New Maruti Swift Versus Rest of the Competition!

Your favourite hatchback?

• Total voters
What exactly is meant by sportier feel? I agree that Swift and Figo both are well engineered cars, Figo has got 1.4 L engine and there should not be any problem on Highways, I have driven Figo and swift both diesel ,Swift has liittle margin over figo in terms of performance. The main problem with Figo is the GC, when it is loaded with 5 passengers it feels like it is touching ground. One of my friend owns figo, we literly need to step out on high speedbreaker to avoid scraping. Imagine with Boot fully loaded with luggage. Problem with Swift , I will never accomodate rear seat whn three pax are travelling at rear, It s hell lot of pian in back and hips. Also the Swift doesny feel airy from inside. Swift is a drivers car not a family one, Figo is a couples car with a single Kid, and Vista is a complete family Hatch.
Yes I agree on the GC front. It is not amongst the best. When I said sportier I meant that I can revv the engine more, in-gear acceleration is better in Swift. I have driven a diesel Figo and it has short gears and engine does not revv freely compared to Swift D(although no comparison to a Petrol engine). Even Indica delivers a better performance.

But then as they say, to each his own[cheers]

Yes I agree on the GC front. It is not amongst the best. When I said sportier I meant that I can revv the engine more, in-gear acceleration is better in Swift
Other than initial turbo rush, swift di never made me feel so much special as much people all over India exaggerate, though i always loved its Pilot seat and related things.

If you are talking about in gear acceleration then you should talk about punto and no need to mention lonesome punto90P, it has BHP to ton ratio is 75.63 BHP / ton which remains unbeatable so far. It can fly from 3rd,4rth and 5th gears.

Couple of things people have always misunderstood about punto is regarding the opening up of engine which happens at much later stage of 10k to 15k kms, from where it begins to shine- thanks to extremely tight tolerance in engine. Rest of the cars in market opens up by as early as 1000kms or so.

post 10k km, very nature of fiat cars is what makes it a much loved mini car by enthusiasts world over.

Other than initial turbo rush, swift di never made me feel so much special as much people all over India exaggerate, though i always loved its Pilot seat and related things.

If you are talking about in gear acceleration then you should talk about punto and no need to mention lonesome punto90P, it has BHP to ton ratio is 75.63 BHP / ton which remains unbeatable so far. It can fly from 3rd,4rth and 5th gears.

Couple of things people have always misunderstood about punto is regarding the opening up of engine which happens at much later stage of 10k to 15k kms, from where it begins to shine- thanks to extremely tight tolerance in engine. Rest of the cars in market opens up by as early as 1000kms or so.

post 10k km, very nature of fiat cars is what makes it a much loved mini car by enthusiasts world over.
Cant even argue to that. That is the truth! Punto 90HP is in a different league and I was just comparing Figo to Swift. Fiat only, *only* lags behind because of a little over-pricing and disinterest from Fiat, otherwise it is the car beat. I am Fiat Fanboy too [:D]

Hi, Jazz is now most VFM than any car after price cut and no cost cutting..its big, has standard airbags and alloys and reliability of honda. can anyone ask for more ?

jayadev - awaiting the review. I have not been able to see a Jazz from inside yet and can not really comment on the interiors. Let some experienced words flowing on the interiors and ride.
Sorry . I thought we will be going OT so i remained silent .

Jazz other than petty facelift gimmicks and huge price slash down there wasn't much of exciting things against previous ones.
90 ps of highly refined honda heart which is reliable i suppose is the plus point here.

most exciting things I felt was space inside the car. at a glance it would be hard to believe it is a hatchback .i Heard my wife whispering "ohh interiors feels as big as innova." she was joking after having coming out of cramped rear seat of swift ,sitting inside jazz was a huge relief . I thanked god for giving us Indians so many options and competing brands.
rear seats were big with enough of thigh support and comfortable sitting position supporting our head very well. rear seats were fordable to and fro which can accommodate a bicycle (which i saw in brochure)the boot area was quite spacious please see below pic. only grouse was the middle exhaust tunnel bump and low seating, but good legroom compensated for that.

front seat was also comfortable with good steering position and well placed handy controls but the the color of center console was alien.swift looked far better in that department. rest of the things like gear shifts pedals etc are in par with with both of the cars. yes one thing is clutch pedal in jazz was not as soft as how petrol car should be both swift diesel and jazz had similar tight feeling in clutch though swift felt better ( both of them were not as luxurious as my punto's soft clutch- i am spoiled here).
remaining bits and bites were all regular thingies available in all modern cars like mp3, USB etc here again no Bluetooth no Phone (no hands free phone conversation in Honda Jazz and swift)

Jazz all variants came with safety features like ebd abs etc. which was good option for price we pay.

The interior plastics were El cheapo. worse than ANhc.with wierd color combinations.You press them hard you can hear them squeaking,bit suspicious I pushed dashboard, center console door panels etc all making me disappointed , and those colors were like that of some cheap Chinese toy cars.
Accidentally while trying to shift gears i pushed the center console extension under the gear lever which came off showing me other side of upholstery works, i asked SA what quality is this for which she gave me some cheap and embarrassing remarks.

exterior had some chrome finish on front grill as well as at rear the body panels and doors felt very flimsy (my close friends left rear door got dented when somebody closed the door too hard, honda estimated Rs.6000 to repair it,he is still driving it as it is-sad) the door knobs looked from stone age see pics.
Interior door panels and window switches were not at all justified for Honda badge.we all know how it drives and it would be individual thing to understand so no comments about it.
15 inch wheels were impressive.

availability of safety features in all variant, spacious roomy feel inside a hatchback , Honda reliability flexibility considering interior space,
price 6.31 on the road for second variant in Kannur - i give 4/5 .
i asked my wife how she felt- she said "not so good as our punto"-3.5/5.

PS: my wife's view compared to punto (whom look wise liked Jazz more than punto from day one.): front seat not as comfortable as punto,no solid feel ,shutting doors made her feel scary whether it is well closed or not(she is spoiled by euro cars..hehe) her comment"this Jazz may not last long enough on our roads "(swift felt much better for her), interior colour not at all good.
Punto she gives 3.5/5 only: due to visibility issue and tight steering only -being 5.3 ft it is very difficult and scary for her to drive Punto.

Attachments

Last edited:
(my close friends left rear door got dented when somebody closed the door too hard, honda estimated Rs.6000 to repair it,he is still driving it as it is-sad) the door knobs looked from stone age see pics.
Hi Jaydev, Nice write up, Except above line
Take it lightly and don't mind, If your close friend reads this , I am sure he's gona beat you like anything, As you are talking about his rear door and not his Cars![lol]

OHH my goodness, Thanks Drivetech4.
BTW where is that "Anhc" which was supposed to be there??

read it as "(my close friends ANHC left rear door got dented when somebody closed the door too hard, honda estimated Rs.6000 to repair it,he is still driving it as it is-sad) the door knobs looked from stone age see pics.

@jayadev,
I saw the same jazz on Sunday.It was closed.This is not the fully loaded jazz X.Went there to check out city with my uncle.
Did you opt for a test drive.I have seen a red jazz X there.
OT:I think today I saw you in the evening,near amani auditorium,in you Italian possession Punto90HP.

Last edited:
She said it is second variant. Her(SE) persistent questionnaire and request if i will be buying this month , or my buying plans did not let me stay there.
Initially she said two motnhs waiting period when she saw doubt in my eyes she gave some offers like if i book today itself it can be available within a month or so etc.
She realized after seeing all those plastics issues i am bit disappointed and might have changed my mind to swift. so i did not ask all questions in depth.
Though i can confirm all those detail if required as she keeps calling me twice a day.

After all those reviews and hype about best hatchback available in market but dismal sales only due to price,I expected a premium quality inside Jazz at least as much as Swift but
Did you opt for a test drive.I have seen a red jazz X there.
No,it was rather equal to old Tata cars but for the space and good looks with honda quality Jazz can be considered.
No i never ask for test drive unless i am fully satisfied with the car a sensible product.
Being a sedate driver all cars drives good for me if it is able to move .. hope you get it.

OT:I think today I saw you in the evening,near amani auditorium,in you Italian possession Punto90HP.
I was with her since noon covered almost 300km , i was almost everywhere in Kannur, just now back to home at 10.30pm.
cheers.

Thanks jaydev for the report.350Z is in search of a road tester.Can we have jayadev on that post?
When my cousin decided to buy jazz(now cancelled),my dad called them and they said it had a waiting period of 1 month,not available.
Jayadev how did you feel the outside visibility of jazz and new swift.
I felt the new swift had a bit lesser visibility than the old one.
Does punto has that bad visbility?

I was with her since noon covered almost 300km , i was almost everywhere in Kannur, just now back to home at 10.30pm.
cheers.
Seems like you had a lot of fun with punto.Do post the experiences on your ownership report,if had any.
OT: You looked a bit different than the pic of your you posted on one of the thread.
Is that cute baby on one of the pic your daughter?

Last edited:
I felt the new swift had a bit lesser visibility than the old one.
Does punto has that bad visbility?
Other than Alto ,m800,tata indica rest of the hatchbacks suffer visibility issue.swift is much wide a car obviously it does. this time with reclining seat and tilt steering it will all be a mess. may be you did not try to raise the seat but you will compromise comfort.
earlier seating felt sporty and driver friendly. this new swift felt like sitting in indica vista maybe those seats and tilt steering has same OEM source.
punto is even worse. it is more of a big car with hatchback shape having longest Nose to driver seat distance.In punto the driver sit in middle of the car while in rest of the car driver seat is almost 1 feet ahead.
swift Being hottest hatch in India we all including me expected great deal of improvement but Not much. I thought it would make rest of the competition on their knees .(I think i still have a swift fanboy inside me.) so i recommended two of my friends to go for new swift. they booked it in May and expecting delivery in October.but i am sure their experience would be disappointing because after having a TD in my punto they asked me the suggestion for similar car which does not cost a bomb like P90hp.

Thanks jaydev for the report.350Z is in search of a road tester.Can we have jayadev on that post?
No Please. I am not yet upto that level of Akash or Zinam they all have very good perception and much experienced .this was all Swift excitement.!!!

Seems like you had a lot of fun with punto.Do post the experiences on your ownership report,if had any.
Sure , I feel impossible not to have fun.but the great lunatic roads in Kannur had bruised her very much now on 14000km will update at 15k and second service.

OT: You looked a bit different than the pic of your you posted on one of the thread.
Camera and mirror never lies. :-P
Is that cute baby on one of the pic your daughter?
Yes that is Ammu My 7 month old daughter. She just loves being in car,she liked biege interiors of Jazz and was much happy inside.

@surfer, that was an old "Overdrive" review.
If i am not wrong the verdict was one the worst biased one automotive history ever had.

or those Guys had some serious issues.

Overdrive magazine still continues their arrogance, so i quite buying there Mags long back.

Top Bottom