New TVS Victor (2016): 15,000 Kms Ownership Experience

Thread Starter #16
Nice review. I didn’t think TVS would have such poor after sales support as I have heard only good things about them. However I guess it depends on the dealer.

Nowadays I drive auto gears scooter (Hero Maestro Edge) for my daily office commute as it is much more comfortable in traffic conditions. However the biggest issue is the reduced mileage. My daily commute is around 20 Kms total.

TVS has been doing a great job last few years, but now TVS has started pushing out defective products.

I also remember one of the spare parts dealer calling my new Victor a "failure bike" when I was hunting for an engine guard.

I never thought I would be this much disappointed that within 18k kms on odo, I would have the steering cone kit going Kaput and making me set back by 1k (approx).

I also suspect the skill set of the so called TVS trained technicians by the way they have worked to resolve my problem.

Now, everything is clear. I have been pushed with a defective bike and the TVS mechanics haven't worked on my previous complaints effectively.

I could have gone for a Honda CB Unicorn 150 cc, by spending another 22 grans and that would have given me a peace of mind.

Regards
Kumar

Nice review. I didn’t think TVS would have such poor after sales support as I have heard only good things about them. However I guess it depends on the dealer.

Nowadays I drive auto gears scooter (Hero Maestro Edge) for my daily office commute as it is much more comfortable in traffic conditions. However the biggest issue is the reduced mileage. My daily commute is around 20 Kms total.

And scooter of course is a better option in Chennai. I am in Avadi, and my wife uses a 2014 Activa now for 4 years without much problem, but for some vibration in the frontal panel, which is quite common for scooterettes.

She gets a mileage of 52+ kmpl in City, and her movement mainly is to commute both my kids to school and back, go shopping in and around Avadi (for buying veg & fruits, not the regular shopping [lol]).

SVM Honda Avadi now does a good job and I have my 3rd AMC for her Activa with SVM, though a couple of years their service quality was not that good. Now they have come a long way in exceeding customer expectation and delight.

Since I do a daily 50 km up and down (2 way = 50 km), I don't think my back will be comfortable with a below par suspension system in the regular Activa 110 (pre 3G version).

bhvm

Honoured Member
Even I drive the humble Activa. Apart from Being gearless, The underseat storage, wider seat and having comfortable place to keep Feet flat is a major Pluses in my view. Even sitting on A scoot is much easier than say Making that Ninja Kick style pose with one leg when mounting a Horse... Err Bike.

I believe just like Sales for Automatic cars are picking up with increasing Traffic hassle, Scooter segment will gain more Root than bikes, Atleast for pure city use.

About the mileage, Well with the "Acchey din" These days, the running cost of Bike today (even with Increased mileage) Is now more than Running Cost of a scooter 3~4 years ago. So its all psychology. Dont know where will petrol go from here. 100 Looks ready on the horizon. Its better to stop thinking on all this as it does not help.

Thanks a lot once again BHVM for your continued support.

By the way, I don't see many people having read this blog. Perhaps our members are not interested in a budget two wheeler review...[cry].

Regards
Kumar
I am sure There are many silent watchers on this tread, But are not making their presence felt.

p.s- Wow!. 2 replies meanwhile I was composing this post.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #18
Finally, 9th paid service (24 months - 24000 kms one), actually done in 21,375 kms, has been completed as of yesterday.

Regular oil change done. Bill - Rs. 290.00 - 11.00 discount on AMC (5% on spare and consumable).

This ends my first AMC with Vijai Motors TVS.

Yesterday I also completed 2 full years with my TVS Victor.

Now the problem part,

The cone balls and steering cone was not replaced, rather it was adusted with a new grease pacing, as told by the mechanic.

H/L Doom noise hasn'r reduced much, I can still hear minute vibration after crossing 52 kmph, however little reduction in noise has been noticed.

Regarding the tight handle bar issue, I don't think the issue has been resolved as 100% complete.

I can still feel some vibration in the fork part on the smallest undulations in the road, a thud thud kind of sound, along with a tuk-tuk sound on using the front disc brake.

I have told mechanic that I will ride for a week with this, say a 250 km, and then confirm the resolution status.

As of now, I don't think either of the issues have been completely solved.

Vijai Motors TVS got a feedback form signed from me while delivering the vehicle yesterday, where I gave them a 6/10 rationg, which is (just good), for the sake of giving, not with heart.

Even in the job card, I have written and mentioned, 'problem not resolved completely, will be confirmed in a week'.

Now I have only two options left for the fork issue,
> Either live with the vibrating fork or adjust it again and have a tight handle.
> Or replace the cone bals and stering cone at my own expense, along with additional labour.

And for the H/L doom vibration at 52 kmph, I don't foresee any further resolution and I need to live with that very minute and negligible kind of vibration noise. I will be ok if I am keeping the speed within 50-52 kmph, which I normally do since after 54 kmph on speedo, the red light glows which says Power Mode and the engine is gulping in more fuel, which I am not happy with [;)]

I will keep this thread updated with my user experience with the bike and I am sure, at least one person would be benefited with my updations.

Thanks and have a nice day all.

Regards
Kumar

The next couple of challenges I have are :

> rusting rear number plate (photo will be shared soon), which I have to get a new number plate with a good quality and replace this old rusted one - small expense though.
> AMC...... Vijai Motors were earlier giving 2nd year AMC, but now they say they've stopped giving AMC's for second year bikes, (excluding 1 year of free services). I am not sure if they want to avoid giving me one more AMC and invite troubles [glasses]

I also have one SVS MOTORS TVS in Ambattur near OT bus stand and I have to check with them. My next service will be due somewhere after 20th December 2018, with a probable odo reading of 24500 kms, I guess.

I am worried about this since when out of AMC, I was told that I have to pay a Rs. 830.00 for labour alone and oil & spares etc, additional, which would make my every service bill to hover between INR 1100-1200, which would be on the higher side. Moreover, I have an extended warranty which I have paid 350.00 while purchasing the bike and this has an additional 3 years warranty, and will be valid only if I keep servicing my bike at regular intervals in TVS Authorised Service Centres only. Interval is either every 3000 kms or 3 months from previouls service, whichever is earlier. So as per this calculation, I would have to shell out around Rs. 4500.00 to 4800.00 every year to maintain this bike, excluding insurance and fuel cost, which sounds exorbitant.

I get my Santro Xing serviced for Rs. 2650.00 (last service bill amount), per year with an FNG, which sounds way cheaper..[surprise]

Let's see and I have my fingers crossed to hear about the next year AMC updates.

Regards
Kumar

Thread Starter #19
Took the bike to Vijai TVS once again, for adjustment.

Mechanic Ajay, had the fork adjusted once again, and then the ride was better than before, there were minimal fork sounds such as tuck tuck, while riding and the handle bar was more free than before. However, both sides, handle bar steering and fork sound, couldn't be satisfactorily resolved to 100%.

I guess TVS lacks skill set in their mechanics.

When the mechanic confirms that the steering cone kit is fine, fork is fine, and every other related spare part is working fine, then it should only be the adjustment part, am I right ?

Then why on earth, TVS Motors have dealers that appoint skill less mechanics and technicians to work on their products.

Overall, the ride is better now, steering is free than before and the fork nosie has considerably reduced on ride.

Hence crunching my miles ahead.

I was considering Victor over other bikes as it seems to be perfect on paper and online review as far as specs and features are concerned. So I was wondering if Victor is such a good bike then why are its sales poor as compared to other bikes [which are bare basic in features in comparison to Victor]. After reading your review, it think that may be problems like what you have highlighted like very short 2nd gear, rusting of parts, vibration etc are the reason.

Maybe I should consider other bikes as well like Discover 125, Star City+ etc.

I was considering Victor over other bikes as it seems to be perfect on paper and online review as far as specs and features are concerned. So I was wondering if Victor is such a good bike then why are its sales poor as compared to other bikes [which are bare basic in features in comparison to Victor]. After reading your review, it think that may be problems like what you have highlighted like very short 2nd gear, rusting of parts, vibration etc are the reason.

If you are looking in 125cc category go for honda shine .

Thread Starter #22

Well SS53,

Let me explain.

Rusting is only with the rear number plate and not with any vehicle part. Number plate is only yhe accessory.

Short 2nd gear, might be a problem with my bike alone since I had clutch issue right from day 1 of ownership - Suggestion for this challenge - Test Drive a TD Victor bike from any showroom, request a longer test drive, slow down from 4th cog suddenly, downshift to 2nd, and try to pick from the slowest speed say 8-10 kmph, and see. May be my bike was an unlucky one since it was from the initial batches (BS III engine).

Fork and steering problem - shouldn't be a problem with every Victor. Luck plays a role and also the way you handle undulation and potholes on the road. I am bad with that [frustration] though.

Believe me with the above said issues and aweful A.S.S., I still enjoy every km in my Victor. It makes me forget my personal tensions as well, when early morning I ride in the breeze to my office.

I bet, you'll be happy and safe with its sharp stopping power.

Now the choice is yours. Read the above pointers once again, and decide. Mine is only an ownership experience and yours needn't be necessarily similar.

Happy Biking. Please keep me posted what you decided upon.

P.S.: Honda Shine CB - SP (5 gear version) would be a nice pick at about 75k in Chennai if you ride on by pass and highways as well. If 95+% city, then Shine 4 speed can be considered.

And yes, Star City + is another option, where you save around 7,500.00 bucks, but no Tachometer, very normal seat unlike Victor, no 20 second idling indicator, no service reminder (I guess), and I am not sure if Disc brake has been optioned in Star City +, I think no.

But bike is good, really good.

When I selected Victor, my other open option was Star City + with While Colour and Golden rims coisting 57500 OTR Chennai (the variant which Prabhu Deva and some cricketeer market in ads in Dhotis).

Thread Starter #23
Victor has started giving some teething issues :

> Front fork noise. One knowledgeable person suggested me to have the steering cone kit replaced.
> FE dropped from 65 kmpl to 60 kmpl, and that too in just 22,500 kms and 2 years of usage.

Very sad on the above two.

Front fork noise - If you have a reliable mechanic alone you do , else leave it as it is , as improper adjustment or replacement can cause you major issues , like side pulling , handle not turning properly etc.

Fuel economy - Check with Spark plug , Air filter and fuel valve +Fuel lines. Major case , check with carburettor.

Thread Starter #25
You are right Vishnu. I am afraid to hand it over to any mechanic now.

One mechanic in my regular ASC VIJAY MOTORS Avadi, tried it and he succeeded in arresting the fork sound completely, believe me any pothole I throw the bike, no sound would come from fork, BUT BUT BUT
the handle bar steering experience would be very very tight, that tight that in b2b traffics, I start feeling tired of steering and turning.

That mechanic now says, it is either A or B, i.e., if I want the handle bar to turn free, I have to live with the fork noise. If I want ZERO fork noise, I have to live with a tight handle bar turns. And he gave the choice of previlege to me.[frustration]

Now, I have a question since you appear to be a techy person,

One of my neighbours, who has 2 Star City bikes, one from 2006 I guess (the first version of STAR CITY , not STAR DLX) and one more, may be 2009-2010 Star City with a CVTi Engine, and has ridden the first bike for over 6 lakh kms in 13 years, states that the culprit in my bike must be a worn out Steering Balls Set (Steering Cone Kit) and would need a replacement (would cost around 6-700 bucks with labour in his opinion)

This friendly person also recommended a good ASC which is HMT Motors in Arumbakkam, Chennai, and also gave me the best mechanic from there's contact number and the owner's contatct number as well.

Planning to get it checked with that mechanic to get his opinion on the root cause of the problem. Then shall decide upon changing the cone kit or not.

Personally, I would like to know if changing the steering cone kit would help in any way.

Secondly, that friendly person told me that if I keep on riding with this tuck tuck sound in the fork, though it appears small, but would damage the fork system in the longer run and would lead to more expensive replacements and repairs. What do you feel about it?

Front fork noise - If you have a reliable mechanic alone you do , else leave it as it is , as improper adjustment or replacement can cause you major issues , like side pulling , handle not turning properly etc.

Fuel economy - Check with Spark plug , Air filter and fuel valve +Fuel lines. Major case , check with carburettor.

Spark Plug, Carburetter, Air Filter - will check. THough Air Filter and Spark Plug are due for replacement, but the mechanic recommended to change the two in next service as the bike hadn't covered the required 24000 kms in the last service (24 months service).

Where do I get to see the fuel valve and fuel lines..

Fuel valve- is it the control knob where I on / off or reserve the petrol ?

In Victor am not sure about fuel valve , you may consult the mechanic himself.

Regarding Ball&cone set-
You may change the Ball and cone set , but just suggest you to take a look into Front tyre , if it has uneven dulation or wear , first change that . Thing with front tyres is , it won't lose thread easily , but it gets bumpy over time , that can also cause fork issue like symptoms.

Check with tyre , and then if not satisfied , change ball & cone set .( anyways this requires trial and error )

Thread Starter #27
Completed 23000 kms on my Victorious Victor.

Issues till now:
> Jumping fork (with noise) on undulations in road and front H/L doom vibration post 52 kmph speed.
> Fluctuating mileage (sometimes below 60 also, however the past mileage average was around 65 kmpl).
> Non existent 2nd gear. Need first gear everytime to pick the vehicle up after slowing down in traffic. Pathetic transmission, any other Victor users facing this or is it a problem with only my bike? [confused]. Transmission way worse than my prior Splendor Plus 2005, which aaraam se used to pick in 2nd gear from any dead speed, > 5 kmph...

Need to hunt for an AMC as my next service is approaching in December end.

Thread Starter #28
Completed 2000 kms post last service done in September 25th 2018 or so.

Mileage has settled to around 58 kmpl now. Very sad to see it drop down from a whooping 65 kmpl I used to get all these two years.

I also suspect the petrol bunk babus to be culritting with petrol quantity every time I am filling now for Rs. 100.00.

2 possible reasons for mileage degrade:
> air filter and spark plug weren't replaced in the 24th month service in gone September, since the mechanic said the bike had done only 21378 kms at the time of service and it has to come to 24000 kms

OR

> petrol bunk theft in quantity.

Fingers crossed to see if the mileage figure ascends..

Never fill for 100 ,50 , make it in round figure 110, 60 etc , as in some pumps they keep a limit in dispensing (Just my thought ), i always fill for 120 or for car 1300 like that .(logic is absurd i know , but I really feel so ,as these days the pump guys know most fill for normal figures , as due to the fuel price). Try this method, and check mileage , then also no variation , try another pump , else we can rule as the issue is with mechanicals of bike.

Thread Starter #30
Thanks for the tip.

I always fill in volume (4 litres, 3 litres or to the minimum 1 litre) and not in 100/50, etc.

However, right now, phone pe is offering some heavy cashback like 35%, 40% cashbacks on every 100 rupee fills at certain outlets and hence this denominations.

I will try to find out some jugaad for this as well.

Regards
Kumar

Top Bottom