New Tyres for Alto Lxi

MICHELIN XM2 or BRIDGESTONE TURANZA ER-60?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Hi friends,

My Alto's stock tyres (Size: 145/80 R12 Make:Apollo Amazer) have done close to 25,000 kms (80% city & 20% highway) and have done a decent enough job. The service advisor at MAS opined that tyres are good enough for another 5,000kms. But off late I have experienced flat tyre situation on my previous 2 long drives [frustration]

At this point of time, would appreciate TAI's valuable suggestions on the following-
  • Is it a wise decision to change the shoes for my car now or wait till 30,000 kms?
  • If I need to change the tyre, is it ok for me to upgrade to R13 size tyres from the OEM R12 size? Will it have any adverse affect on suspension as I would have to increase the height to avoid body scrapping at full load.
  • One more option am exploring is instead of R13, go for 155/70 R12 sized tyre.
  • Is Michellin a good option for change over?
@ Mods, hope the post is under appropriate category.

Hey buddy first go through this tyre size calculator and choose your correct upsize such that the difference is very minimal. Tire size calculator

I would say if your tyres are good enough to last another 5k KMS then keep them. Upsizing wont be a problem if it is done wisely and the appropriate size is chosen. Michelin is a good brand if you are seeking more comfort and willing to spend more.

I don't know about Alto but my friend has a Verna running on 16inch alloys! I hardly felt any difference in ride quality between mine and his car. My car has 14inches alloy.

Upgrading will lead to wrong reading to odo, speedometer and decrease FE because they are already calibrated with OEM. This will increase better road contact, enable to slightly better braking in high speed. Riding comfort will automatically increased with better tyres viz. Michelin XM1+, Pireli, Turanza or Yoko etc. 12" is available from Michelin for Alto probably not from others. it may also requires spacers.

Is it a wise decision to change the shoes for my car now or wait till 30,000 kms?
If you are not facing any major problem then wait for another 5k kms

If I need to change the Tyre, is it OK for me to upgrade to R13 size treys from the OEM R12 size? Will it have any adverse affect on suspension as I would have to increase the height to avoid body scrapping at full load.
R13 will be good, but do not go for more wider tires. It will not affect suspension, I have seen many altos,zen upgraded from R12 to R13
Adding steeper will help you.
Upgrading will lead to wrong reading to odo but get that corrected at any local mechanic or ask the Tyre dealer it self.

PS:If you decide upgrading then you need to purchase 5 tires

One more option am exploring is instead of R13, go for 155/70 R12 sized tyre.
This might result in slight increase in width which might cause scratching problem i.e car body scratching tire edge.

Is Michellin a good option for change over?
Yes Michelin XM1+ is best option, R12 will cost you about 10,800 for 4

Check upsizes on the tyre calculator on the link posted by cooldhaya.

If you make the right upsize, There will be little or no speedo error.

I too own an Alto and I'm running size 165/60 R12 Yokohama A539. (Also note that the A539s are not that great compared to its competition.) Its giving false speedo readings as the profile has been lowered. Ride quality is not that much of an issue. Pros are better cornering and braking capabilities along with better stability at high speeds. The only regret that have is that I should have gone for size 13".

If you are planning on going for an upsize to 13", Go for size 155/70 R13s, It wont make much difference in the ride quality if you are worried of it that much. In this case your speedo will be erratic to the tune of 1.9 Kms for every 100 Kms. As in it will be showing 100 Kmph when you are actually doing 101.9 Kmph and it will read out that you have run 100 Kms when you have actually done 101.9 Kms. Well thats not much I guess.

Another option is to go grab a set of Bridgestone Potenzas 165/60 R13s. They are the among the best and have excellent road grip, Braking and wet weather traction. One of our members, Eyedocsri has got them on his K10. I too have used the Potenzas in the 165/60R12 size. I'd go for it anyday compared to another brand.

Hope everyone's inputs help and now its your choice to make.[:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12

akit

Suspended
If you are going for a new hatch don't change the tyres. If not can go for Bridgestone or MRF which last really long on Indian roads and go for stock size.

I think the best option is 155\70. Handling will increase a lot. You can go for bridge-stone costs you 2300 rs each. Me too have upgraded my tyres from 145\60.

Michelin XM2 or Bridgestone Turanza ER60?

I plan to change the tyres 145/80R12 of my Alto LX. I have shortlisted Michelin XM2 and Bridgestone Turanza ER-60. Although I prefer XM2, some online reviews say that their sidewalls are not tough and are susceptible to damage if we hit a pothole or stones. Whereas ER-60 is ideal for Indian conditions, tough, but lacks the comfort and ride quality of XM-2. My conditions are: should have comfort, good road grip in wet/dry conditions, less noise and fuel efficient. XM-2 is quoted at Rs.3000 and ER-60 at Rs.2900 per tyre at Kochi. Which one should I prefer?

Top Bottom