New Maruti Wagon-R VXi Glistening Grey Ownership Review

Thread Starter #31
Philips X-Treme Vision bulb upgrade

Posting the photos before and after the bulb upgrade.
Philips X-Treme Vision 1200/- pair
phil.jpg

High Beam stock bulb
h2.jpg

High beam with X-Treme Vision
h1.jpg

Low beam Stock
l2.jpg

Low beam X-Treme vision
l1.jpg

Re: New Maruti Wagon-R VXi 1000+ Kms Ownership Review

Hi

Better you would have replaced you headlight with 100/90 Philips rally. To support high voltage bulb you should add wire harnessing (Philips Relay).

This is superior to the what you have done for your headlights.

Regards
Sriniwas
Bangalore

Thread Starter #33

Hi

Better you would have replaced you headlight with 100/90 Philips rally. To support high voltage bulb you should add wire harnessing (Philips Relay).

This is superior to the what you have done for your headlights.

Regards
Sriniwas
Bangalore
Upgrading a 100/90 bulb requires changing electrical, adding relay etc. The MASS said that this will void my warranty. Moreover the stock alternator is not that much efficient, when the A/C compressor is switched on the headlights dim a little.

I have used the Philips 100/90 in my old 800. and have faced the same problem during the long runs (more than 150km) because of the alternator. or i have to upgrade the alternator as Varun has done.

well keeping all the mods down till the warranty is over. for now i am sticking to mods that does not involve any major rewiring.

i think the xtreme vision has given you enough light.90/100 w bulbs are slightly better on light. but as said in earlier post,

1. need to install relay, which void guaranty
2. continuous usage may fade the headlight reflectors.(My friends are using 90/100 w bulbs in their new cars. They never felt this problem)
3. They are not legal

By the way, i used 90/100 w bulbs with relay in my 1997 model 800 dx for more than 6 years and i never felt any alternator/battery problem.On my most long trips,one side will be on night and i love to drive on night.i used my car on most of the travel with A/c and ICE, especially 200km continuous trip(Kozhikode- Cochin,3.5 hours Mostly non stop) on monthly once.

Only problem i felt is cranking will be little slow, in the next morning, But it will start in single crank. Once in night travel, One light was stopped working, thought bulb got fused and bought new one in the next shop i saw. Later i found that the problem was my bulb holder was melted.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #35

may be because of my driving habit. i am a slow driver i stick to 45-50km max. never go above 50.
i don't use Music while driving but A/C will be on full time. i used to get 28KMPL.

Hi kannan, can you tell how is the performance with Arrow head filters as I am getting a custom made one for my 800..

You got very good mileage on your 800.If had got that mileage on my 800, The car would have been still with me. May be it is because your 800 is a 5 speed one and your driving also matters. I was getting 17-18 KMPL only in long trips too. I shall maintain 70-80 KM/hr most of the time while driving and my family will be with me in long trips. so car will be loaded with at least 3 people and luggage.

Thread Starter #38

Hi kannan, can you tell how is the performance with Arrow head filters as I am getting a custom made one for my 800..
i don't think there's any issues with the filter. still i am planning to open the filter and check how much dust has accumulated on the filter. i will post the details tomorrow.

You got very good mileage on your 800.If had got that mileage on my 800, The car would have been still with me. May be it is because your 800 is a 5 speed one and your driving also matters. I was getting 17-18 KMPL only in long trips too. I shall maintain 70-80 KM/hr most of the time while driving and my family will be with me in long trips. so car will be loaded with at least 3 people and luggage.
you may be right with my driving, i too goes with full family, total 5 including my 1 yr old daughter (then) and AC will be on full time. i am really sad that i had to part with it. apart from the FE what i miss is the smooth ride, the 800 seemed more smoother when hitting the potholes that the wagonr

@Kannan
My wagonR's(k10) lights(headlights,cabin lamps) dims and brightens when Accelerator is pressed as if there is a voltage fluctuation.The lights also dims when AC is switched on , when Brakes are appliedor when power window switch is working.Is this occuring in every Wagonr k10 or alto k10.
there is no fluctuation while on battery(i.e when Engine is off) .
Please Check this in your car.Check whether the interior cabin lights or headlights dims and brightens while accelerating and please do reply.

Also my compressor swiches on and off very frequently(within 10-15 seconds).IS this also normal.

Thank you.

^^
Blueeyed@

you are posting your issue on every thread! I think this is against forum policies. Please stick your thread and don't disturb Kannan's Ownership thread. If you need any clariffication from the another wagon r owner please PM to him.

Kannan@

it is more than 6 months. Any updates?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #41
20K service + LED boot light + LED tail lamp

HI all,
I was very busy @office so could not post much and could not take the car for service for a long time, and the 20k mark was reaching so i took HIM to garage yesterday.

Details
20,000 KM service
KMs : 19845

Bill details (major items only)
Coolant : 206
Brake fluid : 136
MGO (0w20) : 1124
MGGO (17w90) : 791

Labour paid service 20k : 850
Coil spring pad change : 400

Total bill amount : 5260/-

Mods done

LED Boot light
Cost
APE auto number plate light enclosure : 70
LED festoon light : 150 (ebay)

i was planning to get a boot light for quite some time. while visiting a friend he showed an APE autorickshaw number plate light. at the moment i decided to use it.
even though i bought it quite some time ago, i was able to take it to MASS only yesterday. at first they were reluctant but later agreed to try. they connected it to the door opening system and the boot light gets lighted up when the boot is opened.

Stock bulb light
boot-stock1.jpg

Stock bulb
boot-stock.jpg

changed to LED
boot_cov.jpg

Cover is placed
boof_of.jpg

LED on
boot_on.jpg

Changing tail lamp to LED
I was planning to change the tail lamps to LED for quite some time, i bought the BAY15D type LED bulbs,
bay15d.gif
but at first they were not working. i tried many methods. at last i opened them. to my surprise i found that the LED unit was single, unlike the normals bulbs which have two filaments (one lower power and other high power). In these units they have attached a resistor to a terminal to reduce power (so that it acts as tail lamp). i just used paintbrush to draw a crude diagram, sorry i could take a photo at that time.
bd.gif

the negative is common. so when the tail lamp is switched on the power will be coming through the resistor so low light.

drawbacks

• need two bulbs to complete the circuit, at first i checked with only one LED and the other was normal, it wasn't working
  • my vehicle has a beep sound when parking lights are on and the key is removed, this will come on when we apply the brake with ignition turned off.
  • the High Mount Stop lamp (on top of the hatch) will light up when the parking lamps are switched on. (normally they operate when brakes are applied)
  • Low brightness when compared to stock bulbs
LED
led.jpg

Exterior view
extled.jpg

High Mount Stop Lamp
(LED)
hmsl.jpg

Tail Lamp
tail.jpg

Brake light
brake1.jpg
brake.jpg

Mud in rear body
next i would like to point out an area where heavy mud is accumulated in wagon-r.
mud.jpg
Please check out the portion marked in red. the mud will get accumulated there and we won't know, there was a thick coat when i removed the tail lamp enclosure. i was able to wash it off. but it is not possible for us to open the tail lamp to was that off every time.
so please give any suggestions which can be done like preemptive maintenance which will reduce the chance of rusting.

Wow the boot lamp looks perfect as stock.

How much did the led's cost for the park/ brake lamps.

Thread Starter #43

Wow the boot lamp looks perfect as stock.

How much did the led's cost for the park/ brake lamps.
hi varun, i bought them some time ago from Srinud whose number i gave you. i think he charged 550/- per piece ( i bought 3 one for my scooter too).

what about the mud issue? can you suggest any special coating etc?

Last edited:

hi varun, what about the mud issue? can you suggest any special coating etc?
It is common on all cars, is the rubber beeding of the tail intact ?

If not use a small rubber sheet or a foam sheet to secure it. You you also try the silicon sealant. So that dust and water would not enter into the tail lamp area.

Top Bottom