Nissan Micra Diesel Road Test Review

Thread Starter #2
The Diesel Drive.

IMG_4477_wm.jpg

Nissan introduced the Micra hatchback in India earlier this year in August 2010. Although, the car offered most of the significant features at a fairly well price tag, which a typical buyer of this segment would consider, however, what it missed was the availability of a torquey Diesel engine. Now lately, keeping in mind the high customer-demand for a Diesel variant, Nissan has fulfilled that requirement too, which aids to make the Micra one of the comprehensive packages altogether. The Automotive India recently pushed this small hatchback off to its limits to find out whether it really makes worth that excitement or not.

Apparently, there is not much difference to distinguish the Nissan Micra Diesel from its Petrol counterpart, except for a DCi badge on rear, but Micra remains to look as cute as ever with that Micky Mouse like appearance and chic lines of design. Once you turn on the ignition, suddenly the 1.5-Liter Diesel motor strikes in to make you realize of the Wolf under Sheep’s clothing. The Micra's K9K Engine boasts 1461cc and churns out 64BHP of Power @ 4000 RPM, along with 160NM of Torque @ 2000 RPM. Now, gone are those days of inserting the key, and twisting it to crank the engine - Just put your transponder system inside this car, Press the clutch and tap the start button, with a slight jerk, the Micra begins to move forward. Once the engine turns on, chances are that you will be left into a surprise because the car is quiet when idle. In addition, the Gearing ratios are better than many other hatchbacks, resulting that you need not to downshift frequently.

Shifting on to first gear lets you reach top speed of 43 kmph and the 2nd gear pulls out 77kmph, whereas 107 kmph in 3rd and 140 kmph in 4th gear respectively. Nissan claims the top speed of 158 kmph in 5th gear. Though, Micra's Gearbox is all set for the best ratios, you may feel a bit under powered in 1st gear, but 2nd and 3rd gear would bring back the lost smile of your face. The Torque figures are lowest of the segment & only could be compared to Figo, when speaking about the Diesel, there should be obviously a lag. However, astonishingly, it is close to zero in the Micra. Blazing through dead traffic gets a little easier because Micra floats smooth with second gear @ 10kmph, third @ 20kmph, fourth @ 35kmph & fifth @ 45kmph, pushing the gas pedals makes a heavy engine roar. Splurging from NIL to 100 may not be that impressive as segment leaders, still the Micra does a decent job in 15+ seconds, same as its petrol sibling. Braking is not that impressive in wet due to lack of ABS, but it does a commendable job in dry areas with the Disc and drum combined.

Safety, which redefined with the Micra petrol, is into surprise now with the launch of Diesel. The same manufacturer that offered EBS, ABD & BA has cut down everything for the sake of competitive pricing. At least an option of all these could have been given for potential buyers. Now, what you get is a single driver airbag, but no airbag for co-driver’s seat, even on top-end variant. Thanks to an Ultra-light K9K diesel engine, Micra gives 15 kmpl easily in city drives and 22+ kmpl on Highway drives. In our journey of over 400 kilometers, the car managed to return an average of 19.2kmpl, whereas the worst figures received was 12.1 only.

IMG_4522_wm.jpg

Thread Starter #3
IMG_4540_wm.jpg

We thought of giving direct inputs to the manufacturers, so here we go with our wish list for Nissan India which could help making the Micra an even better hatchback.

• Ground clearance of 154MM needs to be increased.

• Nissan, Thanks for hearing us and switching the 175/60 R15 on Diesel. Even Petrol variant asks for the same.

• Unused area on the dashboard can be utilized as a secondary glove box.

• A bit firm cushions will be much comfortable for long drives.

• The vanity mirrors are missing even in Diesel variant.

• Power could have been slightly more than 64 BHP, at least 72 BHP would have done a clear sweep of competitors.

• A bit heavy and small steering wheel would help us get high speed stability.

• EBD, ABS, BA & passenger airbag must have been provided as an option (Atleast?).

• Full Wheel covers on XV variant are slightly protruded, doesn't look good and looks like its gonna fall off.

What we Like in Nissan Micra Diesel? [thumbsup]

• Excellent Fuel Efficiency.

• Frugal Diesel Engine.

• Interesting New Features (Push Button etc)

• A Powerful Air-con. Unit.

What we Dis-Like in Nissan Micra Diesel? [thumbsdown]

• After Sales Needs Improvement.

• Slightly Low Ground Clearance.

• Lack of Storage Spaces.

• Essential Safety Features Not on Offer.

Nissan Micra Diesel Ex.Showroom Price (Chennai)

• XV: Rs.6.45 Lakhs

• XV Premium: Rs.6.95 Lakhs
Nissan Micra - Diesel - Complete Shoot Out.jpg

Last edited:
Had not zinam , mention about the diesel heart , i would have taken time to realize its a diesel one.

Thanks for the ride man.
My first ever ride in a car - pre release.!!!

About rear seat , hope it was mentioned in petrol version test drive , its comfortable only for 2 , or is that i am used only for the driver seat?.

Zinam , showed its abs braking efficiency , i used to go with my mechanic for trial runs in car , he used to apply hard braking and tyre screech for micro seconds !- missed the sweet tone here.

Tyres , it had mrf ! and the 175 looks small in this , may be a wider one like a 205 profile will make the car look hot even more.

What surprised me is the boomerang design roof for aero dynamics! Noted this in this micra - though one petrol version have come for a break down , i didnt notice that.

Bubbly looks , how many of you like them , am confused!!

As usual cool pictures , and happy that i can find my car in the pictures too , hmm surendar's car too could be found in one of the picture.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks Ilango & Archit.

Yes, we have Alloys on Premium model. Its looks the same as petrol version.

Excellent report Zinam. Micra looks pretty in this color. I dont like the exteriors of this car, but the interiors look damn cute. I am still waiting to td Micra as soon as the Nissan dealership gets operational in Nagpur.

Thread Starter #11
No Probs guys! This is one exceptional diesel car which everyone should drive.

It is really an understated car, until you drive it.

AMG

Suspended
The price hike is applicable for both the petrol and diesel models of the Nissan Micra starting from 11th April 2011. The price hike is maximum to the tune of 2% and the petrol version would have its price hiked by 0.5% (Rs 2,500) whereas the diesel one would have a price hike by 2% which amounts to Rs 11,170.

Source: Indian Drives

Any further updates on this??
How is the car overall ? I heard that Nissan Micra diesel is the most fuel efficient car currently in market ? People are getting 24+ in City driving conditions and 27-28 on highway..
Also, maintaince charges are also reseonable..

Top Bottom