New Trend in India For Purchasing Cars

I agree on this point of brand preference but that is different topic, we can start another thread to discuss the same.
It's not about the brand alone. People are more concerned about the combination of brand + performance + features.

Fiat Linea - Good at performance + loaded with features but did't sell for it's brand
Hyundai Verna - Comparatively on the downside of handling (I don't call it a poor handler) + loaded with features and selling like hot cake

If current Honda City (loaded with features) wasn't tuned well for performance (be it the power or R&H characteristics) couldn't get too many potential buyers here. Take the top selling vehicles in the market, de-tune them for the lower performance and add more features to them, I bet there will be a change in sales figures.

What market wants is not a car with loaded features, all that it wants is a good performer with loaded features. Priority for the performance and dynamics still ranks above the features.

Thread Starter #17
What market wants is not a car with loaded features, all that it wants is a good performer with loaded features.
Market wants everything, a good design, loaded with features, powerful yet efficient (read mileage) engines, good handling ride quality and everything at a lower cost. But, we don't get everything in a single car! We don't have such car here! Some will ride well but lack in design & features, and there are such endless combinations.

Priority for the performance and dynamics still ranks above the features.
You are at the topic now. This is the point of discussion in this thread. So, you feel that buyers still give preference to the performance over design & features, which is a good sign I would say.
I have observed different trend! Looking at the responses, looks like some TAIgers too have seen this change of priorities for some buyers.

Let's see what others feel?

^^ As I said, proportion will be 50/50(give or take). I can give n number of examples where people fell for design and a lot who sacrifice features for ride/handling.

After all, it is individual perception and whatever satisfies them, they gonna buy. Even if we try to educate them, they will not listen, as decision was made by heart rather than mind when it comes to car for those people.

You are at the topic now.
I was never off-topic and it took ages for you to understand it[evil]

Basic change point in market / product is
those days:
Features - standard across most brands / cars
Performance - Varies

these days:
Performance - almost similar
features - varies

this is why people consider feature list when selecting the car, but the priority towards performance remains same.

Thread Starter #20
I was never off-topic and it took ages for you to understand it
Discussing the Brand loyalty or being biased to particular brand was not the intension of this topic. I agree that brand do come into the picture, while selecting the new Car & why not! But then, there are many other aspects that buyers consider like network/ASS/maintenance etc.
Lets keep it simple here, 'Features & Design' Vs 'Performance' just too see if trend is changing.
Thanks for your opinion and I second to you on the performance first, then other stuff. But, lets garner other votes depending upon individual experiences.

these days:
features - varies
Performance (outright acceleration or power output) might be same in some cases (where common engine or technology is shared across cars), but ride quality & handling differ in some cases!

Nowdays there is a change in the transmission preference too, earlier people were reluctant in choosing automatics over manual gearbox due to various reasons. but nowdays automatics are catching up.

They're lot more fun to drive than manual counterparts, especially a DSG automatic.

Most of the buyer make their decision based on mileage, reliability/good service, design/look, and trouble free ownership/peace of mind.

Performance and handling is definetly a criteria to select the car. All these form the basic requirements. In my opinion these criteria have not changed much through out the years.Features are important but basic parameters have higher level of influence.Almost everybody compromise on the requirements to make a final decision. Brand name remains one of the top influencer in decision making

In early days with word of mouth, people were aware of the issues in car models and made wise choice. For example when Sumo was preferred choice for Tourist segment, it was known that high speed driveability was not good and later on this segment switched to other reliable models.Also it was known that the Indica V1 model had wheel alignment problem resulting in tyre wear. In today's world with so much information available at the tip of the finger, people are well aware of existing models and features and issues.

All decisions are a compromise based on personal requirements. For example even though a person would be aware of Verna high speed dynamics, he could choose the model as all his other requirements are met and he may be a sedate driver.

I don't think any buyer decides on the car based on features only, but prefers to select a model which meets all basic requirements but gives more feature for least cost (VFM).

The only worrisome trend is that not many are ready to invest in saftey features like ABS, EBD, Airbags etc. even today.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
The only worrisome trend is that not many are ready to invest in saftey features like ABS, EBD, Airbags etc. even today.
Absolutely right and just yesterday I was discussing with my uncle regarding the same thing in context of new Swift Face-lift Vxi. In the name of safety this car is "zero" in my honest opinion but uncle said there would surely be buyers for it no matter how few. For the herd of buyers with the mentality that you mentioned, the only thing that matters is how much mileage and what are the dealer discounts.

Regards

Akash

Nowdays there is a change in the transmission preference too, earlier people were reluctant in choosing automatics over manual gearbox due to various reasons. but nowdays automatics are catching up.

They're lot more fun to drive than manual counterparts, especially a DSG automatic.
You are right max_demon, the market is shifting at a very fast pace in favour of automatic transmissions. Maruti Suzuki is going to launch the Alto K10 AT in a few days. It expects 50% of its total sales coming in way of Automatic cars within the next few of years. Already 40% of Celerio's sold in the market today are ATs.

Last edited:
The data trend over the last 10yrs shows one thing. Maruti,Maruti, Maruti and then the rest.
So,what have they done right? Generally trouble free cars, for a large part petrol, and till very recently (JD Power) the best ASS and the widest ASS
Safety? Not a priority
Performance-Not really
Mileage-perhaps
Ride and Handling-apart from the swift not best in class
Looks-well some good ,some ugly/boxy
So, it seems the clever Indian buyer has trouble free, affordable motoring as his number 1 concern.
Now with the AMT and optional airbags at v reasonable prices (not sure yet of the new Alto AMT sticker price) they seem to be reading the customer aspirations correct again.
However, if as per JD power their ASS is slackening things could change v fast.
Jai Hind for the sensible Indian buyer. (If only safety were part of govt regulations for ALL levels of cars!)

One thing is for sure and I have seen & experienced it, that is Maruti Suzuki cars score & sell on these points
1. VFM Tag, All thier cars are VFM because they are priced attractively and offer some unique things like (AMT in Celerio, Trendy Styling in case of Swift, Tall Boy design for easy ingress/ egress in case of WagonR etc)
2. They offer cars for customers at tempting prices and discounts on each and every product. This makes the customer 50% satisfaction towards the brand. Remaining is all post ownership experience.
3. They have largest Dealership & After Sales Network. That is the biggest achievement Maruti has made and is the most key contributor to its sales & market share.
4. Peace of Mind is something that every one experiences when they buy Maruti Cars.

I think these are the very key factors that customers look for & get them in Maruti Products.

Conclusion - Reliability, Excellent After Sales, VFM Products make Maruti Suzuki what they are today.

This is the trend that majority of Indian's follow when buying cars.

I have seen a different trend from last 2 years on the factors that are considered while buying a new Car.

Some of the usual questions those were asked say 5-6 years back:

1. Mileage (Kitna deti hai?) 2. Power 3. Ride quality 4. Acceleration 5. Build quality 6. Handling 7. Design 8. Features (limiting to power windows/power steering/AC)

Now almost a reverse trend is seen:

1. Mileage (kitna deti hai?) Boss, this is India [;)]
2. Features (all gizmos)
3. Design
and then other parameters follows.

What surprises me is the basic DNA of the car (handling, ride quality , performance) is given lesser weightage than the looks & feature list.
There are some exceptions as always, but mostly the above trend!
What does a TAIger think? Do you observe similar trend?
Generalization.

As far as 'features' is concerned, majority of car sales outside TIER 1 cities are non top end models. That's why TATA and Mahindra have upped their game to make inroads in big cities. Zest and New Scorpio are loaded to target Urban youth.

If 'design' was criteria Maruti Suzuki's small cars will not find any takers, their cars below Swift are UGLY. Wagon R, Estillo, New Alto etc are one of most hideous cars on Indian roads.

What works in India is word-of-mouth marketing, buyers very heavily influenced by mechanics. Perceived risk is a biggest factor in decision making, India is not a rich country. Age of the brand in the marketplace/knowledge about a brand/visibility/satisfaction stimulate word of mouth.

these days:
features - varies
Performance (outright acceleration or power output) might be same in some cases (where common engine or technology is shared across cars), but ride quality & handling differ in some cases!
Mr. Boss has said it right.
Performance in all cars are 'similar' today. Any car you choose will give you a minimum decent performance, which is good enough for the public.
When you say Verna's performance is not as good as Fiesta's, it doesn't mean Verna's performance is bad. In certain aspect, it is just a small point below that of Fiesta.
Once they know that performance is above the pass mark for all cars, next obvious thing to look and compare is the feature list, rt.

PS: Most of the cars are bought in cities like Mumbai, Delhi etc. For standing in the traffic, does any one need a car with 100 bhp and one which zooms from 0 to 100 in 0.01 seconds? :)

Thread Starter #30
Thanks Folks for your views.
Few felt that features/design/space is given more importance by some people than performance, while others feel its still the other way round (and this is what it should be).

The thread was started simply to see if the priority is changing i.e features/design/space over performance/ride/handling?

Let's modify the scope of discussion, looking at the responses.
Let's add everything i.e Manufacturer, Transmission, Fuel type, ASS, Maintenance, Category (hatch/sedan/MUV/SUV). And lets see what is current trend according to you!

@max_demon & @ajit4u2k: Right, many people are preferring for auto transmission. Reasons being;
1. Easy & hassle-free driving in traffics, which is getting worse everywhere
2. Unlike earlier (duel clutch-old) generation Auto cars, newer ones have better mileage. Some auto cars (Sunny, Scala) even have better mileage over their respective manual transmission types
3. Automatic doesn't cost too high now (read AMT)

So, which auto box is preferred more? I mean DSG or CVT or AMT? Off course they are offered in different segment, so difficult to judge.

@nishant5858: Well said over Maruti as a brand, this brand gives peace of Mind. Maruti has always manufactured budget cars to suit to Indian needs, but now with the strong competition they are changing themselves. Ciaz is a example, and S-Cross, Vitara looks promising.

@JohnyBoy: You are right, normal people may not be able to utilize full potential of a car (power) in a stop n Go traffic. But, we enthusiasts will always find a way to enjoy the powerful ride [;)]

Last edited:

Top Bottom