New Maruti Wagon-R VXi Glistening Grey Ownership Review

Re: New Maruti Wagon-R VXi 1000+ Kms Ownership Review

hi Kannan, Can you give some guideline/procedure on how to remove the front cabin-lamp glass casing of k10 wagonR? ( (if possible, with a few photos) I need to do a DIY replacement of the stock bulb with a 24 SMD white-light which I ordered through ebay. I tried with a flat-blade screw-driver covered with a soft cloth as mentioned in the owners manual, but I was not successful.I felt that the glass may crack or the plastic lock-clips may break, if I try any harder.Also there is no space between the light-assembly frame and the glass border to insert even a small screw-driver edge into it. Because of this, if I try to forcibly insert, it is causing some ugly marks on the edge of the frame.So please provide some assistance based on your DIY experience.I do not want to take it to MASS because they keep telling the same "warranty will get void" story for whatever slight modification I ask.

Thread Starter #47
Air filter change

@VmaX
Sorry just saw our message, I was not active for quite some time I will PM you
Changed the Air Filter. This time I used MGP (~200 Rs), mainly because I couldn't procure the Arrowhead filter, the seller was not responding.

new1.jpg
new.jpg

ODO readings :
last change - 10175
present - 21550

condition of old filter
old.jpg
old2.jpg

Thread Starter #48
Adding OBD II reader ELM327

Hi friends,
I have the OBD device in mind for quite some time. Recently i saw grabbed one off @ EBAY.
Prerequisites

• OBD II Reader ( i used a Bluetooth supporting reader)
  • Android device with Bluetooth support
  • A Suitable windshield / dashboard mount holder
1.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
IMG_0546.jpg

ODB II adapter installed in the car. This model comes with and on / off switch for convenience.
IMG_0536.jpg

With Engine running various sensors. This model comes with both windows (ScanMaster ELM) and android (Torque Pro) applications.
Screen shots of Torque Pro
Opening screen with RPM
IMG_0551.jpg
Screen 1 (all the screens are completely customizable and we can add sensors we need)
IMG_0556.jpg
Screen 2
IMG_0552.jpg
Screen 3 (roll )
IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

The Wagon R ECU does not support all the codes or features of the ODB adapter. so some of the readouts are useless. I had an Android phone lying around and i used it for navigation by installing Sugic. ( I already have MapMyIndia, but being a base unit some of the POI's are not available). So i used the same phone for the Torue Pro.

Hi kannan,

I am in process of migrating to Wagon R Vxi from my current Zen MPFI VXi. Can you please comment on the following:

1. Is there any rattles that you are observing now?
2. What is the mileage that you are getting in city with 100% AC?
3. Has the NVH Levels increased over time?
4. Is your car provided with Apollo tyres? What is the condition of tires post 20K?

I am a little apprehensive about the engine performance since the low end grunt of the K-Series engine is poor as compared to my Zen MPFI engine. Blame it on the 3 cylinder mileage centric engine. [cry]

Thread Starter #50
Hi kannan,

I am in process of migrating to Wagon R Vxi from my current Zen MPFI VXi. Can you please comment on the following:

4. Is your car provided with Apollo tyres? What is the condition of tires post 20K?

I am a little apprehensive about the engine performance since the low end grunt of the K-Series engine is poor as compared to my Zen MPFI engine. Blame it on the 3 cylinder mileage centric engine. [cry]
Zen has always been a personal favourite. I chose the WagonR because of its seat height and because there was no more Zen only Estilo was on sale.
I liked the old one before the face lift.
small-car-maruti-zen.gif

Now about your concerns
1. There is one main issue that is the front passenger seat belt rattling on the interior when riding solo. in due time this may cause the lamination on the plastic to wear out.
Ford has solved this in the Figo by adding a small rubber padding to the portion of the B pillar interior where the buckle of the seat belt is dangling.
ford-figo-front-seats-051.jpg.png
sorry couldn't find a good photo. This solves the rattling.
Apart from this there are no major rattling issues that a service can't clear. My roads are really bad, in the last service i had some good rattling from the hatchback pad, it was cleared easily.

2. As for the FE part sorry i won't be able to answer the question directly, as i haven't checked the FE for quite some time and my rides have been short for a long time. (7 kms to kid's school, 2 kms from there to office in the evening again 2 km to school, 2 km to office then 7km to home) so all these short trips have rendered checking FE almost impossible. I will post the result after a through check.

3. I mostly keep to 50-60 kmph max speed (mostly stay between 1.5 to 1.8k RPM) so NVH has never been a problem for me. In fact i have never noticed this.

4. My car came with Goodyear tyres, one of them has worn out unevenly [frustration] don't know how. Right now I have 26K on the ODO and the tyres could have been better.

The 3-pot engine is ok but sometimes you may miss the sweet power of the 4 cylinder Zen (especially when overtaking in highways). For me it doesn't matter as i am a moderate driver.
I reached 130 only once (i was very late for my cousins marriage) and that too was in the highway in a Sunday when traffic was very low. After 110 the car may feel a little unsteady because of the wind.
Also you may miss the boot space too.
But slip (you can easily do so because of the height) into the driver seat and you will be overjoyed by the height, adjustable steering, the field of vision, head room etc.
Also the doors open very wide so that the elderly can easily get in. Rear seat is also very comfortable (at the cost of boot space).

hope i have cleared all your doubts, as for the FE i will try to post it ASAP. If you have any more doubts please feel free to post!

Last edited:
Thanks kannan for answering my doubts in such detail.

One of very few reasons I need to upgrade my Zen are:

1. Ingress/Egress is a problem for my father given the shorter height of Zen.
2. Car Tax is expiring.
3. All 5 tyres need a replacement.
4. Brakes and Clutch assembly may need an overhaul.

The good things about Zen:

1. Once seated in the car, it feels like you are in a go-kart.
2. Drive-ability in city is specially good, thanks to the free revving engine. The car can pick up from zero in second gear.
3. It offers brilliant mileage even today. It is clocking a 17-18kmpl in highways consistently and city mileage may depend on AC usage and type of driving. Mainly hovers around 12-13kmpl.
4. The car offers good view of the road and overall visibility is pretty good.
5. The car even being 10 years old requires only scheduled maintenance - one of the advantages of owing a Maruti.
6. I just love the design of the car even when so many cars are in the market now-a-days.
7. The Wagon-R will be replacing the Zen. I have to let go off the car with a heavy heart. [cry]

Zen has always been a personal favourite. I chose the WagonR because of its seat height and because there was no more Zen only Estilo was on sale.
I liked the old one before the face lift.
View attachment 140463

Now about your concerns
1. There is one main issue that is the front passenger seat belt rattling on the interior when riding solo. in due time this may cause the lamination on the plastic to wear out.
Ford has solved this in the Figo by adding a small rubber padding to the portion of the B pillar interior where the buckle of the seat belt is dangling.
View attachment 140464
sorry couldn't find a good photo. This solves the rattling.
Apart from this there are no major rattling issues that a service can't clear. My roads are really bad, in the last service i had some good rattling from the hatchback pad, it was cleared easily.

2. As for the FE part sorry i won't be able to answer the question directly, as i haven't checked the FE for quite some time and my rides have been short for a long time. (7 kms to kid's school, 2 kms from there to office in the evening again 2 km to school, 2 km to office then 7km to home) so all these short trips have rendered checking FE almost impossible. I will post the result after a through check.

3. I mostly keep to 50-60 kmph max speed (mostly stay between 1.5 to 1.8k RPM) so NVH has never been a problem for me. In fact i have never noticed this.

4. My car came with Goodyear tyres, one of them has worn out unevenly [frustration] don't know how. Right now I have 26K on the ODO and the tyres could have been better.

The 3-pot engine is ok but sometimes you may miss the sweet power of the 4 cylinder Zen (especially when overtaking in highways). For me it doesn't matter as i am a moderate driver.
I reached 130 only once (i was very late for my cousins marriage) and that too was in the highway in a Sunday when traffic was very low. After 110 the car may feel a little unsteady because of the wind.
Also you may miss the boot space too.
But slip (you can easily do so because of the height) into the driver seat and you will be overjoyed by the height, adjustable steering, the field of vision, head room etc.
Also the doors open very wide so that the elderly can easily get in. Rear seat is also very comfortable (at the cost of boot space).

hope i have cleared all your doubts, as for the FE i will try to post it ASAP. If you have any more doubts please feel free to post!

Thanks kannan for answering my doubts in such detail.

One of very few reasons I need to upgrade my Zen are:

1. Ingress/Egress is a problem for my father given the shorter height of Zen.
2. Car Tax is expiring.
3. All 5 tyres need a replacement.
4. Brakes and Clutch assembly may need an overhaul.

The good things about Zen:

1. Once seated in the car, it feels like you are in a go-kart.
2. Drive-ability in city is specially good, thanks to the free revving engine. The car can pick up from zero in second gear.
3. It offers brilliant mileage even today. It is clocking a 17-18kmpl in highways consistently and city mileage may depend on AC usage and type of driving. Mainly hovers around 12-13kmpl.
4. The car offers good view of the road and overall visibility is pretty good.
5. The car even being 10 years old requires only scheduled maintenance - one of the advantages of owing a Maruti.
6. I just love the design of the car even when so many cars are in the market now-a-days.
7. The Wagon-R will be replacing the Zen. I have to let go off the car with a heavy heart. [cry]

Hi Charger91,

Here is my waggie's ownership review, in case you want to know about waggie's experience from another proud owner.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ggie-pre-owned-wagon-r-2011-a.html#post367168

Thread Starter #53
Letting our favorite car go is very difficult. When my 800 was taken away by the Ture-Value guys, I literally cried, i was unable to eat my dinner. It seemed that when the car was reversing it was crying.

I too changed the car because my father was having difficulty in getting in and out. My old 800 5 Speed gave me an avg FE of 28 with AC in highway and 23 with AC in town.

I may have kept it too but we didn't have space for parking it safely.

I saw the car once in road after 1 year, even though it was coming from far, i recognized it in a jiffy, i was happy that it is in a loving family.

Letting our favorite car go is very difficult. When my 800 was taken away by the Ture-Value guys, I literally cried, i was unable to eat my dinner. It seemed that when the car was reversing it was crying.
True to the words, man! It will be surely difficult to let go off the car. But we have to move on nonetheless. Thanks for your valuable inputs. [:)]

Hi kannan,

Hi,
I am also a proud owner of a Wagon R (ABS) and purchased on December 2013. I am trying to answer few of your questions.
1. I haven't observed any rattle after six months.
2. I am getting 13-14 kms/lt in city with 100% AC.
3. My car was provided with Apollo Amazer 3G and I don't like them. Changed to Bridgestone AR20 of stock size i.e 155/65 R 14 and ride quality, cabin noise and handling seems to be much improved.
Engine performance is great though low end grunt is poor. Once you reach 1500-2500 RPM , performance is superb. I drove 110-115 kms with AC on, five adults and lots of luggage in the boot but never felt that engine is lacking of power.
Sorry, Kannan I have entered in your thread. I am also an admirer of you.
Regards.

Since you are from Kolkata, can you tell me which dealer you have purchased the car from?

Plus can you quote details of your first/second service?

Hi,
I am also a proud owner of a Wagon R (ABS) and purchased on December 2013. I am trying to answer few of your questions.
1. I haven't observed any rattle after six months.
2. I am getting 13-14 kms/lt in city with 100% AC.
3. My car was provided with Apollo Amazer 3G and I don't like them. Changed to Bridgestone AR20 of stock size i.e 155/65 R 14 and ride quality, cabin noise and handling seems to be much improved.
Engine performance is great though low end grunt is poor. Once you reach 1500-2500 RPM , performance is superb. I drove 110-115 kms with AC on, five adults and lots of luggage in the boot but never felt that engine is lacking of power.
Sorry, Kannan I have entered in your thread. I am also an admirer of you.
Regards.

Hi Charger91,
I have taken the car from Mohon Motor Udyog situated at Sec. V, Salt Lake. But now they have left Maruti and taken the dealership of Hyundai.
Actually, first service charge is nil. But I had changef the spark plugs to NGK Iridium so the charge was Rs.1800/=. No charge for second service. I have planned to change the engine oil to full synthetic at the time of third service then charge will occur.
Regards.

I too changed the car because my father was having difficulty in getting in and out. My old 800 5 Speed gave me an avg FE of 28 with AC in highway and 23 with AC in town.

I may have kept it too but we didn't have space for parking it safely.

I saw the car once in road after 1 year, even though it was coming from far, i recognized it in a jiffy, i was happy that it is in a loving family.
Hi Kannan, sorry to trespass your thread, ihave booked a wagon r with VIN MA3EWDE1S00738173EE, could you OR anyone please tell me the mfr month & year.
Thanks
Vinod

Top Bottom