New Shoes (Tyres) For Ford Fiesta Classic

Mods:- Bumping up the Old Thread, I apologize if this is not the correct section to post this, if it is not request you to move to appropriate thread and section.

Need help in deciding new tires for my car:-

Car Type : Ford Fiesta Classic Titanium
Fuel Type : Diesel
Car Purchased Date : Jan 2012
Stock Tires : MRF 175/65 R14 Plus Stock Alloys from Ford
KMs Run with Stock : 48K ( Ford Service person told can use it for another 3-4K)

New Tire Size Considered : 185/70 R14 OR 185/65 R14
Tyre Company : Not sure, confused [confused]. Need inputs.

Need of up sizing : Better Handling, Riding , Reduced road noise on highways and little bit Increased Ground clearance [:)]

As my usage has reduced I want to stick to 14" only, and also do not want to change the Rim and Alloys since it will be expensive affair.
Since usage is less these days, do not want to spend too much on new set of tires.

Looking into these criteria, can the elite members here suggest me which tires I need to consider and also help with which set of tires to consider and their Pros and Cons.

Also can any one let me know how does it makes a difference if I go with 185/65/14 or 185/70/14? [surprise]

I would always advise to stick to stock profile as though it may enhance ride experience ,the impact on body components will be felt in long run.
By 185/70/R14, 70 stands for Aspect ratio,that is 70%of 185mm(Width)

Hello Pradeep,

I will try to give some details about tyre upsize but not specific to your car. Take this as general information.

As per my quick research, I found three suitable upsizes for your car but you have to decide which is better for you or for your car. 185/60 R14, 185/65 R14 & 195/60 R14. 185/70 R14 would be too big (More then 3% error) so take that size out of your list.

185-XX-R14.jpg

195-XX-R14.JPG
Source: 1010TIRES

If going for 195/60 R14, I'ed suggest Michelin ENERGY XM2. If you drive on rough roads or fast then choice Bridgestone or Continental. i.e Potenza G3 or CPC2 respectively.

Bridgestone TURANZA ER300 in 185/60 R14 is also good and Michelin ENERGY XM2 is also available in 185/60 R14 & 185/65 R14 sizes.

Michelin tyres provide fantastic handling, grip on any surface, silent operation and good in terms of comfort but you have to take care of them.

Hope I have given you little helpful information. [:)]

Thanks...
Best Regards

Hello Pradeep,
Michelin ENERGY XM2 is also available in 185/60 R14 & 185/65 R14 sizes.

Michelin tyres provide fantastic handling, grip on any surface, silent operation and good in terms of comfort but you have to take care of them.

Hope I have given you little helpful information.

Thanks...
Best Regards
Hello Srikanth,

Thanks a ton for the information [clap], it was really useful information.

I am not looking for 195/60 R14 and based on your suggestion / analysis details I am dropping the idea of 185/70 R14.
Between 185/60 R14 and 185/65 R14, which one do you suggest and why? :help:

I am more inclined to 185/65 R14 to have some increased ground clearance as well.
I am tight on the budget as usage of car has reduced :stupid:, apart from Bridgestone TURANZA ER300 and Michelin ENERGY XM2 which others do you suggest.

How about below set of options for 185/65 R14, can you provide your valuable feedback on these.
1. Apollo Amazer 3G Maxx Tyre : Retailing around Rs 3600
2. Apollo Alnac 4Gs Tyre : Retailing around Rs 3900

Last edited:
Pl check Yoko earth 1 too. I have 185 on my Fiesta and paid 4100 for them. Good tires.
Thanks Akshay for the suggestion [:)].

How is the Road noise and are these more prone to punctures, am asking this as I have heard this from some friend[confused] Luckily with the stock MRF tyres, had only two punctures in the 48K KMs usage[clap]

Hello Pradeep,

I was not well yesterday so couldn't reply but today I have recovered a little.

Bridgestone tyres are good for rough roads and wet/dry conditions but noise would be little more then Michelin. AFAIK, Michelin tyres produce least noise compered to other tyres, next comes Yokohama.

Michelin and Yokohama tyres are soft so they are prone punctures hence you have to take care of them. Whereas MRF, Apollo, Goodyear tyres withstand rough usage but noise, grip, comfort may not be likable.

As of tyre size, with 60 the GC will reduce by 6mm compared to stock tyre size but on 65 GC will increase to 13mm and should be good for Indian roads too. 65 would give more comfortable ride while the 60 would give better handling.

I bought Primacy 3ST for my Honda City recently but it costs higher then any other tyres and also not available in the size you are looking. Next best tyre is XM1 but as your budget is limited, I think Yokohama Earth 1 or C drive in 185/65 R14 size should be good for your car. Still take your time to research and also visit fiesta section in Gear Heads and Teambhp forums to get more info.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Hello Srikanth,

Thanks a ton for the information [clap], it was really useful information.

I am not looking for 195/60 R14 and based on your suggestion / analysis details I am dropping the idea of 185/70 R14.
Between 185/60 R14 and 185/65 R14, which one do you suggest and why? :help:

I am more inclined to 185/65 R14 to have some increased ground clearance as well.
I am tight on the budget as usage of car has reduced :stupid:, apart from Bridgestone TURANZA ER300 and Michelin ENERGY XM2 which others do you suggest.

How about below set of options for 185/65 R14, can you provide your valuable feedback on these.
1. Apollo Amazer 3G Maxx Tyre : Retailing around Rs 3600
2. Apollo Alnac 4Gs Tyre : Retailing around Rs 3900
I have been using Tokyo earthone TYRE 185/60/R14 & have already driven 20k kms with it. There is no underbody scraping with full load of luggage & 4 adults sitting in it. You can very well go ahead and fix this tyres.

Hello Pradeep,

I had given wrong info in my previous post.

Actually 6mm decrease happens to overall diameter in 60 profile and 13mm increase to overall diameter in 65 profile tyre. That means for GC, you lose 3mm if you put 185/60 or gain 6.5mm if you put 185/65 tyres.

However, this is all theoretical calculations and in reality it may differ.

Sorry for the mistake. :tongue:

Thanks...
Best Regards

As of tyre size, with 60 the GC will reduce by 6mm 3mm compared to stock tyre size but on 65 GC will increase to 13mm 6.5mm and should be good for Indian roads too. 65 would give more comfortable ride while the 60 would give better handling.

Hello Pradeep,

I had given wrong info in my previous post.

Actually 6mm decrease happens to overall diameter in 60 profile and 13mm increase to overall diameter in 65 profile tyre. That means for GC, you lose 3mm if you put 185/60 or gain 6.5mm if you put 185/65 tyres.

However, this is all theoretical calculations and in reality it may differ.

Sorry for the mistake. :tongue:

Thanks...
Best Regards
Hello Srikanth,

Sorry I could not respond to your earlier post as I got busy with Work and personal commitments over the weekend.
No Issues, I too know few things about this, so I got it what exactly you were trying to convey.

I have gone through various other Forums and Links and it seems all are suggesting about Michelin XM2 or Yoko Earth 1.

I inquired in couple of Tyre shops in Bangalore and all of them did not recommend
1. MRF - More Noise and cheap as per them
2. Yokohama - More prone to Punctures as made of soft compound and not made for Indian Roads[frustration]

Also I saw 185/60 and 185/65 in 14" and came to conclusion after discussion with them and visual inspection that 185/60 are not suited for my car and I have decided to go with 185/65/14 tyres.

1. Michelin Energy XM2 - Looked Really good but asking price was around 4800-4900 per Tyre

2. Bridgestone B250 - Priced Around Rs 4,200 - As per them More Road Noise
3. Bridgestone B290 - Priced Around Rs 4,300 - Better compared to above
4. Bridgestone TURANZA AR20 - Priced Around Rs 4,500 - Best one among 3

Any suggestions on above set of Bridgestone Tyres or any better model in Bridgestone in my budget of around 4K per Tyre?:help:

I have been using Tokyo earthone TYRE 185/60/R14 & have already driven 20k kms with it. There is no underbody scraping with full load of luggage & 4 adults sitting in it. You can very well go ahead and fix this tyres.
Thanks VDM295 for the suggestion. How are Yoko Earth tyres with respect getting more punctures compared to MRF. I visited couple of Tyre Shops in Bangalore and all of them did not recommend Yoko sighting they are not for Indian Roads and more prone to Punctures. Please provide your personal experience on these.

Last edited:
I inquired in couple of Tyre shops in Bangalore and all of them did not recommend
1. MRF - More Noise and cheap as per them
2. Yokohama - More prone to Punctures as made of soft compound and not made for Indian Roads[frustration]
Yes they are right, MRF is noisy and usually comes fitted as stock. Its are good only for durability and easy on pocket. But I don't agree with Yoko are more prone to punctures. Earlier it may be but now they have improved.

Also I saw 185/60 and 185/65 in 14" and came to conclusion after discussion with them and visual inspection that 185/60 are not suited for my car and I have decided to go with 185/65/14 tyres.
Wise choice. [:)]

1. Michelin Energy XM2 - Looked Really good but asking price was around 4800-4900 per Tyre
2. Bridgestone B250 - Priced Around Rs 4,200 - As per them More Road Noise
3. Bridgestone B290 - Priced Around Rs 4,300 - Better compared to above
4. Bridgestone TURANZA AR20 - Priced Around Rs 4,500 - Best one among 3
Bridgestone B series could be entry-level from Bridgestone or OEM tyres and may produce some noticeable noise. AR20 might be good and alternative to Earth 1

The problem is, if you don't consider XM2 then you will get confused with lot of other tyres, that perform very similarly to each other hence makes it difficult to choose one.

Any suggestions on above set of Bridgestone Tyres or any better model in Bridgestone in my budget of around 4K per Tyre?:help:
I'm afraid you have to spend atleast 4.5k for best tyres and in 185/65 R14 size there aren't many models.

Sometimes you won't get latest manufactured tyres from local dealers so you have to look for different model or brand so don't stick with one. Short list to AR20, Earth 1 and XM1 (Should cost you only 1.2k more for 4 sets). For spare tyre you can consider one from MRF or Apollo.

I bought tyres from Tyre Park Hubli and they are located in most places also. Check out Cherry Agencies website for contact details. They will you give you best price and are trustworthy.

Last edited:
The problem is, if you don't consider XM2 then you will get confused with lot of other tyres, that perform very similarly to each other hence makes it difficult to choose one.

I'm afraid you have to spend atleast 4.5k for best tyres and in 185/65 R14 size there aren't many models.

Sometimes you won't get latest manufactured tyres from local dealers so you have to look for different model or brand so don't stick with one. Short list to AR20, Earth 1 and XM1 (Should cost you only 1.2k more for 4 sets). For spare tyre you can consider one from MRF or Apollo.

I bought tyres from Tyre Park Hubli and they are located in most places also. Check out Cherry Agencies website for contact details. They will you give you best price and are trustworthy.
Thanks for the suggestion and valuable information[cheers]

I had got above mentioned quotes for Bridgestone and XM2 from Tyre Park in Indira Nagar, Bangalore. If I get some free time this weekend let me check out in some other Tyre park shops and also few shops in JC Road to get a better idea and quotes.

I have not used the stock spare Tyre 175/65/14 even once in last 3.5 years, so I was of the opinion that I can still continue to use same or can keep the one with better threads from the existing 4 regular tyres as spare.

I am not sure how it will impact if I have new 4 tyres of 185/65/14 and use the existing stock 175/65/14 as spare tyre [thinking] , I am not saying I will be using it for long time and distance, plan is just to use on emergency need only :please:

I had got above mentioned quotes for Bridgestone and XM2 from Tyre Park in Indira Nagar, Bangalore. If I get some free time this weekend let me check out in some other Tyre park shops and also few shops in JC Road to get a better idea and quotes.
Alright.

I have not used the stock spare Tyre 175/65/14 even once in last 3.5 years, so I was of the opinion that I can still continue to use same or can keep the one with better threads from the existing 4 regular tyres as spare.

I am not sure how it will impact if I have new 4 tyres of 185/65/14 and use the existing stock 175/65/14 as spare tyre [thinking] , I am not saying I will be using it for long time and distance, plan is just to use on emergency need only :please:
Side wall difference between stock size and 185/65 is 6mm atleast so I don't recommend to use stock size with upsized tyres. If the difference was less then 3mm then there wouldn't be a problem.

You can use it on emergency but still when you can, get a new tyre for spare. A cheapest one will do. [:)]

Just FYI, earth one are made for India tires. I have XM2 on Figo and Earth 1 on Fiesta and honestly I didnt find noticeable difference in grip between two. Have driven earth1 flat out on some twisty wet roads and they held very well.

Top Bottom