New Maruti Suzuki Swift Test Drive Review

Thread Starter #1
Disclaimer: This is not an official review by The Automotive India.

New Maurti Swift Front.JPG

It is a no brainer, ever since the debut, Swift has proved itself as a jackpot product for Maruti Suzuki. But with the intense competition, the company felt the heat and it eventually became necessary for them to upgrade to an entirely new model. Now keeping up with the trend of its success story, New Swift still continues to please the buyers, which is quite evident considering the tremendous response by receiving over lakh bookings just after the launch, in no time. New Swift is one of the biggest launches of this year and also it was much anticipated since very beginning. So this has left many buyers in huge expectations and hopes, but can this new model really live up to those expectations? Well, let’s find out.

At a first glance, some may not be able to quickly make out the new changes in this design since the car more or less still continues to carry the same body language as earlier. But after an observation, one can eventually spot those good bits, with the major ones being, bigger, stretched head and tail lamps which help in keeping the looks of Swift pleasant, generic as ever, it also directly benefits by making it appealing for all kind of age groups. Best upgrade however are the fresh design of alloy wheels which look fantastic to say the least. The side profile design is same like old swift, only significant difference here is that the new swift is now bigger in length by 90 mm and wheelbase has been also stretched by 40 mm, although it does not really affect either exterior design or interior space much. The width has been also increased by 5mm, but height remains unchanged. Overall the build quality is step ahead and feels solid. Thankfully, gone are those uneven panel gaps and in fact, the paint quality is admirable as well. These less exterior changes perhaps indicate that Maruti Suzuki wants to play safe in market with their all time best seller and we won’t be surprised, if it still remains one of the favorite choices among car modifiers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review.

In which area's Punto 1.3 MJD (76BHP) scores over Swift DDIS and vice versa?

Any specific reason of inclusion of Aveo in comparison list?

Great review Surfer! You have covered all aspects nicely. Sounds like a total formal review [cheers]

For me except for the front, car looks big if looked in profile or from rear. Rear bumper is totally out of design and looks bulkier. Biggest upgrade is the interiors. I have been driving the very first variant and the interiors have matured a lot since then. Rear seat comfort and space has only marginally increased. Suspension is almost the same. Car still has body roll and I do not want to talk about the rattles. Also, I have heard but not felt, brakes are inadequate in L and V versions.

Biggest positive point is the engine refinement and driveability. It beats any car hands down. I have not driven Jazz, but I am sure it will give a run for its money to the japanese behemoth's engine too.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Nice review.
Thanks JazzSelect
In which area's Punto 1.3 MJD (76BHP) scores over Swift DDIS and vice versa?
Both engines are more or less same, Only punto has bit more initial lag which is not there in swift.
Raj,Jaydev can speak more on punto engine.
Also in punto NVH levels are more than swift.

Any specific reason of inclusion of Aveo in comparison list?
No -I have compared swift with all Hatches in segment.

Thread Starter #9
Great review Surfer! You have covered all aspects nicely. Sounds like a total formal review [cheers]
Thanks dude [;)]

For me except for the front, car looks big if looked in profile or from rear. Rear bumper is totally out of design and looks bulkier. Biggest upgrade is the interiors. I have been driving the very first variant and the interiors have matured a lot since then. Rear seat comfort and space has only marginally increased. Suspension is almost the same.
Yes , Agree

Car still has body roll and I do not want to talk about the rattles.
Body roll was not much, lets hope it will not rattle.

Also, I have heard but not felt, brakes are inadequate in L and V versions.
Dont know, But I had driven both ZDI and ZXI and breaks IMO were excellent.

Biggest positive point is the engine refinement and driveability. It beats any car hands down. I have not driven Jazz, but I am sure it will give a run for its money to the japanese behemoth's engine too.
Yes it is best.

Yeah that true. As per ACI also, new K12 engine with VVTI is even more refined than iVTEC.

It was a comprehensive review. The one negative point about swift is waiting period which we can hope will soon be corrected.

One thing I noticed about the ex-showroom prices (Delhi). Maruti website is showing different prices. Have these been revised recently?

Model Shown As per site
LXI 434993 422341
LDI 510408 517162

Similalry for other versions also.

Top Bottom