New Volkswagen Phaeton?

^^I thought the original price was around 75 lacs and now its available for as low as 51 lacs. One of my friend's dad was planning to change his W203 C class, and main contenders were BMW 530d, Volvo S80 D5,MERC 350 CDI and Jag XF, is now considering this too as after the price revision Phaeton is falling is same price range.

I saw this car in the showroom when I went to take delivery of my Vento. That was in Dec. Phaeton got really got features but doubt it will beat the S class, 7 series and A8.

Will cost around 80L - 1C when asked in Dec.

Here are the pics

Attachments

^^You are right, this thing can't beat the S, A8 or 7 but at the kind of price its offered currently, it makes immense sense for someone who can live with an understated car like this. This thing failed to fair in the Indian market because the Indian luxury car space is driven by snob value, Volvo is another vicitim of same phenomenon. Irrespective of the fact they offered some very nice, technologically advanced car but failed to make mark for themselves as they lacked the face value of luxury german brands.

Wow that is some discount! I will definitely prefer this car with such a discount if i had the money! Even i have experienced the Phaeton when i went the showroom once along with my friend for booking Vento.

Volkswagen India Slips In Diesel Powered Phaeton.

Volkswagen launched the Phaeton in India a few years back, as the company was focusing at building its brand identity in the country. With more competent vehicles like the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Audi A8, BMW 7-Series and Jaguar XJ in the segment, the Volkswagen Phaeton failed to sell in decent numbers and did not make an impact at all. This prompted Volkswagen to clear left over inventory by selling the car for a massive Rs. 25 lakhs discount. The problem was the not with the Phaeton at all.

The problem was the choice of engine offered to the Indian luxury car buyer. India being a diesel loving country did not get a diesel-powered Phaeton. Instead a 3.6-litre petrol engine was plonked into the Phaeton but now Volkswagen seems to have made amends. The company has quietly launched a diesel version of the Phaeton, which is powered by a 3.0-litre, V6, diesel engine. This TDI motor produces 237 BHP of peak power at 4000 RPM and 500 Nm of peak torque between 1500-3500 RPM. This results in a 0-100 km/h time of 8.3 seconds and a top speed of 237 km/h. The oil burner is paired to a 6-speed automatic transmission.

Volkswagen has not revealed the pricing of the diesel Phaeton but we feel the company will import one for you should you be interested. Being a CBU, Volkswagen doesn’t have to worry about volumes and thus there has been no promotional campaign for the flagship VW. The Volkswagen Phaeton is loaded with features such as 4-MOTION, Bi-xenon headlamps, air-suspension and 18-way adjustable seats to name a few. However that is not enough to make the vehicle sell and the Phaeton is not in much demand anywhere in the world.

Volkswagen India Slips In Diesel Powered Phaeton | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

^^ Even Jetta petrol older version had big discounts when new one arrived. Wonder why VW is behaving this way, especially when Audi is doing well, which is owned by them.
Actually, VW should stay in Vento-Jetta area, Skoda in Fabia to Rapid and Audi from 20+L onwards, i.e. A4 and above. Else VW will be eaten up by Audi at higher end, as it is now. And once A3 comes, I doubt even Jetta & Superb will be under pressure.

Top Bottom