New TVS Victor (2016): 15,000 Kms Ownership Experience

I won't guarentee 100% perfection from any mechanic , but 80-85% perfection can be done . Let Mr.MD as well as technical crew do their job , give them chance , sometimes it may prove worthy .
But don't make your ride R&D mule.

Another thing is half the culprit is our roads , however "Indian "vehicles , the tarmac where they test is asphalt (perfect asphalt), perfect suspension bumps , Indian roads always have abnormally huge potholes and 75-80% layed out asphalts .

Thread Starter #50
Hi All

Yesterday, having been frustrated with fork sound, took it to HMT motors again, and the mechanic himself was out of clue on the root cause of the problem. He said he will check with the company and let me know by today evening. I spoke with the MD of HMT Motors, and he also said the same, and suggested me to leave my bike for a day, and let them open the fork and check.

Suddenly an unexpected twist / turning point happened in the story.

While crossing Padi at around 7.15pm in the evening, on the way back to home from office, I happened to see one Sri Lakshmi TVS, another TVS ASC in Chennai. I met the mechanic, who took his own sweet time to diagonise, analyse and do whatever he wanted to, and finally came to me with the below surprise / twist :

He explained that the culprit was not any part of the fork, as we all had been assuming all these years, but it is the brake pads in the front disc.

He explained, that the pads have gone loose, and every time I brake, the pads go and hit the disc at a higher force, which causes the sound every time I use the front disc brake in traffic and other scenarios.

Then I asked him "Then, what is the cause of the sound when I negotiate a pothole or a bump ?"

His answer was astonishing "Even when you hit a pothole, and the fork is actioning aggressively, the brake system in front received the feedback, and probably this is why it makes the same sound while encountering potholes and bumps as well"

This highlighted part alone, I am not convinced since as far as I know, there shouldn't be any involvement or action or feedback from the brake system when the fork is actioning on potholes and undulations on the road.

Has anyone of my readers experienced this or at least heard of this - i.e., undulations impacting the brake system in front (disc brakes).

Coming to the resolution part, the mechanic said that he tried adjusting the brake pads, but in vain, and the brake pads need replacement and the sound will be arrested, which he sounds sure about.

The cost estimate is around 250-300 for brake pads and some minor labour (should be a 50 or 100 bucks), which would work out to around 350 to 400. I really don't mind spending this 400, in case the issue is with brake system, as I don't want to risk my life with brakes.

At the same time, I am still now sure if the findings by the mechanic of Sri Lakshmi TVS is right. If he is right, I would definitely reward the ASC by taking an AMC and giving them the contract to maintain my vehicle for the entire year for having identified the correct root cause.

But, also am worried if my bike would become an R&D mule, since I have already spent around 1000 bucks for the front fork oil, cone kit steering and labour for fork work, just because of the mis judgement by HMT Motors on the cause of the problem.

In case, the identified root cause (as brake system), also goes wrong, then another 400 at stake only. Fingers crossed. [sad]

Readers - pls suggest your opinions.

Thanks and Regards
Kumar

Thread Starter #52
Mechanic seemed to be "listening" to my problem, which TVS mechanics very barely do. And whilst listening to me, kept on moving the bike forward and applying disc brake, simultanously for some 10-15 times, which shows that he is religiously trying to detect and analyse the problem. I felt good.
Mechanic then did a test ride, took it into the service area and came back after some 15 minutes with the root cause of brake system.

Any ways I have already done 26400+ kms with these brake pads, and spending some 350-400 bucks on these wear and tear prone brake pads shouldn't go vain, as they may potentially improve braking performance.

And if the identified problem gets resolved completely, believe me I would love my bike more, and never even think of parting with it.

All other issues like H/L doom mild vibration after 52 kmph, notchy transmission box, etc, I can live with. The only sore in the throat is this thuk thuk sound ( I won't call it a fork sound or fork noise hence forth, at least for sometime now) [angry].

Have decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

Fingers crossed for results...

Thread Starter #53
Completed 11th Paid Service at a different service centre Sri Lakshmi TVS - PADI in Chennai.

Mechanic replaced the front disc brake pads for Rs. 280.00 + Rs. 55.00 labour.

Within 20 kms of ride, I got the same sound back.

Have raised a grievance with TVS.

TVS Service Engineer from TVS Motor Company has assured resolution at the earliest.

This Friday evening, will be handing over my bike to them for repair.

Top Bottom