All-New Tata Safari (Gravitas) Launched

A new add posted by the Tata Motors official channel.
what is the motive behind this?

Safari coming back
Aa all new safari?
Gravitas to be named as Safari?
Upgraded Safari storm with 2.2 lit Varicor engine?

Here is the add

Thread Starter #62
Gravitas called Safari is very bad option. Ssafari is known for its rugged off road capability gravitas not offering 4x4 will be downgrading of safari brand, more over, there is nothing to separate from the Harrier save the
1. 2 front facing seats
2. Electronic hand brake
3. presumably all disc brakes

Infact harrier will have the most desired famed Parnoramic sunroof, where as Gravitas may only get after market "child popping" sunroof. So desirablity wise it still will be Harrier over Gravitas. Unnecessary branding of Safari will be waste of brand. Plus when XUV500 2021 will be launched, it will beat this vehicle to death. Why waste Safari brand.

Gravitas called Safari is very bad option. Ssafari is known for its rugged off road capability gravitas not offering 4x4 will be downgrading of safari brand, more over, there is nothing to separate from the Harrier save the
1. 2 front facing seats
2. Electronic hand brake
3. presumably all disc brakes

Infact harrier will have the most desired famed Parnoramic sunroof, where as Gravitas may only get after market "child popping" sunroof. So desirablity wise it still will be Harrier over Gravitas. Unnecessary branding of Safari will be waste of brand. Plus when XUV500 2021 will be launched, it will beat this vehicle to death. Why waste Safari brand.

I think we might see 4X4 gravitas version dubbed as Safari edition or they might use the platform, engine and redesign the top hat a bit or
an altogether a new car to compete with XUV500 with all the desired features including:

4X4 - already used in Safari and Hexa
2.2 ltr engine - the older 2.2 varicor with BS6 upgrade
ADAS - New thing is required- can it be borrowed from JLR
5 star rating - 2.2 ltr will make it happen easily if rumors about 2ltr MJD issue is true
DCT gear box or Auto from Hexa - already available

All in all - a mix of three vehicles or their own parts bin
Platform from Harrier
Engines from Hexa & Safari
Auto tranny from Hexa & Safari

Any thoughts?

Thread Starter #64
What you have said is the way to go for Tata for bringing real safari on road. However, it might take 2022 or 23 to see it in showrooms. Most probably they will do
1. Call the Gravitas as Safari Gravitas. with same set up as Harrier. Which is a bad way to go. Gravitas is already dead on Arrival since pricing will first impare it, then when XUV500 gets launched it will be death blow to Gravitas.
2. Hexa Safari edition will be breaking covers again though i am not big fan of Hexa safari brand name, still it may have that 4x4 system and tried and tested and loved autobox by ZF. So that way it will still be some where close to safari. Who know hexa may also get panoramic sunroof which will make it moredesirable than Gravitas.

All in all i feel gravitas will be sitting duck for Hexa or XUV

UNLESS TATA comes with with some fantastic trick undersleeve
1. Pano sunroof
2. AWD
3. Fantastic Autobox
4. Vastly different interior than Harrier

Which will justify the cost difference and take the competition headon

Just a wild guess, is Tata hiding a trick up in its sleeve? Tata is building the momentum with using the Safari heritage.
Is Hexa safari edition with 4x4 AT, coming? Maybe along with the planned Altroz Turbo(DCT too) and rumored Gravitas launch, are we expecting a surprise?
Whatever it may be, it surely is not Safari that is coming back(please prove me wrong here Tata[:D]).

Just to think out loud and wild, another wild guess, is Tata coming up with a completely new SUV Concept, under the brand Safari?

New concept on Safari heritage at this point makes sense, Suvs are a rage, Tata products are being well accepted, and Tatas have a legacy with SUVs and also added benefits in product development from JLR expertise.

Officially teased by Tata Motors, production-spec Gravitas will be the New Safari

more from Insta

Screenshot_20210106123208026_com.instagram.android01.jpeg

Instagram post by Evo India's Sirish Chandran!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #67
Well, biggest bummer of the year just revealed.

Gravitas will be called SAFARI.

This vehicle will have 7 seats Check
this is on omega arc platform Check
Looks like Harrier UNCHECK
no AWD or 4x4 UNCHECK
No sunroof UNCHECK
no ADAS (which competition will have) UNCHECK
Price At par if not more than competition UNCHECK
New Looks No, Harrier looks just like this. infact its 7 seater harrier. UNCHECK

Wonder who in Tata wanted to kill a brand so royally. For all that matters Gravitas is /will be a sitting duck for Hector and XUV when they get launched. Why sacrifice safari for that?

One step forward two steps backward for tata.

Well, biggest bummer of the year just revealed.

This vehicle will have 7 seats Check
this is on omega arc platform Check
Looks like Harrier UNCHECK
no AWD or 4x4 UNCHECK
No sunroof UNCHECK
no ADAS (which competition will have) UNCHECK
Price At par if not more than competition UNCHECK
New Looks No, Harrier looks just like this. infact its 7 seater harrier. UNCHECK

Wonder who in Tata wanted to kill a brand so royally. For all that matters Gravitas is /will be a sitting duck for Hector and XUV when they get launched. Why sacrifice safari for that?

One step forward two steps backward for tata.

Few thoughts to your list, just my thoughts no hard feelings[:)]

This vehicle will have 7 seats Check -----Good
this is on omega arc platform Check----Good
Looks like Harrier UNCHECK - third row and actually longer with different side and back profile. Even taller stepped roof same as original Safari. Safari Similarity- CHECK
no AWD or 4x4 UNCHECK - Platform is capable and can be done easily as Tata already got the hardware However what are sales numbers for 4X4?
No sunroof UNCHECK - I hear there would be one soon sunroof & moonroof will be saved for update when new XUV will appear
no ADAS (which competition will have) UNCHECK - remains Uncheck
Price At par if not more than competition UNCHECK - Price is the key that's why no 4X4 and Sunroof at launch
New Looks No, Harrier looks just like this. infact its 7 seater harrier. UNCHECK ---- answered

So if not Safari name for Gravitas then who? It will take at least 5 year to conceptualize & bring it to the market for an all new Safari, how we wanted or it should be when there will/might be no Market for ICE or diesel engines after 5 years and a model requires at least 4 to 5 years to sell for the RnD & development costs.

We all know EV's are coming and next gen cars will be EV's. Then would it be justified to give this moniker to an EV?

As far as competition is concerned. I think Mahindra will launch Scorpio first. which means this year in 2021. Safari will compete against

Hector Plus
Scorpio
Creta + (Seven seater)

XUV500 will come later this year or early next year only and will be priced higher than Safari in all respect with features.

Safari will have a whole year to prove itself and as we can surely expect it will be a niggle free product from day 1 wherein we cant say same about XUV500 with it new features.

I think its the right strategy for the place or fix the Tata motors is in.

What better could have done?

New Front Bumper and grill to differentiate
New Steering wheel
New infotainment System

Last edited:

Looks like Harrier UNCHECK - third row and actually longer with different side and back profile. Even taller stepped roof same as original Safari. Safari Similarity- CHECK
no AWD or 4x4 UNCHECK - Platform is capable and can be done easily as Tata already got the hardware However what are sales numbers for 4X4?
No sunroof UNCHECK - I hear there would be one soon sunroof & moonroof will be saved for update when new XUV will appear
Price At par if not more than competition UNCHECK - Price is the key that's why no 4X4 and Sunroof at launch
New Looks No, Harrier looks just like this. infact its 7 seater harrier. UNCHECK ---- answered

So if not Safari name for Gravitas then who? It will take at least 5 year to conceptualize & bring it to the market for an all new Safari, how we wanted or it should be when there will/might be no Market for ICE or diesel engines after 5 years and a model requires at least 4 to 5 years to sell for the RnD & development costs.

We all know EV's are coming and next gen cars will be EV's. Then would it be justified to give this moniker to an EV?

As far as competition is concerned. I think Mahindra will launch Scorpio first. which means this year in 2021. Safari will compete against

Hector Plus
Scorpio
Creta + (Seven seater)

XUV500 will come later this year or early next year only and will be priced higher than Safari in all respect with features.

Safari will have a whole year to prove itself and as we can surely expect it will be a niggle free product from day 1 wherein we cant say same about XUV500 with it new features.

New Steering wheel
New infotainment System
Frankly you explained it in Very Good manner.

I know no one wants Safari to get this kind of treatment but this is what Tata needed to do when they introduced Buzzard as Gravitas.

I was tweeting this to Mr. Pratap Bose and Tata tweeter account from a year. Call Buzzard as Safari because if they start working on Safari right now, it will be too late. Scorpio is still on sale vs Safari is not in production.

This platform is capable of Off road, but I don’t see many opt for 4x4 so doesn’t make any sense to invest in it.

I think this one will come with Sunroof at least and from back I feel like it look like Safari.

Anyways Better than never coz Safari brand was sent to cold storage by Tata and its better to have something as Safari rather than nothing.

Thread Starter #70

Hector Plus
Scorpio
Creta + (Seven seater)

New Steering wheel
New infotainment System
Exactly, gravitas renamed safari with same look as harrier is idiotic. Considerable changes were expected to front as well. Interiors sparing a few button wouldn't make vast difference between the two.

Now with.xuv the brand is very strong and people won't mind the gremlins.

Scorpio might also be super loaded and jazzy compared to even gravitas and priced in harrier segment.

So there harrier would be taken to task, when xuv comes it will blow gravitas away with superior.interiors and similar pricing and added bling

Last edited:
This name change perfectly working for Tata. I can see people are talking more about Gravitas is now rebadged as SAFARI everywhere.
Facebook, Tweeter, blogging sites, car enthusiasts sites, you name it and you will only see discussion about Gravitas renamed as SAFARI.
Even Launch of Fortuner getting less attention than only Name is changed to Safari.
I first saw Buzzard on Motor show and I shouted its SAFARI. Please name it as SAFARI, please! I felt like this one has to be Safari. Commented a lot on tweeter and FB for please name Buzzard as SAFARI in India but they came with name Gravitas and see what. Now my wish is full filled. Its S A F A R I.... So happy now.

However I feel sad when I see SAFARI, the Legend getting this kind of entry. That Brand has to get Band, Baja, Barat on entry but just one Tweeter post and youtube video and now we know Safari is the name of Harrier 7 seater. Surely Tata is looking at threads on automobiles sites, social media and they know Gravitas getting less attention. Only people who wants 7 seater family SUV are looking at it but again they are also searching for option like Hector Plus, upcoming Xuv500 & Scorpio 2021. Thats not good for Gravitas. So what to do? Of course after a long fight session at Tata headquarters in closed room they pressed this life line button. Rename it as SAFARI!!!
Because now competition is tough specially the coming modes like Scorpio and Xuv500 2021. Mahindra as always will fill the brochure with features you will never use in lifetime, never work properly. Their brochure is like some book. Features, features, features but most of the gizmos always fail. First two, three batches are lab rats for Mahindra. Just check out threads of Xuv500 original launch threads on automotive sites and now New one is coming with more bells and whistles!
One of the most talked one is ADS! I cannot imagine how they gonna do it when they cannot provide proper tyre-pressure monitoring system (friend of my friend was frustrated with that) and who will trust that ADS?
Don’t forget about Handling! Scorpio still rides like Boat, after 18 years. Went on journey in my friend’s 2019 scorpio and man, I puked. I never did this while travelling but I did that on that journey. I don’t see Mahindra will do anything about ride and handling. Owners know how it rides.
Another worst part is quality of material. Tata used supplier from Range Rover. Mahindra had Ssangyong but they never used anything good from that brand.
I also feel like it will be “SAFARI Gravitas”, they will use both names. Dignity (Gravitas) of Safari! Like Hexa Safari is edition.. and it will be less feature rich vehicle but it will be better than competition in Ride & Handling, Quality of material, comfort. Harrier is already shining in these departments.
I will choose this new SAFARI over upcoming Mahindra models. Reason is simple, this is extended Harrier so all the lab rat testing is already completed but for 2021 Mahindra launches it yet to be completed.
P.S.- I love both Mahindra and Tata. I want them to succeed. I was Mahindra lover but they never changed so started liking new Tata who is changing as per current situation.

Exactly, gravitas renamed safari with same look as harrier is idiotic. Considerable changes were expected to front as well. Interiors sparing a few button wouldn't make vast difference between the two.

Now with.xuv the brand is very strong and people won't mind the gremlins.

Scorpio might also be super loaded and jazzy compared to even gravitas and priced in harrier segment.

So there harrier would be taken to task, when xuv comes it will blow gravitas away with superior.interiors and similar pricing and added bling
I don't think that XUV will be priced the same as Safari or we might see some upgrades in Safari.

Few things which I heard that someone proposed in TATA:

Twin Turbo or Bi Turbo engines
4X4 on the fly - Independent suspension system from JLR self for the rear
Give new Grill as option/accesories like what Mahindra did with Thar and if possible new Bumper or Headlamps
Better infotainment system with AI integration
Multiple screens couple of them on Headrests like the original Safari.

From my side- If would be the project manager
I will start working on a new two Top of the line variant to compete with XUV 500. The things I'll do:

Project Name: Safari 2.2
From the existing hardware and know how to save money - less project cost
# Plonk 2.2 varicor BS6 from Hexa.
# 4X4 from older Safari and Hexa.
# New front Bumper and grill similar to Concept H5X with Full LED headlamps setup
# AI integration
# Some changes in Dashboard for Bigger touch screen

Tata if you are listening please think about these options.

or TATA can simply put a Safari body on Hexa chassis?

I don't think that XUV will be priced the same as Safari or we might see some upgrades in Safari.

Few things which I heard that someone proposed in TATA:

Twin Turbo or Bi Turbo engines
4X4 on the fly - Independent suspension system from JLR self for the rear
Give new Grill as option/accesories like what Mahindra did with Thar and if possible new Bumper or Headlamps
Better infotainment system with AI integration
Multiple screens couple of them on Headrests like the original Safari.

From my side- If would be the project manager
I will start working on a new two Top of the line variant to compete with XUV 500. The things I'll do:

Project Name: Safari 2.2
From the existing hardware and know how to save money - less project cost
# Plonk 2.2 varicor BS6 from Hexa.
# 4X4 from older Safari and Hexa.
# New front Bumper and grill similar to Concept H5X with Full LED headlamps setup
# AI integration
# Some changes in Dashboard for Bigger touch screen

Tata if you are listening please think about these options.
The 2.2 dicor is a longitudinal mounting engine, and the D8 is transverse mounting one. So you cant just put old 2.2 and its drivetrain in this chassis. Why will TATA spend on R&D to please 1% of the buying public?

World is changing and so are the manufacturers. Those who are stuck in past, are likely to go down. Nokia learnt lesson the hard way. And so did Blackberry.

If TATA really wants to do a 4X4 out of the Safari, easy way would be to do a hybrid system. With electric motor as rear differential. That would make the green brigade happy. Would also make 4X4 brigade happy.

Thread Starter #74
Now question for all,

We now know hector has revealed hector plus which is good strategy, people.know hector and wil accept hector plus as extension of hector. Top variant priced at 18.53ex showroom.

It will have
Ventilated seats
Jazzy 10inch touch screen
Fully digital instrument cluster
Auto dimming mirror
Pano sunroof
Front parking sensors
360 camera
Connect car tech like Call management, voice commands, tyre tronics, battery indicator

Now we accept that 4x4 and BoF is needed for only 1 % of buyers and not worth investing. but now these features though not used much will be bling needed by the normal buyers. Will Gravitas have atleast 10% of the above features? Price wise it will be at par if not more than to Hector plus. So theres is tough competition for the new car.

Look wise Safari will look same as Harrier from front. no new or unique look to differentiate and call it anything different than Harrier.
Like some one said, either here or on other forum, i dont remember but Tata have diluted both brands Safari and Harrier individually. Harrier can be Smaller safari or Safari can be Longer harrier.

Now to justify price difference between Harrier and Safari, they may do feature deletion in Harrier again which may not be appreciated.

All in all i am not so happy with this branding. Let see how it pans out and how it fares with competition

Top Bottom