Nissan Planning to Hit Hard on Hatchback Segment

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Nissan, the same automobile manufacturer whose name was not very familiar to Indians until last few years, is now trying best of their efforts to grab hold of the Indian hatchback segment. First, the launch of Micra as their test car proved to be reasonable enough but now to hit hard on the market, Nissan is planning to launch two competitive products that will be placed below the Micra.

• Model.1: Nissan K2 (Codename)
This car will be placed right below the Micra when it launches next year in December 2012. It will use a two generation old Micra platform and the current Micra’s 1.2-liter petrol engine, which is capable to produce fair fuel efficiency figures.

• Model.2: Nissan I2 (Codename)
This mysterious model will sit in between the Nissan’s ultra low cost car and the K2 in order to provide sleepless nights to the current segment leader - Alto. However, there is no concrete information about the exact specifications, yet. Now what will be more interesting to watch out is whether Nissan can survive as being a new car maker, in such a stiff competition in hatchback segment where each one already has their own fair amount of share. Probably yes. Probably no. But only if they keep the strategies right.

Old generation Nissan Micra on which the New Nissan K2 will be based.
1996-1997_Nissan_Micra_(K11_S2)_SLX_5-door_hatchback_01.jpg
Image Source: Random Google Search

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hey 350Z,

I am truly baffled by NISSAN's India strategies. Are they really serious over capturing market share, if so then they better come up with something good rather than their insipid cars on offer currently.

For example, the Teana - I remember seeing just a couple of those. In comparison, let's not talk about the Camry and the Accord sales. The X-Trail too is a niche player and now with the launch of the X1 & the Fortuner, i don't really know what's happening with the X-Trail. (I am a huge fan of the punchy diesel in this baby, but hate the way the new model looks)

They had one chance to redeem themselves with their small car and chose to give us the overpriced Micra. But no, these guys just don't learn. When the whole of Automotive India has moved on to more modern and capable cars, NISSAN India choses to dump the outdated K2 on us [frustration]

Cheers :)

in my opinion, nissan is using old platform only to reduce price but they are forgetting that indian market is now more than price..well even alto is also using old maruti 800 platform [plz correct if am wrong] so if design is good then it should be ok.

Nissan is planning big time for sure.
They should increase their dealership base. Thats the most important thing they should be doing. I feel their products and strategy are on the right path. But d issue is wit the fewer dealership base that they have. Once things get to be normal... They should be competing with FORD and CHEVY for the coming years and then get to the bigger guns the Likes of TATA, Maruti and Hyundai.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Nissan should first improve their A.S.S and dealership base!

And i completely agree with sgirish! The X-Trail is one great car which is under-performing till now due to slightly expensive price tag and outdated looks!

After introducing the Micra hatchback and Sunny sedan, which have been doing decent numbers in their respective segments, Nissan Motor India is now concentrating on expanding its dealer network to have a better reach to its customers. Nissan has already got busy with introducing a slew of dealerships and will inaugurate their new showroom in Mumbai on Thursday, August 9 2012, @ 12 Noon in Andheri (west). The new dealership – Torrent Nissan will be inaugurated by Mr.G M Singh, Vice-Chairman & Managing Director, Hover Automotive India.

Nissan Micra may be good in numbers of petrol, but the diesel one is huge disappointment !! who ever my friends who bought his car, they are not at all happy with its engine sound[anger]. Even I drove one and felt the same and there is nothing so exciting about this car except Nissan badge.

In India cars just do not sell with badge, a strong dealership and service network is needed and they need to refine their diesel engines quickly to control the noise

If K2 is really based on the old generation Micra .. my best of luck to Nissan as they will surely need it.

On the existing Micra diesel.. why is ABS/EBD missing is still an enigma to me. Or they expect these to be city cars only?

Nissan Micra may be good in numbers of petrol, but the diesel one is huge disappointment !! who ever my friends who bought his car, they are not at all happy with its engine sound[anger]. Even I drove one and felt the same and there is nothing so exciting about this car except Nissan badge.

In India cars just do not sell with badge, a strong dealership and service network is needed and they need to refine their diesel engines quickly to control the noise
Sir I think the nvh levels of micra are not upto the mark so the noise which u are talking , infact though being old it's solid , proven and reliable engine all around the world .

Sir I think the nvh levels of micra are not upto the mark so the noise which u are talking , infact though being old it's solid , proven and reliable engine all around the world .
Some how I feel all the manufacturers will produce and supply bit different models "Made for India"[surprise]

This difference I have seen when I drove Splash In Europe and the Ritz in India there is lot of difference in vehicle refinement, features, tyre sizes and etc.,[lol]

So same might be with Nissan too !!

Top Bottom