-tone dash features chrome surrounds for the AC vents and silver-finished accents around the glossy, piano black centre console.

Extensive use of light-colored beige in the cabin adds to the feel of roominess while useful storage spaces, including a covered compartment above the center console, add to the cabin’s practicality.

Key features

Terrano comes with a choice of three powerplants. The 1.5-litre dCi diesel engine will be offered in two states of tune, developing 110PS and 85PS respectively. A 1.6-litre petrol engine churning out 104PS completes the range. The 110PS diesel comes with a 6-Speed transmission while the rest of the range gets a 5-Speed gearbox.

The 85PS diesel will be available in base XE, XL and XL Plus trims where as the 110PS diesel will be available THP XL, XV and the top of the line XV Premium trims. The petrol variant will only be available in the mid-level XL trim.

Terrano XV Premium comes fully loaded with a Bluetooth enabled in-dash audio system, leather upholstery, premium zebra wood finish door trim inserts, rear air conditioner, 16-inch machined alloy wheels and reverse parking sensors. A 6.1-inch touchscreen entertainment system with navigation is available as an accessory and so is a steering mounted audio control module.

Safety

Terrano comes equipped with class leading safety features and driver’s airbag is standard even on the base XE and XL variants. It also offers passenger airbag and safety features like Anti-lock Braking system (ABS), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) Brake Assist (BA) and reverse parking sensors on higher variants.

Smooth & comfortable drive

Terrano comes with perfect suspension set up that offers excellent ride quality over all terrains. It has the best-in-class turning radius of 5.2 metres that makes it easy to drive in the city while a ground clearance of 205mm, the highest in its segment, makes it fit for the rugged outdoors. Low NVH levels result in a quieter cabin and enhanced driving comfort. The Terrano will be available in six colours - Pearl White, Blade Silver, Bronze Grey, Sapphire Black, Sterling Grey and Fire Red.
Nissan Terrano Customer Felicitation Pic 01.jpg

Nissan Terrano Customer Felicitation Pic 02.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Terrano already has 6,000 bookings. Given monthly production of 3,000, the wait period is 2 months. Shows that there is a market which values cabin space (Terrano/Duster) over equipment level (Ecosport). Will be interesting to see if Duster+Terrano can beat Ecosport's monthly figures.

My take on Terrano pricing is that no auto-maker will sacrifice profitability for volumes.

Just-launched Nissan Terrano has a 2 month waiting period

I saw the terrano in real today , it looks impressive only let down are interiors and price .

I saw the terrano in real today , it looks impressive only let down are interiors and price .
+1 to that bro. Terrano looks really cool from outside but price is on the higher side. 2 friends in my circle have cancelled their booking because of the same reason. One of them is going for Storme LX and the other one for Eco-Sport.

+1 to that bro. Terrano looks really cool from outside but price is on the higher side. 2 friends in my circle have cancelled their booking because of the same reason. One of them is going for Storme LX and the other one for Eco-Sport.
True . Here is the pic the fit and finish and look outside is great but inside it's looks very dated .

Attachments

Agree with you guys,
For me all these so called compact SUVs just a hype. Why anyone should pay more than a comparable sedan? Other than the advantage of higher GC there is absolutely no reason to buy them at this price.
Regarding the GC if one is careful driver I don't think that will be a show stopper. Most of the public who bought Ecosport or Duster hardly do any offroading and these vehicles are not meant for offroading anyway.

Yes styling the reason for the hype, but one has to pay a hefty premium for that. I will be ready to shell out extra if for eg. Jazz 2014 comes with hybrid engine even though i miss out on the GC.

For me look-wise still Duster is no one in comparison to all three SUVs [evil] Especially the white Duster is a 'beauty' . But I will not buy it either.

Finally I feel Duster will be the winner among the three at the end IMO.

Great review vibhor,[clap] honest and right to the point of sharing.
How is your take on the ride quality, suspension setup and as prospective buyers point on take of both the vehicles as you rode, duster and terrano, a better option to buy and to go with in both their diesel engines, 85 and 110.

Hi Vibhor, Great review. Thanks for the effort man. And great comparison as well.

What was your initial driving impression of Terrano?
Is there any difference between Duster and Terrano in terms of handling or driving dynamics?
Is suspension state different in Terrano as compared to Duster?
Vibhor, could you please address these questions?

Thread Starter #39

350Z

Core Team

Hi Vibhor, Great review. Thanks for the effort man. And great comparison as well.

What was your initial driving impression of Terrano?
Is there any difference between Duster and Terrano in terms of handling or driving dynamics?
Is suspension state different in Terrano as compared to Duster?
Sorry for missing out those questions. Getting to the point: Underpinnings of both the cars are more or less the same. I didn’t feel much difference driving it in comparison to Duster. Handling is impressive on high-speeds though since the suspension is tuned more for softness, certain amount of body roll was evident while maneuvering through winding roads of Udaipur. There’s nothing to complaint as far as the ride quality is concerned. It remains as superior as in Renault Duster. Hope that sums up well.

Drive Safe,
350Z

By the way did anyone check the updated interiors of Terrano [lol]

Just opened up nissanterrano.in to find out this, epic fail by Nissan now I am wondering for how much amount Mazda will sue Nissan after this gaffe.

Attachments

Spoke to a sales guy in Jubilant Nissan OMR, Chennai and got to know that test drive vehicle is not ready yet. Wondering, why would a company like Nissan make the prospective customers wait for a long time. Already launch was late, then the pricing was announced but for those booked they are clueless when will they get thiers hands on them

Can anything be more unsafe than this ? The 3rd row seat is official Nissan accessory; so small, it is meant for children. No seat belts, and there is a metal bar jutting out behind where the child's head would be. How does any automaker market a life endangering accessory like this, and how do gullible Indian buy these things ? Beyond me.

Nissan-Terrano-third-row-seat.jpg

(source IAB)

Can anything be more unsafe than this ? The 3rd row seat is official Nissan accessory; so small, it is meant for children. No seat belts, and there is a metal bar jutting out behind where the child's head would be. How does any automaker market a life endangering accessory like this, and how do gullible Indian buy these things ? Beyond me.

(source IAB)
Simple! We Indians want more seats! because we pay more money. [frustration]
Also note no seat belt would protect the person sitting sideways. Basically its the disaster waiting to happen. Imagine a rear ending collision. I have never even allowed my children to sit in the front seat, no way in the death trap in the back!
But that's my view, there are lot of happy families going to like the extra seats for sure.

+ 100 guys, thats how our market is and wants every manufacturer to add as much more seats possible and thats what companies are into as well,
As indian said, this is a disaster waiting to happen.

Simple! We Indians want more seats! because we pay more money. [frustration]
Sadly this is how we Indians think, we have paid 14 lacs for this vehicle lets add 2 seats at the back and the car becomes 8-9 seater [frustration], I think the useless laws in India are to be blamed for this mess. The situation is so pathetic that manufacturers have come to know that life is pretty cheap in India and they can easily get away with these kind of gimmicks.

Most of the people buying this accessory will argue that they are going to use this thing for city drives where the speed is already very slow therefore no need of any safety features. I know a few guys who have given this argument to justify their non ABS and airbag cars.

Top Bottom