New Maruti Swift Versus Rest of the Competition!

Your favourite hatchback?

• Total voters
So Jayadev, a quick question to you. Which one out of the following would be a sensible buy?
1. Vista vx qjd (abs)
2. Punto 90hp
3. Indica ev2 (lacks abs)
4. Swift zdi (Not interested)

And I agree that magazines are not to be trusted especially with the reviews.

Amiti ,that is bit difficult question to answer.
swift still continues its charm though the let down were on improvement side with price which other than tweaks here and there did not make it par with other cars like polo or punto.

I Myself have shifted from Vista to punto90 hp. The reasons are obvious- the Perfect drivers car.

your question can only be answered after thoroughly knowing your taste.A thorough TD will help you.

Amiti ,that is bit difficult question to answer.
swift still continues its charm though the let down were on improvement side with price which other than tweaks here and there did not make it par with other cars like polo or punto.

I Myself have shifted from Vista to punto90 hp. The reasons are obvious- the Perfect drivers car.

your question can only be answered after thoroughly knowing your taste.A thorough TD will help you.
Jayadev, What was that specific point to exchange Vista with Punto, and what made you to Buy Vista prior to Punto?

and what made you to Buy Vista prior to Punto?
Excellent ride quality.
Interior space came second.
No other car at Rs.5.25 lakh can give you that.

Previous indica were also good on ride quality but indica vista has an upper edge with something related to suspension which does not allow much of road noise into interiors.

compared to tata cars i have traveled in wagon -r , alto, zen estillo, swift etc they all lags miles behind for our Indian road conditions.

Jayadev, What was that specific point to exchange Vista with Punto
Vista rattled with time. by 10k kms , it made me feel that it will fall apart by 50000km .(hope those issues were cured by now)

I needed a car for long term use and when i inquired for such a car everybody equally said "No" for maruthi and yes for "Fiat". I was taken by extreme surprise because i rarely heard any great new fiat cars other than old palio and sienna. even the showroom guys never ever talked about fiat cars.they rarely had one for display.

when I did TD of p90hp then there was no looking back.Its interiors was instant love with the couch like cockpit and excellent lively steering.

Still I own a Ritz and Wagon-r, I voted for i20- Diesel. yesterday I enjoy a good drive. From trivandrum to Kottaym in just 2 hours. started 10 pm reach 12 midnight...I enjoy the power,breaking effect, space etc. I truley like it.

Excellent ride quality.
Interior space came second.
No other car at Rs.5.25 lakh can give you that.
what about NVH ?

I agree with this. No doubt it is a drivers car.But there are very 'few' enthuzistic car lovers who like performance oriented cars (like Lancer, Fiesta 1.6, Punto)

Common person does consider lot of other points where these ride lacks.

ASS ?
Resale ?
Mileage ?
Spares ?

India is still a much more money driven market so VFM car sales more over performance oriented cars.

A true car lover will always go with his heart and buy a performance oriented car but there are actually less number of those.

what about NVH ?
NVH of Vista was par for the course with car having MJD engine . I remember we tried to compare it with swift ,gave similar results.
Punto has excellent NVH figures far better than any other car in the segment.
NVH of my punto90hp felt better than skoda octavia to the owner.

ASS ?
Resale ?
Mileage ?
Spares ?
Tata is doing it with some downs and some ups. I have good impressions only so far. regarding mileage Indica vista were offered with wider tires gave a bit less FE than swift but were good on braking and stability.

India is still a much more money driven market so VFM car sales more over performance oriented cars.

A true car lover will always go with his heart and buy a performance oriented car but there are actually less number of those.
If you are talking about punto, then it is nowhere a performance car in India but an economy targeted one. Its gear ratios and engine is tuned to last more with better FE.
Due to more advance technology and loads of feature it has remained bit more expensive than rest of the brands so the dismal sales. performance should can come from 100bhp+ power.

If it is Tata cars , they are gaining momentum . being bit new in premium segment they will show some issues initially which are being cured promptly.

OT:Have anybody seen interiors of Mahindra Logan Aka verito? it is very good car but i am surprised to see its interiors which are worse than Tata cars yet no body speaks about it. Can anybody guess why so??

Because nobody(only few) talks about it
You are absolutely right. I met one Logan owner using it for Private use and an indica v2 as Taxi ,he is very much happy with both cars.

I have seen autocar saying the inerior of new vista is much better(they used some other) than liva.
There is one more serious thing noticed about Indica vista !!

When tata launched vista with ODO and mid in centre of dash board everybody raised serious concerns, even safety issues were one among them like visual distraction etc. but when Toyota etios was launched with same concept same people hugged it with open arms saying Trendy ,funky unique design.
similarly Toyota innova is one of the best seller taxi in India presently but Toyota does not have taxi Image but Tata indica vista has it ...
This is so cruel and unfair !!!
People talk so much against and find pleasure bashing homegrown products . I am no fanboy of Tata or Fiat but I try to remain Impartial .

There is one more serious thing noticed about Indica vista !!

When tata launched vista with ODO and mid in centre of dash board everybody raised serious concerns, even safety issues were one among them like visual distraction etc. but when Toyota etios was launched with same concept same people hugged it with open arms saying Trendy ,funky unique design.
similarly Toyota innova is one of the best seller taxi in India presently but Toyota does not have taxi Image but Tata indica vista has it ...
This is so cruel and unfair !!!
People talk so much against and find pleasure bashing homegrown products . I am no fanboy of Tata or Fiat but I try to remain Impartial .
Very well said Jayadev and totally agree with you! It is just the mindset of general public which goes with belief rather than knowledge. Tata is churning out much better vehicles with each upgrade, but people are not able to adjust with the image. Whereas Toyota has dished out the cheapest looking cars in the stable and still people are running for them without even doing a proper TD. God knows what they want[frustration]

If i need to choose a petrol hatch ,i will go for Swift or Jazz.
In case of diesel ,i will go for Figo,it all boils down to what user wants from his car.

Anyone on tight budget need a VFM diesel with all safety features (Airbag & ABS) FIGO Titanium is the rite choice.

Need space go for VISTA,
Need handling and fun to drive quotient go for Swift diesel or Punto.
Need space,premium upmarket feel,wonderful engine I20 is the choice.

Last edited:
Yesterday I had check new Vista. My TD experience -

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...4652-new-tata-vista-test-drive.html#post96289

Vista VX - On road price PCMC - 5,80,000 Approx
Just lags Air bags and alloys than Swift Zdi - On road price PCMC - 7,25,000 Approx

Vista ZX - On road price PCMC -6,40,000 Approx
Comes with Air bags and alloys

Price difference Vista VX and Swift ZDi - 1,45,000 Approx :eek:

Price difference Vista ZX and Swift ZDi - 85,000 Approx [thinking]

Price difference Vista ZX and Swift ZDi - 85,000 Approx [thinking]
Very well pricing, [clap]
Looks like TATA is going to catch up all the potential buyers in diesel hatch segment especially after hype of New Swift here Vista wins in terms of price tag and waiting period.

Top Bottom